Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you rate the Model S?

How would you rate the Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove the gray performance S in L.A. It outperforms just about anything on the road, but it compares as a sports sedan not a sports car. I have owned many sports cars and my current daily driver is a Porsche Boxster. My definition of a sports car is something that is light, nimble, and has lots of driver feel and a few inconvenient quirks. The model S can beat most sports cars but it is big and heavy. They are two different animals. BMW sedans sell better than the Honda S2000, BMW Z4, or Boxsters suggesting most people prefer sports sedans. Porsche sells more Panameras and Cayennes than 911s and Boxsters. I think Tesla will do well with the S, and I hope they desgin a new roadster soon.

I hope they design a new roadster soon.
My loose understanding of their most aggressive schedule...
  1. 2008 - Roadster
  2. 2012 - Model S
  3. 2013 - Model X
  4. 2014 - Bluestar
  5. 2015 - Roadster Revisited
They might swap positions 4 and 5, but it's still unclear whether any 4th vehicle will be ready by 2014.

So unless you mean 2015+ by "soon", you'll likely be disappointed. :(

If you're really in a hurry to get a "newer" Roadster, your best bet is to pick up one used and then have it pimped out by a custom shop. At least that's my guess.

I drove the gray performance S in L.A. It outperforms just about anything on the road, but it compares as a sports sedan not a sports car. I have owned many sports cars and my current daily driver is a Porsche Boxster. My definition of a sports car is something that is light, nimble, and has lots of driver feel and a few inconvenient quirks. The model S can beat most sports cars but it is big and heavy. They are two different animals. BMW sedans sell better than the Honda S2000, BMW Z4, or Boxsters suggesting most people prefer sports sedans. Porsche sells more Panameras and Cayennes than 911s and Boxsters. I think Tesla will do well with the S, and I hope they desgin a new roadster soon.

When you say "beat most sports cars" are you talking about 0-60?

Listen my biggest problem is this.... In all the promotional videos leading up to the Model S release, Elon, George, Franz etc kept tabbing this car as the "best on the planet." I know there are different definitions of "best on the planet" but come on. I understand it has a revolutionary powertrain, and futuristic controls but "best on the planet"? I love the Model S, it is a great car, I am buying one, but it is not the "best on the planet." I have driven cars that handle better than the Model S, have better performance than the Model S, that look better than the Model S lets be realistic here the Model S does not have 1/10 of the options/luxury features necessary to claim " best on the planet". Heck the thing does not even have a center console or voice command (right out of the gates). All this promo chatter about the Model S and "best car on the planet", cheapens the brand. They got too carried away with the promo videos and that really turned me off and (in my opinion) cheapened the brand. Quiet confidence should be the name of the game for Tesla and its future products. I know I will get hammered here for taking this stance, but I am calling a spade a spade.

2012: The Year of Model S on Vimeo

I know I will get hammered here for taking this stance, but I am calling a spade a spade.

I'm right with you on this one. I have loved the Model S since its inception. I have had pictures of it on my desktop here at work and at home (and still have), I have influenced countless colleagues who have come by, seen my desktop and asked about "what is that great looking car? is it an aston martin, a jaguar??" and I have amazed them by telling them that it is an EV and that I would love this to be my next car. I was close to putting in a deposit before the launch event, partly because of this "best car on the planet" talk and partly because of the pictures of the prototype (and its great looking interior). What a letdown when the Oct event came and more and more details (like in the design studio) appeared which showed me that not only is the Model S far from being the "best car on the planet", it's far from being what I want in my next car right now. As I said in another thread, IMHO it might be a great performing car with a lot of storage that happens to be electric, but everything else leaves a lot to be desired, at least at the moment. True, most of these deficiencies might be done with by Model S 2.0 or 3.0, but at the moment there is no way they can honestly call this car "the best on the planet".

Mind you it certainly is the best EV on the planet though, for now. (At least until the Audi e-tron family of premium sedans hits the market :wink:)

...runs and gets ready for some angry comments either

I think one of the earliest reviews said it best. Something to the effect of, "Models S is not the best car in the world, but as a statement of intent, it is very impressive."

Another echoed the sentiment, saying that it is not the best, but at the rate that they are iterating it could be very soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Based on what we know as of right now, it seems that way to me as well, but....Take it home and live with it for a while, then let's talk. Most of the gadgets on cars these days tend to be superlative to enhancing the driving experience.

I stopped taking Tesla hype a while ago when we kept getting promised big surprises and such that never really materialized ( well, not in a way to justify the hype). Still love the company, but agree I'd prefer the "quiet confidence" route instead.

I agree they need a little less hype. Have they repeated that 'best car on the planet' recently or was that well over a year ago? I have no problem with 'One of the best cars on the planet' though. I think that comment was more of their excitement about what they were doing and about to accomplish than anything. Kind of like an automotive equivalent of the 'My child is an honor student' bumper sticker. With interior refinement and a few extra gadgets down the road, they might be able to boast 'best car on the planet'.

Well, it all depends on your viewpoint. To me, the "best car in the world" could never be a car with an ICE. So the competition isn't really that huge...

For example, I drive a Leaf now. If I could choose between the Leaf and a BMW M5 for the same price, I'd go with the Leaf.

Well, it all depends on your viewpoint. To me, the "best car in the world" could never be a car with an ICE. So the competition isn't really that huge...

For example, I drive a Leaf now. If I could choose between the Leaf and a BMW M5 for the same price, I'd go with the Leaf.

Excellent point. The Model S also has tens of thousand of dollars of batteries to deal with. If Tesla could add on another $20,000 to the cost of the car then maybe we could get the best in class features people want. I don't think a Mercedes S class has a $30,000 engine to deal with so allows more room in its $80k price tag for interior and features. I think it will take time and battery costs coming down for Tesla to be able to keep their margins healthy and refine the interior and feature set.

Agreed. The only reason we are buying this car is because it is electric. We have been watching from the sidelines for a long time but have been invited to come over for a test drive
on August 11 so we will give the car a kiwi rating after that

I hope Tesla stops talking about "revolutionary" so much and starts taking "evolutionary" a bit more seriously in subsequent revisions and/or new versions of vehicles that they produce.

This is an interesting place to be in the marketplace.

I have many friends who have medium to high end sedans but are also running the summer car (usually an older Porsche / Camaro / Firebird )...the Model S can serve both these driving needs / styles with just one vehicle...and it's state-of-the-art, unique, and green as well.

I can see numerous folks getting rid of their stodgy daily driver sedans & their summer vehicles and getting the "all in one" performance Model S...

I'm with you on the new Roadster johnny, but, I'm still holding out hope for performance upgrades for the original Roadster...

Agreed jk...I choose to look at it as the phrase "best car in the world" as a forward looking statement! :wink::biggrin:

It is a subjective phrase though...one could always (with validity) argue elsewise as it is quite impossible for one vehicle to be the best in all classes (given the numerous possible metrics that could be used) ...perhaps a more encompassing phrase such as "best all-around vehicle" would be a more accurate statement...

If we're going to give Tesla a hard time for boasting and calling their car the 'best in the world' then that should apply to all products (soda, restaurant claims of 'best burger in America'...etc. I think most people realize it's a marketing slogan and meant to drive sales. From the review so far, it looks like Tesla could make a case they are being accurate but it's purely subjective anyway.

Um, no. If that were the case, I'd have bought a customized-for-street-driving golf cart years ago.

Yeah, it has to be practical and suit our needs. It will replace 2 cars so the Model S has to be able to meet our transportation needs. We have 2 dogs so there needs to be space to accommodate them.
The Model S is the first Electric Vehicle that is capable of meeting our requirements.

True Peter, but again still subjective...the Roadster is the first EV that was capable of meeting my requirements :wink:

Yeah, it has to be practical and suit our needs. It will replace 2 cars so the Model S has to be able to meet our transportation needs. We have 2 dogs so there needs to be space to accommodate them.
The Model S is the first Electric Vehicle that is capable of meeting our requirements.

If you could make them all static, that would be great. It is a big image so people will notice it. I don't think the flashing stars is necessary and may lead some people to skip your posts. Thanks.