Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you like to see the Auto Pilot improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have your side mirrors set correctly that should not occur. As per a safe driving course I took recently, the correct way to set the left mirror is to have your head touch the left window and adjust the mirror so you don't see the side of your car. Then stretch your neck to the right as much as you did for the left and repeat the mirror setting for the right side.

PS: pls don't kill me on this..quoting straight out of that safe driver instructions. But after being a driver for 30+ years I learnt something new and I actually was able to reduce the blind spot.

I don't know about my head touching the driver's window, but I already set my mirror to show nothing of my car (I know it's there, I don't need confirmation, I'm sitting in it). However, some people find it unsettling to view an "untethered" mirror (possibly the same ones who find leaving the rear fish eye camera on to be uncomfortable). IME, I don't think it's enough. Maybe I'll have to get two of those add-on mirrors; I wonder if they'll interfere with folding the mirror.

If you have your side mirrors set correctly that should not occur. As per a safe driving course I took recently, the correct way to set the left mirror is to have your head touch the left window and adjust the mirror so you don't see the side of your car. Then stretch your neck to the right as much as you did for the left and repeat the mirror setting for the right side.

PS: pls don't kill me on this..quoting straight out of that safe driver instructions. But after being a driver for 30+ years I learnt something new and I actually was able to reduce the blind spot.
Nobody is going to kill you for that comment -- I think it's great driving advice. However there is a lot of value in a long range (hundreds of feet) radar setup too. It would allow you to see a rapidly overtaking car (it isn't unusual in rush hour traffic for an HOV lane or motorcycle to have a 30+mph differential). You could get really unlucky with your mirrors and from the few seconds between your visual check and vehicle movement the situation could've changed a lot.

The assistance systems are supposed to buy you additional safety margin and obviously don't replace good human judgement ... But a super solid BSM system *does* add confidence.

Reactions: xkwizit
I don't know about setting my head against the window, that would leave a grease spot. :)

I like to set my mirrors using reference points. So looking out the back window I find something that is at the extreme edges. Then I move the side mirrors so I just see those objects in them. This way I know I have the entire field of view covered. Note you have to (should) do this while standing still.

Good tip, regardless of the car you drive -- thanks!

I live on an Island which has one main road. The road is narrow and has no shoulders. Initially my Model X was able to easily drive the five miles from the bridge coming on the island to my house. It worked great at least 25 times in both directions. About three weeks ago something changed and my X starting driving closer to the right edge. Unlike a normal road with a shoulder if you misgage the lane and go over the edge you end up in the water.

The first time I started having problems I had to take control of the car several times to prevent the car from going over the edge. I have tried to use autopilot several times since with the same results.

I have found you can't rely on the X to know when there is a car in your blind spot. Also lane-keep doesn't work. Where I though autopilot and the other driver assist technologies were going to be great based on what was in the Model X manual I now find they are unreliable and pretty much useless.

Later this week I am taking in my Model X for a recall and to fix a bunch of small stuff. I want them to show me how driver assist works as maybe it is just me.

@Darryl - if the car is not centering in the lane, typically it's either the front camera is not picking up the lines and/or the ultrasonic sensors on one side have an obstruction.
When I picked up the car from my detailer after the wrap, the sensor on front driver side fell in and thus the car wouldn't keep its center.
Good idea to put it on the list for SC to check.

Where I though autopilot and the other driver assist technologies were going to be great based on what was in the Model X manual I now find they are unreliable and pretty much useless.
I debated getting it too for all your reasons. I have tried to use it a number of times and it is only marginally good on freeways IMHO. But I made the investment and am willing to wait Tesla, and all of their loyal testers, to perfect the system in the not too distant future.

Mine is pretty solid too. I wouldn't rely on it to see cars in blind spot though. Up thread (I think), someone mentioned that ultrasonic sensors tend to lose accuracy at higher speeds. Great for figuring out parking spaces, tough when you're going 60 and a car is going a different speed near you. I don't want to restart the BSM discussion though

I wonder how much depends on "learning" from the fleet and how many Teslas have been on the portion of road you're on? We'll never know, I guess.

I would improve it by allowing the owner to modify whether the car tries to stay perfectly centered, or more to one side. I must drive closer to the right line, because when AP is on, I always feel like I am too close to left line, but it is centered.

Agreed with everyone on Tesla brakes too late when approaching a stopped vehicle.

Regarding passing truck and the car drives on center of the lane, I don't know if everyone notices that you can snug and hold (just enough that you don't over ride the autopilot) the wheel a bit to pull the car to one side of the lane. It is one of the undocumented I think. Once you pass that truck, you can release the wheel and it drives itself back to center of the lane..

Let me know if this works for you

What is the likelihood that Tesla will offer a hardware upgrade to AutoPilot version 2 on the X?

Not exactly on topic, but that's been the subject of a lot of debate - and the real answer likely hinges on just what AP 2.0 is, and when it arrives.

If 2.0 (1.5?) is just the triple camera module that someone came across a little while back I think there's a good chance it'll be updateable on the X at least, and likely on both. That'd probably be introduced this summer/fall.

If AP 2.0 is the eight camera multiple radar system Mobileye has mentioned, I doubt it'll be upgradeable - but I don't expect to see that system until next year at the earliest.

So we wait. :)

• Informative
Reactions: BrianD