Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's your experience of Model 3 viewing the speedometer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still waiting for my Model 3 to deliver, and I'm just curious how other people are doing without an odometer?
I'm someone who checks my speed every 5 min or so in case there's a cop in the vicinity.
Is this something you can comfortably get used to?

All cars have an odometer. It's in the bottom of the trip distance time efficiency bar (scroll) is also in the car info page. It tells you how many miles your car has traveled.

There is also a speedometer... you really should know your speed at all times.

Nothing to get used to except that the speed is displayed slightly to the right. Takes a drive or two to get used to it just like any other car.

Sorry yes! I mean the odometer/speedometer display.

(moderator note)

Thread title changed to better reflect question
==========================
(regular content post, not moderation content)

I can see the speedometer in my model 3 easier than my previous car, because my seating position ment the steering wheel somewhat blocked the instrument cluster.

Its in the upper left of the tablet display, and you can see it easily out of the corner of your eye. In other words, I think this is more you imagining a problem than there actually being a problem. Might take you a day or two to get used to glancing down, but its still there, and easy to see.

I am still waiting for my Model 3 to deliver, and I'm just curious how other people are doing without an odometer?
I'm someone who checks my speed every 5 min or so in case there's a cop in the vicinity.

I’m an iPhone user. When Apple got rid of the home button and introduced the swipe gesture, I worried I’d miss the button. Two seconds into using the phone, I forgot all about the home button.

It’s the same with checking the speedometer. I actually find it more awkward having to peek through the steering wheel to check speed when I drive my Wife’s SUV.

Tim

I check it every 10 seconds on my Model 3. It has both the speedometer and odometer. No problem. If you only checked it every 5 minutes on your old car, you will be able to do it a lot more often on your Model 3.

Seriously, it is not problem to see the speed on M3 at all. However, in an older software, the size of the font was bigger. Wish there was an option to change the font size.

Reactions: Msjulie
Even more seriously... this topic sounds as a result of FUD propagated in "news" for several years now that it is somehow difficult to see the speed in Model 3/Y. After 2+ years of driving both I and my spouse can call it total BS.

It was also a concern of mine and almost anybody you talk to about the Model 3 asks about the speedometer. But you get used to it instantly. In fact it’s far superior. The difference between seeing a large number instead of a gauge that you have to mentally (subconsciously) work out your speed that is between (say) 60 to 80 kph (in Europe) saves at least a nanosecond. Also the speedometer on the Model 3 is remarkably stable and it’s the only accurate speedo that I’ve ever had. When you pass a radar that displays your speed it is always either spot on or only one kilometer out. Compared to my last car which was a minimum of five kilometers per hour under.
All in all a big thumbs up for the Model 3 speedometer. But I have seen on YouTube that it’s an easy and cheap fix if you want to install a heads up display

Reactions: ss71
It's all a matter of choice. I hate Heads Up Displays...way to distracting, especially at night. Personally, I have no trouble reading the speedometer on my M3. It's always clearly evident well within the range of my peripheral vision. My only complaint about it is that it's way too visible to my wife in the passenger seat, especially when I start going more than 5mph above the speed limit. Regarding the odometer, when you want to see it, just preee the right hand button on the steering wheel and say "show odometer".

Respectfully I can’t agree. A gauge cluster or HUD isn’t in your direct line of sight and shouldn’t be distracting. But it requires you to adjust your vision a shorter distance when you glance at it. Over however many dozen glances in the course of a trip this ultimately means fewer seconds with your eyes not pointed at the road ahead.

As I said the centre screen is something you can adapt to - if you’ve ever driven a BMW-era mini it’s a similar experience. Workable, not optimal. But not something to be overly concerned about.