Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you rate the Model S?

How would you rate the Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK - shoot me...but kind of an unfair poll. Since it is based on first impressions, and probably nobody voting owns one yet, we may all have a build in bias. Plus - us just being here on this board demonstrates a heightened awareness :) It may be more valuable to wait until people start actually living with one and do it again.

OK - shoot me...but kind of an unfair poll. Since it is based on first impressions, and probably nobody voting owns one yet, we may all have a build in bias. Plus - us just being here on this board demonstrates a heightened awareness :) It may be more valuable to wait until people start actually living with one and do it again.

Not having the car in hand hasn't stopped us before from passing judgment on many aspects of the car ;) Must... kill... more... time...!

As an appliance the Model S is great; if you are looking for a car with with passion and character not so much. For a moment, I thought Tesla would be designing a sedan with as much character as the roadster; instead they designed a 4 door appliance.
I honestly don't understand why the roadster has more character and passion then Model S. Maybe if we call "character" difficulty to get in and almost impossibility to get out? To have "passion" and "character" Tesla needs time. Tesla needs history. Cars with passion and character made the history. But not any car can make history with time. Toyota and Honda had enough time. No passion, no character, no history. Tesla has a chance. We will see the result.
And, any car is an appliance. They all do the job: move your body from point A to point B. But Model S, being basically iPad on four wheels, does it in style. So far we have 12000 extravagant enough people including myself willing to drive very fast trolley with iPad. Not sure that Tesla will find many more. But again, we will see. Very soon.

I honestly don't understand why the roadster has more character and passion then Model S. Maybe if we call "character" difficulty to get in and almost impossibility to get out? To have "passion" and "character" Tesla needs time. Tesla needs history. Cars with passion and character made the history. But not any car can make history with time. Toyota and Honda had enough time. No passion, no character, no history. Tesla has a chance. We will see the result.
And, any car is an appliance. They all do the job: move your body from point A to point B. But Model S, being basically iPad on four wheels, does it in style. So far we have 12000 extravagant enough people including myself willing to drive very fast trolley with iPad. Not sure that Tesla will find many more. But again, we will see. Very soon.

Have you driven a Roadster?

Tesla has already made history with the Roadster in a lot of people's minds. Look at how the components are packaged in the roadster, it is an unbelievable feat. I am a Model S Performance Sig holder and will 100% take delivery of my Model S but I do not think there is a comparison with regards to which vehicle exudes more passion. I own other sports cars which handle better and are quicker than the roadster but the personal connection I have with my roadsters is something that has not been replicated. Honestly I was hoping for a sedan version of the Roadster, I did not feel that same connection. An appliance is the best way IMO to describe the Model S. The Roadster is special, I would not use that same distinction with the Model S.

operating smoothly... hmm
and test driven S before test drives? hmmm, hmmm
So what gives the Roadster character? The balance of it, or tiny size, or it's looks of a Lotus? Does it drift better than a Model S? more punch off the line and you can overheat the speed control or motor if you want to race it really hard?

I understand the Model S looks similar to many cars but.. it's character is very different

^
aha, S.O.
slow typing :rolleyes:

( I never really wanted a roadster until I started hearing so much from 'you guys' how in love you all are
but in reality - an EV designed to be an EV will be so much better, sorry)

Bonnie, you've driven both right?

If you have some specifics regarding the "character" difference between the two, I'd be interested.

Steering feedback is much more lively in the roadster, I love the Back To The Future plutonium-esque Roadster connector, the striking color combinations, hand stitched interior and the hand made aspect of the roadster (flaws and all), the carbon fiber body which is most clearly visible when the boot lid is open, the airplane whine that only a roadsters' electric motor makes, the elegant but simple UI tesla implemented in the console (perfect for the barebones genre that goes with the roadster), the push button gear selectors (elegant, simple), the shape of the roadster has classic lines (not so sure about the Model S). The Roadster to me has no gimmicks, nothing extraneous, it is the perfect commuter vehicle.

Bonnie, you've driven both right?

If you have some specifics regarding the "character" difference between the two, I'd be interested.

Let me be clear ... I LOVE the Model S. I even had a moment where I thought perhaps I should forgo the X and just get an S now. But, well, that doesn't make sense for me. Not with three large dogs.

The S is just an unbelievable vehicle. I love the styling, think it's sexy as hell, lust after the touchscreen, amazed at the acceleration, how it handles curves, etc.

The Roadster is too noisy to easily take a call while driving. It's quirky at times. It is difficult to get in and out. Two people are cramped. There is one flimsy cupholder that can only be used when there is no passenger. And there is no storage space. (I laugh at all the angst over the lack of S storage space. Really??) If I'm running errands, I mentally check how much I need to pick up vs available places to put it in the Roadster. It is not a convenient vehicle.

But the Roadster is connected to the road. That's what a good sports car does. It's not about luxury and options and center consoles. It's about driving. Every morning I get on a rollercoaster to drive to the office. I've had it for over a year now and it's never been 'just a car'. I've smiled every time I've turned the key and silently backed out of my garage.

I'm looking forward to the X and the trips I'll take in it. But I don't see ever giving up the Roadster. The X will be the vehicle that fits my day-to-day life. I'll take it camping and on roadtrips and will definitely be doing it in style. But the Roadster will be the car that I take to wine country with the top off and enjoy the day.

While I haven't driven the Model S yet I did ride in it at the October Factory event, it seems to have its own character. Defining 'character' for a car is obviously subjective and means different things to different people. I had never owned anything approaching a sports car until I got the Roadster and I love it. As Bonnie said, it never gets old.

That said, I do sometimes wish I could make a hands-free call in the car or that it had a decent cup holder, more storage, keyless entry, a Nav unit that didn't suck....etc. I put up with these things in a daily driver because like smoothoperator said, you feel connected to the road and the ride is so much fun. The Roadster and the Model S may have very different character but that doesn't mean one is necessarily superior to the other. They both serve very different driving needs.

Most people can't get or don't want a sports car for daily use or simply have it for the weekend. The Model S (especially the performance) can be approximate a high-end sports car while being a family sedan and practical at the same time. Might be a more toned down character but I think I'll like it the same. I'll probably drive my Roadster a lot less when the Model S arrives. Already have 12,500 miles on it so it will be tough to see it sitting in the garage. I'll probably go back and forth between the two.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bonnie. Your insight is valuable for those of us not formally in the Tesla family yet.

Having said that, none of what you describe sounds to me like more character of Roadster vs. Model S. It sounds to me more like "appreciation of sports car" coupled with "known character of Roadster."

I'm still puzzled by...
roadster has more character and passion then Model S
... just as Alex was/is.

If the intent of the preceding posts was character in the sense of challenges to overcome for the driver and growing pains of a new company such as Tesla, I certainly hope the S has "less character". Otherwise, the company isn't improving with age and experience and the future of the company won't be rosy.

When I think of character in a car, I think soul. Driving a German car, to me, is usual,y more rewarding and enjoyable than any Japanese car just because an Audi tends to have more soul than a Lexus (IMO of course). If this is what smooth operator meant, then that will be quite unfortunate indeed. However, if he just meant he's disappointed it doesn't feel more like a race car, then I can live with that. The S is a performance sedan, and for me it's replacing another big sedan with poorer performance and handling, not a sports car, so it should be fine.

If the intent of the preceding posts was character in the sense of challenges to overcome for the driver and growing pains of a new company such as Tesla, I certainly hope the S has "less character". Otherwise, the company isn't improving with age and experience and the future of the company won't be rosy.

No, the intent of my post was to 1) respond to your question re the differences between the Model S and a Roadster, and 2) a response to the comment of appliances to move us from point A to point B. I think I was pretty clear that the Model S is everything the Roadster is not. Not sure why you'd think anything I said would indicate that the company isn't improving with age, etc. I've bought even more stock in the last week. That should speak volumes as to what I personally believe is the future of the company.