Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Not asking what you think will happen; How would you prefer to pay for supercharging?

• ~$2k at purchase. 'Free' forever

Votes: 189 46.6%
  • Pay per (insert whatever here); Assume cost is similar to 50mpg car ~$6/150 miles

Votes: 217 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar City has nothing to do with selling power.

They are a solar company that supplies and installs solar panels.

Actually their business model is leasing panels and becoming a PPA provider. So they are more of a power provider. I priced them out once and buying panels from them is very expensive and not really want they want you to do.

So have you ever tried to push paperwork through a state's utility board?

If they're not deep now, they will be if they decide to start reselling electricity.
No, I haven't tried that...however I've had to push paperwork through the NSA to get a solar farm built. It was a mess.

The only reason I make my statement about SC's not being that deep of a thing is because its super easy to setup your own power distribution stations at your house and advertise it. All you have to do is install Nema plugs and let people know that you have one....and then they come over and charge up their cars and then they pay you or xyz for it.

There are quite a few google.maps type apps that will direct you to "peoples houses" and such to take advantage of this if you choose.

Actually their business model is leasing panels and becoming a PPA provider. So they are more of a power provider. I priced them out once and buying panels from them is very expensive and not really want they want you to do.
They are indeed NOT a power provider. Come on people. Leasing panels / Installing Panels.....who cares. They aren't selling power by the KWH.
You guys know what I mean....you are just playing games of semantics. I've been in the Solar Business for a long long time. I know what I'm talking about concerning this topic.

No, I haven't tried that...however I've had to push paperwork through the NSA to get a solar farm built. It was a mess.

The only reason I make my statement about SC's not being that deep of a thing is because its super easy to setup your own power distribution stations at your house and advertise it. All you have to do is install Nema plugs and let people know that you have one....and then they come over and charge up their cars and then they pay you or xyz for it.

There are quite a few google.maps type apps that will direct you to "peoples houses" and such to take advantage of this if you choose.

That I have no doubt about.

It may or may not be on the "up and up" though, depending on where you live.

in Massachusetts, selling power without being subject to state regulation is a huge no-no, and you should be prepared to lawyer up if you're caught doing it.

Unfortunately, in many states/counties/whatever jurisdictions, unless they partner with someone, they're going to have to file as a "utility" to be allowed to resell power.
How are the other charging companies doing it? Are they all registered as resellers?

I know they are in a lot of states that probably have varying laws. If it really is as complex as everyone says, it might be something, and I really hate to say this, that the government should look into to make it easier for chargers to be built in all states since it will eventually become a neccesary piece of the infrastructure.

Reactions: Red Sage
That I have no doubt about.

It may or may not be on the "up and up" though, depending on where you live.

in Massachusetts, selling power without being subject to state regulation is a huge no-no, and you should be prepared to lawyer up if you're caught doing it.
That may be true. Here are a few companies that post EV charging stations ( Home, etc).

PlugShare
EVSE | Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations - ChargePoint
Open Charge Map - The global public registry of electric vehicle charging locations
CarStations | Charging Stations App & Map for Electric Cars and Plugin Hybrids
ChargePoint

There are tons of them. Almost all Highway overpass gas stations have them. They are independently owned charge stations. Selling Electricity.

How are the other charging companies doing it? Are they all registered as resellers?

I know they are in a lot of states that probably have varying laws. If it really is as complex as everyone says, it might be something, and I really hate to say this, that the government should look into to make it easier for chargers to be built in all states since it will eventually become a neccesary piece of the infrastructure.

here in MA, there are a bunch of Level 2 chargers at a regional restaurant chain, "the 99". Those chargers are part of the chargepoint network, but they're part of a partnership with National Grid, a local utility.

Chargepoint themselves are (not) a registered reseller. ***EDIT: they are not an authorized reseller....they handle the POS transaction, but technically National Grid, or EverSource are the resellers (depending on location of the charging station)

They do it to prevent price gouging, which is good for the consumer, but can be a PITA if you're attempting to be a reseller.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dsvick

I don't have any facts on re-selling, but to become a member of PlugShare - I didn't have to register to become anything. I just bought the unit. Installed it on my house. and that's it.

here in MA, there are a bunch of Level 2 chargers at a regional restaurant chain, "the 99". Those chargers are part of the chargepoint network, but they're part of a partnership with National Grid, a local utility.

Chargepoint themselves are a registered reseller.

They do it to prevent price gouging, which is good for the consumer, but can be a PITA if you're attempting to be a reseller.
BMW, NISSAN and other dealerships have them. I wonder if they have become re-sellers or if they are giving electricity away for free.

Maybe..... I know that in the past 6 months....I've not had anyone use it. I don't use it.

Here's the list of "Authorized Sellers" in MA (no Tesla or Solar City listed):
ByLicense

And the "resources" page for people looking to become authorized:
Helpful Resources for Competitive Suppliers, Brokers

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I used to work for National Grid, and the Service Level Agreements for availability, of not only power distribution, but safety hotlines, IT systems, reporting, etc etc etc were very onerous. Somewhere above 98%, and penalties charged for long restoral times.

I'm not sure if it would be that way for EV charging, if so, it may make Tesla think about partnering with someone to be a reseller, which would be unfortunate, because the kWH rate would likely be a little higher to cover the cost of the partnership. :(

Here's the list of "Authorized Sellers" in MA (no Tesla or Solar City listed):
ByLicense

And the "resources" page for people looking to become authorized:
Helpful Resources for Competitive Suppliers, Brokers

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I used to work for National Grid, and the Service Level Agreements for availability, of not only power distribution, but safety hotlines, IT systems, reporting, etc etc etc were very onerous. Somewhere above 98%, and penalties charged for long restoral times.

I'm not sure if it would be that way for EV charging, if so, it may make Tesla think about partnering with someone to be a reseller, which would be unfortunate, because the kWH rate would likely be a little higher to cover the cost of the partnership. :(
Yes.... and that's my point. Tesla isn't a re-seller because it would require them to charge by local rates.

They currently don't have to deal with rates.

I think what Tesla is doing is superb because if they either build $2500 in per car or offer a lifetime $2500 option at purchase.....very few people will EVER use up $2500 worth of electricity - Even in Hawaii, Connecticut or Mass.
I would suggest that Tesla continue with what they are doing because if they start charging on a per use basis.....they would lose all of that ( I'm not using SC at all even though I paid for it ) profit.

They are indeed NOT a power provider. Come on people. Leasing panels / Installing Panels.....who cares. They aren't selling power by the KWH.
You guys know what I mean....you are just playing games of semantics. I've been in the Solar Business for a long long time. I know what I'm talking about concerning this topic.

Actually, selling power by the kWh is exactly what SolarCity does with PPA.

Reactions: ohmman
Actually, selling power by the kWh is exactly what SolarCity does with PPA.
No they are not. There is no one here that can provide a receipt from Solar City where they purchased KWH of electricity.

I know how this works....an interconnection agreement is established with the local power company between the homeowner and the power company. I currently have one that I established myself ( without Solar City or anyone else) . Its a 20 year agreement of what I'm going to pay per kwh to my local company. Solar City may help establish that with the local power company and Solar City may pay the bill to the local provider on behalf of the customer.....but they are NOT selling power.

Solar City doesn't even generate power. They lease panels out.

So when I sign an agreement with Solar City to buy power from them for $.12/kWh for 20 years, that's not selling me power? How do you define PPA agreements then?

I have gotten several PPA quotes from several vendors and they always have it set up as a price per kWh that I am buying from them.