Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's Your AC Holding Up? My Compressor's Loud, Failed 3 Times in 3 Years, and Struggles to Cool. Also "same" repair jumped from $1,195 → $2,030.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all.

Have a 2017 S 75D with ~185k on the clock. Very pleased with the car but running into systemic AC issues - specifically compressor (part number 1063369-00-J) failures - see my prior post on the subject for more info.

What's currently happening: AC compressor is becoming louder and louder and the ability for the car to cool is waning. Yes, it still blows cool air but a setting of "65" is more akin to "72" temperature wise and certainly no where near the prior levels when I took delivery of the car or after having the AC system serviced.

What's frustrating is I've been here before with a similar failure pattern, replaced the condenser and desiccant bag, only to have the part re-fail on what appears to be a yearly basis with 2022 being the third instance of this.

While I understand parts fail, I suspect three similar failures of the same part - the compressor - in three years seems excessive. Not an AC tech by any means but I suspect there's some underlying cause (e.g. slow coolant leak?) which is causing the downstream failure of the compressor. Tesla's fix in the past has just been to replace the compressor and desiccant bag, and while I do not mind replacing these parts if they are indeed failing, I also want to know why they are chronically failing as yearly replacement of a compressor seems outside any reasonable expitation.

Moreover, the invoice for the same request has jumped from ~$1.1k → $2k not withstanding inflation (i.e. Tesla's labor rate went from $165 → $215 from 2021 → 2022), I'm struggling to understand how the same service is almost double what is was prior...assuming the SC did not throw everything on an invoice as a 'worst case' and will then modify needed items off as the repairs get underway.

I'm also struggling to understand why a "J" part number is being replaced with an "H", but can follow up with the SC on this one.

But the real crux is I don't think Tesla's correctly IDing the route causes of the annual compressor failures and while replacement of the part """fixes""" the symptom, it does not appear to resolve the underlying issue and crusing through the just-drop-2k-per-annum-on-replacing-compressors doesn't strike me as a reasonable solution.

Can post a YT video if anyone wants to hear the issue and would greatly appreciate any experiences other members have had in dealing with the Tesla HVAC.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AC Compressor Comparison redacted.pdf
    289.2 KB · Views: 199
Lol I have no idea who
@MobileClimate is replying to since 3-4 of us are having issues 🎱
See my post if you have anybideas
Thx in advance 👍

I have a 2016.5 refresh P100D S
AC blows cold for about 40 minutes and then it will just blow lukewarm air for 10 or 15 minutes and then go back to blowing cold no codes not sure what the issue is scheduled an appointment but I’m wondering if they just remove the front bumper and clean some debris if this will fix the issue Also possible could have a leak or coolant could be low any ideas?
I do see lovers opening and closing
I would look at your evap sensor sounds like it’s freezing up …that will definitely cause a Comp failure

Upvote 0
I had tesla do a 4 wheel alignment for $500 about 2 months ago and ..3 weeks later I check for a rattle underneath and there sat the jam nut for the tie rod end loose..I was like great

Aren't they amazing! When I had a 4 wheel alignment done by the SC on my Model 3, they left out all 10 fasteners for the leading edge of the rear undertray. It was quite a shock when that tray came off and acted like an airbrake while scraping on the cement. That was the last alignment they will ever do for me, and the goal is to keep my cars away from those bozos.

Reactions: MobileClimate
Upvote 0