Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hows night visibility with 20% tint all around?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity I looked it up for Massachusetts and we're limited to 35% on side and rear windows, and can't tint windshield at all except for top 6 inches. Glad I wasn't thinking of it or I'd have serious FOMO right about now.
I don't think any state lets you legally tint the front windshield.

With that being said, Missouri is a 2-license plate state and I don't run a front one of those either.

So… there's that. :D

Reactions: karmamule
Llumar 15 on my ride if this would help some folks. 15s for windows and 30 rear. Air80 front.
Darker at night but it’s not bad at all. And daytime driving is great w reduced heat. The privacy is nice too.

Attachments

• 82C92E65-363E-43AA-BD1D-1461F471BA61.jpeg
    82C92E65-363E-43AA-BD1D-1461F471BA61.jpeg
    876.2 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: islack
I have 5% on back and top glass, 20% on sides and 50% on windshield. It all looks fantastic. No issues seeing out of the front at all or the sides for the most part. However, I do have a real problem with the blind spot on the passenger side. The blind spot is bad as it is with the high trunk and narrow rear glass opening from the driver's view, but the reduced visibility makes it worse. I ended up disconnecting the auto-dimming center and side-view mirror sensors, and added a wide-angle mini blind spot mirror to the passenger side mirror, and it's better now but i'm still nervous about changing lanes at night. If I had to do it again, i'd do 20% all around, sticking with the 50% windshield. 5% is just too dark for the rear glass.

And yes, we all have auto-dimming side mirrors - not an option, and you can't shut it off so you have to pry the mirror from inside the housing and disconnect the sensor.

I have 5% on back and top glass, 20% on sides and 50% on windshield. It all looks fantastic. No issues seeing out of the front at all or the sides for the most part. However, I do have a real problem with the blind spot on the passenger side. The blind spot is bad as it is with the high trunk and narrow rear glass opening from the driver's view, but the reduced visibility makes it worse. I ended up disconnecting the auto-dimming center and side-view mirror sensors, and added a wide-angle mini blind spot mirror to the passenger side mirror, and it's better now but i'm still nervous about changing lanes at night. If I had to do it again, i'd do 20% all around, sticking with the 50% windshield. 5% is just too dark for the rear glass.

And yes, we all have auto-dimming side mirrors - not an option, and you can't shut it off so you have to pry the mirror from inside the housing and disconnect the sensor.

Apparently that last part isn’t true anymore. Model 3 (and Y) don’t come with auto-dimming mirrors anymore.

How old is your 3? Can you post a pic of your screen showing this? Can you adjust the amount of tint?

How old is your 3? Can you post a pic of your screen showing this? Can you adjust the amount of tint?

I have a 2020 which I took delivery on in mid-Dec. I haven't previously seen anything indicating auto-dimming was ever taken away. I had to open up the mirror assemblies and disconnect the electric supply for the dimming function, and when i did, it became easier to see out of them at night.

Have 20 on my older SUV and it is ok. Can be hard to see at times, you just have to pay extra attention for people crossing the street in dim areas. So with the 3 I went with 30 and I think it's great for night . Can see well, in winter it gets dark by 5pm here so it's important to keep visibility good in the winter .