Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you rate the Model S?

How would you rate the Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Bonnie. Your insight is valuable for those of us not formally in the Tesla family yet.

Having said that, none of what you describe sounds to me like more character of Roadster vs. Model S. It sounds to me more like "appreciation of sports car" coupled with "known character of Roadster."

I'm still puzzled by...

... just as Alex was/is.

If the intent of the preceding posts was character in the sense of challenges to overcome for the driver and growing pains of a new company such as Tesla, I certainly hope the S has "less character". Otherwise, the company isn't improving with age and experience and the future of the company won't be rosy.

please see my post

When I think of character in a car, I think soul. Driving a German car, to me, is usual,y more rewarding and enjoyable than any Japanese car just because an Audi tends to have more soul than a Lexus (IMO of course). If this is what smooth operator meant, then that will be quite unfortunate indeed. However, if he just meant he's disappointed it doesn't feel more like a race car, then I can live with that. The S is a performance sedan, and for me it's replacing another big sedan with poorer performance and handling, not a sports car, so it should be fine.

Yes I found that the Model S was not as rewarding, there was very little road feedback from the steering wheel. The Model S is closer to a Lexus or Acura vs an Italian or German sedan.

@bonnie
By "preceding posts", I mean the ones prior to Alex's.

Edit:

Elaborating. Part of Alex's point, I think, was regarding the 'more' part. The Roadster having more character than the S rather than different character from the S.

I have no idea if that assertion is right or wrong. Hence my query for more information.

Bonnie's reply had 3 parts as I saw it: (a) a nod to the S as having some desirable traits, (b) a discussion of some Roadster owner experience, and (c) an appreciation of the sports car traits that the Roadster offers.

My interpretation:
(a) Counter-argument to the "more" assertion.
(b) Argument for the "character in the sense of challenges to overcome for the driver and growing pains of a new company such as Tesla" meaning of character.
(c) Appreciation for sports car traits rather than Roadster specifically.

Given that information and interpretation, I reached the conclusion in my previous post that only (b) supports the "more" assertion and continued from there.

Perhaps I misunderstood.

Last edited:
Well said Bonnie!

Let me be clear ... I LOVE the Model S. I even had a moment where I thought perhaps I should forgo the X and just get an S now. But, well, that doesn't make sense for me. Not with three large dogs.

The S is just an unbelievable vehicle. I love the styling, think it's sexy as hell, lust after the touchscreen, amazed at the acceleration, how it handles curves, etc.

The Roadster is too noisy to easily take a call while driving. It's quirky at times. It is difficult to get in and out. Two people are cramped. There is one flimsy cupholder that can only be used when there is no passenger. And there is no storage space. (I laugh at all the angst over the lack of S storage space. Really??) If I'm running errands, I mentally check how much I need to pick up vs available places to put it in the Roadster. It is not a convenient vehicle.

But the Roadster is connected to the road. That's what a good sports car does. It's not about luxury and options and center consoles. It's about driving. Every morning I get on a rollercoaster to drive to the office. I've had it for over a year now and it's never been 'just a car'. I've smiled every time I've turned the key and silently backed out of my garage.
I'm looking forward to the X and the trips I'll take in it. But I don't see ever giving up the Roadster. The X will be the vehicle that fits my day-to-day life. I'll take it camping and on roadtrips and will definitely be doing it in style. But the Roadster will be the car that I take to wine country with the top off and enjoy the day.

Yes I found that the Model S was not as rewarding, there was very little road feedback from the steering wheel. The Model S is closer to a Lexus or Acura vs an Italian or German sedan.

For what it's worth, that's exactly what I want. When I want to get out and drive, I want a great experience, not a wrestling match with a steering wheel. During my test drive, I *really* liked the steering and I think it's more of what steering should be. If I want to feel "road feedback", I'll get in my 1960's Mustang without power steering.

Model S is a great, sporty sedan / saloon. It's not a supercar.

For what it's worth, that's exactly what I want. When I want to get out and drive, I want a great experience, not a wrestling match with a steering wheel. During my test drive, I *really* liked the steering and I think it's more of what steering should be. If I want to feel "road feedback", I'll get in my 1960's Mustang without power steering.

Model S is a great, sporty sedan / saloon. It's not a supercar.

Are you getting a performance? It would be nice if the performance package included the option for a sportier steering setup (enthusiasts will be getting the performance and this will be a welcome addition). What car are you coming from? Do you really feel that the Model S Performance is a drivers car? I do not think anyone is asking for supercar steering, but rather steering that is as good as other electric steering setups that other luxury marques have implemented. At 108k the sig performance package should really include a sportier steering setup IMO.

Are you getting a performance? It would be nice if the performance package included the option for a sportier steering setup (enthusiasts will be getting the performance and this will be a welcome addition). What car are you coming from? Do you really feel that the Model S Performance is a drivers car? I do not think anyone is asking for supercar steering, but rather steering that is as good as other electric steering setups that other luxury marques have implemented. At 108k the sig performance package should really include a sportier steering setup IMO.

It does.....Adjustable Steering

Have you driven the Model S yet? those settings just change the amount of effort necessary to turn the wheel. I did not notice a significant difference with regards to road feel when changing those settings... Those settings are available on every Model S and just change the effort required to spin the wheel. Anyone else who has driven the Model S please feel free to chime in (particularly interested in individuals who changed those settings and if they felt a change in the way the steering communicated road feedback).

Smooth's right. My co-pilot cycled through all 3 settings for the steering feel. I couldn't tell any difference in road feel; it seemed to only control how tight the wheel felt. Speaking of which, Standard and worse, Comfort felt rather wimpy. Sport setting was good but, not as good as in BMWs. Would have preferred a stiffer feel in Sport.

Smooth's right. My co-pilot cycled through all 3 settings for the steering feel. I couldn't tell any difference in road feel; it seemed to only control how tight the wheel felt. Speaking of which, Standard and worse, Comfort felt rather wimpy. Sport setting was good but, not as good as in BMWs. Would have preferred a stiffer feel in Sport.

That, unfortunately, is a fault of all electric steering. Most manufacturers that have switched to full EPS have to deal with the incumbent reduced road feel in some way. BMW is harshly criticized for this in the new M5 and current 5 series.

Have you driven the Model S yet? those settings just change the amount of effort necessary to turn the wheel. I did not notice a significant difference with regards to road feel when changing those settings... Those settings are available on every Model S and just change the effort required to spin the wheel. Anyone else who has driven the Model S please feel free to chime in (particularly interested in individuals who changed those settings and if they felt a change in the way the steering communicated road feedback).

I couldn't find the thread for this, but how does the steering work as far as power steering? Is it all electric too or does it need power steering fluid?

I couldn't find the thread for this, but how does the steering work as far as power steering? Is it all electric too or does it need power steering fluid?

Electric steering is shorthand for electric power steering. I don't think a car would meet safety standards if it didn't have a mechanical connection to the wheels. The mechanical connection will be the same as in any other car.

And no, there is no power steering fluid.

Electric steering is shorthand for electric power steering. I don't think a car would meet safety standards if it didn't have a mechanical connection to the wheels. The mechanical connection will be the same as in any other car.

And no, there is no power steering fluid.

A question I ponder from this is how its so easy to switch between smooth and rigid steering. Is that a feature that other cars have nowadays? Or is this unique to the Model S?

A question I ponder from this is how its so easy to switch between smooth and rigid steering. Is that a feature that other cars have nowadays? Or is this unique to the Model S?

I don't know if other cars are adjustable, I know the Prius isn't. The electric steering is either on or off (off only when it's broken--not that mine has ever broke). It's easy in the Model S because the of the advanced display. Basically you just increase or decrease the power to motor (I don't actually know how Tesla controls it, but adding or subtracting the amount of power that the steering motor gets seems like an easy way).

I don't know if other cars are adjustable, I know the Prius isn't. The electric steering is either on or off (off only when it's broken--not that mine has ever broke). It's easy in the Model S because the of the advanced display. Basically you just increase or decrease the power to motor (I don't actually know how Tesla controls it, but adding or subtracting the amount of power that the steering motor gets seems like an easy way).

I like the idea that we can just press a button on an ever-changing console to modify how your car behaves and uses its resources. It is truly a futuristic car. It will be of greater benefit because I imagine people tend to find themselves looking at newer consoles of model cars that are newer cars with envy. The Model S's LCD console doesn't suffer from this and is only a software patch.

I like the idea that we can just press a button on an ever-changing console to modify how your car behaves and uses its resources. It is truly a futuristic car. It will be of greater benefit because I imagine people tend to find themselves looking at newer consoles of model cars that are newer cars with envy. The Model S's LCD console doesn't suffer from this and is only a software patch.

Agreed. I think a lot of people buy a new car just because they are tired of looking at the old display. In the future I would like Telsa to be able to incorporate themes and other dash customizations.