Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Howdy from the Motor City

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome. Howdy from Nevada. Never been to MI. Can you enlighten us as to why super low profile tires are not good for there?
Certainly! Here in Michigan the freeze/thaw cycle results in numerous pot holes in the roads. My other vehicle is a Jeep with 33” tires on 17” wheels which allows for 8” of rubber sidewall cushion between the wheel and the impact point of the pot hole. No problems. 21” Turbines with low profile tires offer less cushion and provide business for all the wheel repair shops here.
Moving from a 21” wheel to a 19” wheel gets me roughly and additional inch of sidewall cushion.

Welcome. Howdy from Nevada. Never been to MI. Can you enlighten us as to why super low profile tires are not good for there?
Sarcasm? If not, here's one of my original 21" Model S wheels to explain why. ;)

I believe Michigan roads are worse than where this happened.

cracked_Model_S_21in_wheel.jpg

Those are terrible looking rims. No, there wasn't any sarcasm in my question. :) So I am guessing you got those from pot holes as you made reference to that initially
That cracked wheel happened driving down a rough stretch of rural-ish road at the same pace as most other cars leaving the pumpkin patch. There wasn't like a specific pothole, rather the whole road was a mess. Such roads are in no way unusual though, I considered it ridiculous that Tesla sold the car with wheels that couldn't take it, and I made Tesla replace it for free.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
That cracked wheel happened driving down a rough stretch of rural-ish road at the same pace as most other cars leaving the pumpkin patch. There wasn't like a specific pothole, rather the whole road was a mess. Such roads are in no way unusual though, I considered it ridiculous that Tesla sold the car with wheels that couldn't take it, and I made Tesla replace it for free.
...and soon afterwards we switched our S to 19" wheels for more sidewall (245/45R19 on 19x8.5", vs original 245/35R21 on 21x8.5"). No more cracked wheels. :)

When we ordered our M3P last year, which comes with a similar skinny sidewall 235/35R20 on 20x9" (stretched! why??), I ordered smaller 18x8.5" wheels for it before we even picked up the car. Now on 245/45R18 it rides better, handles better, grips better (thanks to better tires), etc. All upside.

I do think the huge MS P85 21's and M3P 20's look baller. Both sets look great on their respective cars. But they're not practical for the roads we drive on. If your roads are well maintained then by all means keep rolling with them.