Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Not asking what you think will happen; How would you prefer to pay for supercharging?

• ~$2k at purchase. 'Free' forever

Votes: 189 46.6%
  • Pay per (insert whatever here); Assume cost is similar to 50mpg car ~$6/150 miles

Votes: 217 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
I don't know what the SC'ing rate is going to be.... however this will keep SC's from being congested in the future. The only reason I would SC with a M3 would be if their rate is lower than my home rate.

Since I hardly ever travel via car.
Superchargers that are on popular routes and at desirable locations will always run the risk of being congested on busy days. The exact same locations may seem unbearable around Thanksgiving and practically abandoned on Bastille Day. Tesla Motors can work toward diminishing the occurrence of inconvenience or crowding, but can never prevent or eliminate it.

Ultimately this is neither a pay-as-you-go, nor a subscription plan. It is a prepaid service. Thus, the same as before. Tesla Motors wants your dough up front. Before you plug in. So no, you will not be billed once a month and you will not be payingat the pump. Exactly as I have said all along.
...exactly? :rolleyes:

Ultimately this is neither a pay-as-you-go, nor a subscription plan. It is a prepaid service. Thus, the same as before.

The article reads: Tesla updated its website to show a hidden payment option to buy ‘Supercharger credits’ per KWh block.

This is not the same as before at all. There has never been: ‘Supercharger credits’ per KWh block. There has only been Supercharger free for life of the car or not.

Tesla Motors wants your dough up front. Before you plug in. So no, you will not be billed once a month and you will not be paying at the pump. Exactly as I have said all along.

How can you possibly take from this article that it's not pay-as-you go or prepaid plan because Tesla wants your money up front? Many subscriptions require payments in advance, as do many pre-paid plans.

Please explain.

...exactly? :rolleyes:

movinggoalpost.gif

The article reads: Tesla updated its website to show a hidden payment option to buy ‘Supercharger credits’ per KWh block.

This is not the same as before at all. There has never been: ‘Supercharger credits’ per KWh block. There has only been Supercharger free for life of the car or not.

How can you possibly take from this article that it's not pay-as-you go or prepaid plan because Tesla wants your money up front? Many subscriptions require payments in advance, as do many pre-paid plans.

Please explain.
He said not a subscription. He specifically said that it IS prepaid. Subscriptions are more like Netflix, where you pay a set amount and use whatever you can during that time period. Once your time is up, you pay to continue using. This is more like buying tickets to the movies in bulk instead of going to the window at theatre each time. You always have those tickets sitting in your drawer, until you use them up. Then you have to buy some more... which is exactly what I've been saying they'll do for years.

Superchargers that are on popular routes and at desirable locations will always run the risk of being congested on busy days. The exact same locations may seem unbearable around Thanksgiving and practically abandoned on Bastille Day. Tesla Motors can work toward diminishing the occurrence of inconvenience or crowding, but can never prevent or eliminate it.

Since superchargers are supposed to be networked, I wonder if, in the future, they could add a sensor to see if a car is parked in a given spot and allow users to see real time stats before even making the journey to the supercharger.

Since superchargers are supposed to be networked, I wonder if, in the future, they could add a sensor to see if a car is parked in a given spot and allow users to see real time stats before even making the journey to the supercharger.
They're already capable of this, and I thought the "End of range anxiety" update was supposed to integrate that into the OS Nav. Guess not.

He said not a subscription.

I guess he did say it's not a subscription but at the same time he said:

It is a prepaid service. Thus, the same as before.

I don't see it as the same as before at all. Paying once for a lifetime of service is very different than what the article reads:

Tesla updated its website to show a hidden payment option to buy ‘Supercharger credits’ per KWh block.

So really, whatever you call it, it's very different than before, which is the main point.

This is what I thought they would do to attempt to avoid congestion at the Superchargers with the arrival of the Model 3.

Please explain.
I already explained. It is a PREPAID system. You pay first. For the car, or for the option. It is not a bill-me-later system, as some have requested. It is not a fee assessed at the time of plug-in as a PoS. It is a separate amount, paid ahead of time in order to use Superchargers. Just as before. The amount will likely be much lower and for a limited time, number of charges. But it will NOT be for the amount of time you are plugged in.

Now, why don't you understand that?

He said not a subscription. He specifically said that it IS prepaid. Subscriptions are more like Netflix, where you pay a set amount and use whatever you can during that time period. Once your time is up, you pay to continue using. This is more like buying tickets to the movies in bulk instead of going to the window at theatre each time. You always have those tickets sitting in your drawer, until you use them up. Then you have to buy some more... which is exactly what I've been saying they'll do for years.
The point is that it is not the same as before. Also, given the context is the code shows up in the payment method section to remember your card information, it does not exclude a pay per use option either (I don't know where that assumption comes from).

I already explained. It is a PREPAID system. You pay first. For the car, or for the option. It is not a bill-me-later system, as some have requested. It is not a fee assessed at the time of plug-in as a PoS. It is a separate amount, paid ahead of time in order to use Superchargers.

Yes, I agree with the above.

Just as before.

No, that's where you are wrong. What we have now is UNLIMITED supercharging for a flat fee (bundled into the price of the car). What is being discussed is METERED supercharger use. You prepay an amount that entitles you to a LIMITED amount of supercharging. That's a big difference.

Reactions: Canuck

Because it is not the same as before. In fact, it is not at all the same as before. Before it was unlimited supercharging. This is not unlimited supercharging.

Also, given the context is the code shows up in the payment method section to remember your card information, it does not exclude a pay per use option either (I don't know where that assumption comes from).

Good point. I think the only thing for certain to come from this new information is that it is not the same as before.

I already explained. It is a PREPAID system. You pay first. For the car, or for the option. It is not a bill-me-later system, as some have requested. It is not a fee assessed at the time of plug-in as a PoS. It is a separate amount, paid ahead of time in order to use Superchargers. Just as before. The amount will likely be much lower and for a limited time, number of charges. But it will NOT be for the amount of time you are plugged in.

One neat thing about TMC is that once you post something, we can refer back to it later. I really don't want to pick on you here, but you've been pretty vocal in the past about this, and finding evidence of your position isn't terribly difficult. Just a few of the first results using the search icon at the top right:

~*SIGH*~

A 'small fee' per use would deter legitimate needs to charge long before it did so to so-called 'abusers'. They do what they do because that is their mission in life. They live to make the lives of others miserable, any way they can. Anywhere they can.
[snip]
This type of deterrent would have a terrible effect. Please. Don't worry about it. Everything will be fine. Without pay-per-use.

I can only go with my personal hopes... That there will be limited Supercharger access (included in the base Model ☰), and unlimited Supercharger access (as a paid option, or with higher capacity battery packs). That would be fair, I think.
  • Those who could live with the limited Supercharger network have no great out-of-pocket expense.
  • Those who only want the base version of the car and don't need more range than it offers can opt-in to full Supercharger access without upgrading to a higher capacity battery pack.
  • Those who want maximum range will get full Supercharger access by default.
I like that. This way there is no pay-per-use, no credit cards, no subscription plan. Simple. Easy. Sorted.

Actually? I strongly believe that 'FREE for LIFE!' Supercharger access may not be available as it is for Model S. Meaning, it will not be for the life of the car, so much as it is for the term of ownership by the original purchaser. Thus, if you sell the car, someone else will have to pay the activation fee for Supercharger access again, if they want it... At least, on the base version of the car. Those who purchase a car at a trim level with Supercharger access included by default will get it 'FREE for LIFE', without any further rigmarole, if they resell it later. My guess is that on trade-ins that become CPO cars, Tesla Motors will simply unlock them to their full potential for resale, then set prices accordingly.

Once again, processing multiple financial transactions per car over the course of years will cost more than processing a single one at the time of purchase.

Maybe what you're trying to say is that this isn't what you've been saying all along, but you're happy with the outcome?

:)

I am not sure Tesla needs to recoup the cost of the super charging stations that are already being paid for by other means. What Tesla needs to target is overuse of the superstations that will lead to unrealistic waiting times. If Tesla's per use cost is set by their average national cost for electricity, owners of the Model 3 that do not pay for the lifetime fee would likely charge at home instead of using the super charging stations. The per use cost that only pays for Tesla's electricity cost will silence naysayers that will use a higher fee to attack Te
I am not sure Tesla needs to recoup the cost of the super charging stations that are already being paid for by other means. What Tesla needs to target is overuse of the superstations that will lead to unrealistic waiting times. If Tesla's per use cost is set by their average national cost for electricity, owners of the Model 3 that do not pay for the lifetime fee would likely charge at home instead of using the super charging stations. The per use cost that only pays for Tesla's electricity cost will silence naysayers that will use a higher fee to attack Tesla.
If you select the model S vehicle from the Tesla site and go to the "Charging Estimator" section, Tesla list the cost per mile for electricity. Tesla should use this listed price for charging per use of a super charger based on the miles added to your vehicle battery. Charging more than their listed price would be a contradiction to their published cost.
If you select the model S vehicle from the Tesla site and go to the "Charging Estimator" section, Tesla list the cost per mile for electricity. Tesla should use this listed price for charging per use of a super charger based on the miles added to your vehicle battery. Charging more than their listed price would be a contradiction to their published cost.
If Tesla is going to charge per kWh, I believe they will not charge more than their cost per mile in their "Charging Estimator". Therefore we can get a close estimate for a 50 kWh charge by looking at their new 100 kWh battery that goes 315 miles. If you plug 155 miles into their "Charging Estimator", they show a cost of $6.22. Therefore, an estimated cost for a 50 kWh charge would be around $6 or $.12 per kWh.

Another way to do the calculation is plug in the 215 estimate miles for the Model 3 into their "Charging Estimator" for a cost of $8.63.

I believe Tesla's current "Charging Estimator" does not take into account that the new model 3 will have a more efficient battery with more miles per kWh charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage