Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you rate the Model S VIN > 42 Interior?

How would you rate the current Model S Interior?

• 1 (So bad I won't buy a Model S)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.3%

Votes: 5 5.7%

Votes: 7 8.0%

Votes: 16 18.2%

Votes: 11 12.5%

Votes: 14 15.9%

Votes: 25 28.4%

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • 10 (Just about Perfect)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a number of TMC folks seeing the most recent Model S interior first hand, and the number of suggestions and criticisms, I think it's time we take a poll to see just how much we like the Model S interior.

Please be sure you've at least seen the pictures/videos of the recent Beta Builds (VINs 43 & 44) or later. The interior has changed since the October factory beta test rides.

Sat in all four cars today. Red and white were much better than other too. Not Mercedes quality, but almost good enough.
That being said, I am moving up from a Honda Civic Hybrid, where the center console bugs my right leg after long drives.

I've looked at as many as I could but the problem is that they all seem to be white leather, which really turns me off. I see on the options page that fabric seats are available, so I'm not too concerned with anything but the lack of storage.

Disclaimer, I've not seen the interior in person, just all the images posted here on the TMC..

The interior layout is just meh... the dash angles and lines that surround the touchscreen and vents are awkward. Poor symmetry, poor spacing, why are the vents so angular and trapezoidal and non symmetrical? Really odd given the beauty of the exterior. Too much use of chrome plastic? for the air vents scream 1970's. It's a mishmash of textures and colors of leather, plastic, satin silver bezel, black and chrome air vents, then add lacewood/banana leaf/piano black/cf trim to it. It's just odd given the high-tech nature of the touch-screen to have such retro looking design. They have all that aluminum stamping equipment, I personally would love to see a more modern aluminum-esque interior.

Frankly, none of the interior trim (lacewood, banana leaf, nor piano black) appeal to me. I'd choose CF but am not getting the performance trim, so that's out. Maybe someone will come out with aftermarket replacement for the dash in some sort of brushed/anodized aluminum or matte/glossy CF as well.

Need to see it in person to draw up an opinion since pictures won't be able to reproduce the overall impression you get when sitting in and experiencing the dimensions. I'll vote once I've seen the car, most likely in Bellevue in about 2 weeks.

Time to vote in my own poll!

I voted a 6: Not good enough to entice me, but not bad enough to discourage me. Edit: I think their big concern was integrating the big touchscreen, and they did a pretty good job of that. Some materials could be better, some chrome could not be chrome, and some storage is sorely lacking (as has been discussed elsewhere).

I have some little nits on the touchscreen - for instance the seat heater up/down controls are drawn exactly the same as the stereo volume up/down control, and they're all in the same row along the bottom. I think they should differentiate the controls so that you don't have to read the text to know what you're turning up.

As driver, I'd probably use the steering wheel volume control, so it makes sense that the touchscreen volume control is closer to the passenger, but maybe the placement of these controls could be improved, too. At any rate, since this is all software, it's easily improved later on. Like touchscreen remotes for home theater, I hope Tesla makes an SDK available so that user's can customize the control placement and rendering on the touchscreen.

Last edited:
I like the design, many of the color options for the interior looks very good to me, hopefully it feels just as good in rl. Personally I like large armrests and the cup holders could be placed more forward, some added compartments would be nice also but we will see what they come up with later on. I like the steering wheel and the controls seem functional combined with the information on the speedometer. Just like smorgasbord I'm hoping for some customization on the displays to be available later which would be great, I really like customization. The seats are important but i don't know anything about them yet but they look nice from what I have seen. Why are the doors so thick? who knows but I don't think they look bad and if they offer some protection and sound dampening that's all good.

I went with an 8. The items that I don't like about the interior are the near flat front seats, the rear seats need a little bolstering as well, storage (the lack there of) in the doors and near the driver other than the glove box, the softness of the leather on the seating surfaces (may not hold up against denim). I know tweaks are coming so my complaints may be addressed with the production interior.

Gave an 8 based on the photos only as I have not seen Beta in person. It is a high tech vehicle; but with the exception of the touchscreen, the interior somehow does not match the exterior's beauty and curves.

For me it's so close. Stunningly elegant.

Cover up the rest of the seats and dash etc. with "extensive leather".
Add a pocket on the back seat for the kids books.
Extend the arm rest a couple inches.
Make sure the cup holders can take a standard mug.
Add a single small spot for sunglasses and phone

Unfortunately I got the impression that even Sigs have the black plastic on the top of the dash (and on the back of the seats - yuck!) Not really clear what they mean by extensive leather throughout when compared to production models but maybe someone else got a better idea of that.

For me it's so close. Stunningly elegant.

Cover up the rest of the seats and dash etc. with "extensive leather".
Add a pocket on the back seat for the kids books.
Extend the arm rest a couple inches.
Make sure the cup holders can take a standard mug.
Add a single small spot for sunglasses and phone

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.