Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you handle this...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will start with a bit of background. The building where I work (and run my business) has increasingly tried to improve their LEED rating (as an environmentally friendly) building. When I saw they were doing this, I took the opportunity to really petition them to install an EV charger. So, about 2 years ago, they put in a Chargepoint charger. I was ecstatic. It is located in our parking garage and it is free (which is an even bigger score). Right now, we only have about 3-4 regular EV's in our lot and the charger gets very limited use. It's been ICED a few times, but not a huge problem. Our lot has both monthly parkers and day parkers. The day rate is $12 for the day and the monthly is $180. I have 4 monthly parking passes for myself and my staff.

So, in the past 3 weeks there has been a Model Y owner that has "parked" in the charging spot on 3 occasions, not plugged in at all. The charging spot is very conveniently located next to the elevators but even if you were forced to park in the worst spot on the garage, you're walk to the elevator would never bee more than about 50 meters. It is a small garage and well designed that yoiu never really have a long walk.

After the third parkedoccasion, (now the fourth time the car was parked in the spot not charging) I left (what I thought) was a very courteous note simply saying something like "as an EV owner it is important we keep these spots open for other EVs in case someone needs an urgent charge and the spot was not a parking spot". I don't know that the person got the note for sure, although I have no reason to believe they did not.

Unfortunately, my note didn't seem to work and the Model Y owner continues to use this as a parking spot. I went to the building security and management and they don't seem to have any interest in moving any vehicles from this spot that aren't charging. Do I just leave it alone and let is slide? My concern is that there are only two charging spots for the entire garage. I use it, only as I need to (as I still do most of my charging at home), but frankly it annoys me that a fellow EV owner has such poor etiquette. What would you do?

Definitely sounds like a face to face conversation is in order. however I'm petty so I would just drag the car out of the spot and leave a note for charging only.

really though can you not beat them to the spot in the morning and be there when they roll in to take "their" parking spot and remind the person that there are other EVs that need to use the spot to charge. I know it should not be on you to have to educate but some people do not care they are being inconsiderate if they are not told to their face about it.

Reactions: corlaandstan
get some wood pcs, use a soldering iron to burn, you much be charging to park here, place them in front of their tires as if you were using a tire chalk, so when they try to pull out the car won't move and they will have to get out and move them, repeat until they stop parking there

Definitely sounds like a face to face conversation is in order. however I'm petty so I would just drag the car out of the spot and leave a note for charging only.

really though can you not beat them to the spot in the morning and be there when they roll in to take "their" parking spot and remind the person that there are other EVs that need to use the spot to charge. I know it should not be on you to have to educate but some people do not care they are being inconsiderate if they are not told to their face about it.
When I was working on the building to bring in a charging station, I did so for some pretty altruistic reasons, not because I cared to become the parking police. I really don't want to engage in a game of cat and mouse with this person, but I think if I could time it where I see them in person, I'm hopeful an adult conversation will do the trick (although I am starting to get the sneaking suspicion it might not because now he/she seems to parking in the charging spot everyday).

Reactions: Vawlkus
I'm reviving my own old thread out of simple frustration with they Model Y owner. I'm rip snorting mad (at my building) and this awful woman driving this Model Y. I'm tempted to post a picture of her vehicle and licence plate here.

So, let's get to the "not so bad" part first... We have a new EV in the building. Polestar. Guy gets in super early and take one of the two charging spots pretty much everyday. I think that's fair game but he often gets a full charge and just stays plugged in for anywhere from 2-3 hours after he's charged. I got my new Model S with Sentry so what does my camera catch...

Polestar guy comes out of the elevator with Model Y lady who is parked next to the staircase. He's done charging. He waits by his car while she drives around, he pulls out, she pulls in. He takes her spot right next to the stairs, she take the charging spot, not affording anyone else a chance. Frankly, this had NO effect on me personally but now we have abut 8 EV's in the building do others are not being given an opportunity.

Fast forward to yesterday...

I have a handicapped employee. She parks in the appropriate designated area, there is ONLY one spot. She comes to the office, after having to walk much more than she should have to and upset because "someone without a placard was in the handicapped spot". I went down to see... and low and behold it was Madame Model Y. No placard, she's not disabled, in fact, her only disability might be the six inch stilletos I saw her with from my Sentry mode.

I took pics and sent it to the building. Her explanation... "she was only there temporarily, while she was waiting for Mr. Polestar to move his car". She was probably parked there for 30-45 minutes. Other than a "warning", our building really did nothing.

I think all of this is a result of a few factors...

1. Human nature is inherently bad and offering "free" anything (like charging) brings out the worst in people.

2. Laziness is a disease. Both Ms. Model Y and Mr. Polestar refuse to park anywhere more than a few feet from the elevator entrance (charger is 10-15 feet away). They will literally move mountains to ensure they don't have to walk more than a few steps.

Was thinking of leaving a picture of her car parked in the handicapped spot right by the elevator bank saying notifying other tenants. Really efing annoyed.