Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's your experience of Model 3 viewing the speedometer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have mentioned, it really isn't an issue and you adapt quickly. There are also some settings to give you audio or visual notifications if you're driving above whatever threshold you set relative to the speed limit. Let's say you want to make sure you don't go more than 5+mph over the posted speed. You can easily configure your car to give a visual warning on the screen and/or an audible notification. If you're really concerned about getting a ticket I'd highly recommend getting the latest Valentine One radar detector + a blend mount mirror mount for it. I setup mine that way, wired to a switchable 12v source in the footwell. Combined with V1Driver app on my phone it is absolutely amazing. It stays quiet 99% of the time and pretty much only lights up and beeps if there is actually a threat.

The speedo is no problem. The only real problem I have found is that trying to push small buttons on the screen can be tricky while driving since the car is pretty bouncy. I often have to prop a couple fingers along the top of the screen to try to keep my hand steady while reaching with my thumb or another finger.

Reactions: XPsionic
The speedo is no problem. The only real problem I have found is that trying to push small buttons on the screen can be tricky while driving since the car is pretty bouncy. I often have to prop a couple fingers along the top of the screen to try to keep my hand steady while reaching with my thumb or another finger.
I agree with this. I've started using voice rec a LOT more for those functions buried in menus.

I love not having to peer down over a steering wheel to read the display. A quick millisecond glance to the right and bingo. All the info I need! Your eyes are off the road for the same time it takes to glance down as it does to glance right. HUD? No thanks, much more distracting!
Agree 100%. I drove a car with a HUD and it was distracting. I don't need to have the speed constantly in my view while driving. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it, but I can just as well get used to the current speedo. And good point about the quick glance to the right.

Reactions: Shelburne
It’s not optimal, let’s be honest. If the car had a factory HUD option it would be worth whatever they wanted to charge for it and then some. But you do adjust and it largely becomes a non-issue after a month or two.
A big problem with HUD that I experience in my wife's Prius and in my former BMW 535 was that it was not visible with sunglasses on! Why the engineers can't fix this problem is beyond me;(

Reactions: kakao
A big problem with HUD that I experience in my wife's Prius and in my former BMW 535 was that it was not visible with sunglasses on! Why the engineers can't fix this problem is beyond me;(

This was an issue with your sunglasses, (as someone who has had BMWs with HUD's almost as long as they have offered them). The issue is your polarized sunglasses had the polarization on them in such a way that it made the HUD disappear. The "fix" is either buying non polarized sunglasses or finding a brand which has the polarization NOT in sync with the HUD.

I forget now which brands worked fine with the BMW hud at this point, but my sunglasses work just fine with the HUD in my wifes X3. A factory HUD is something I would have paid extra for, as once you get used to it, its very convenient. One issue with BMWs implementation is, you can do "too much" with it. Changing songs in media, etc, makes you look "at" the hud the same way you would be looking "at" a screen. Your eyes may be forward but your attention isnt.

Back to tesla....

As some people have said, the speedo isnt an issue, BUT stabbing the screen while driving is basically a non starter. You have to look at the screen way too long to do that, and focus on it. At this point, I wont do anything that requires me to touch the screen while in motion. I use voice commands (which work surprisingly well for almost everything I would want to stab at the screen for), but wont touch the screen unless:

1. I am stopped at a stoplight
2. I am using Autopilot / NOA and can spare the couple seconds it takes to glance down at it.

Full disclosure though, I am also a person who will not touch my cellphone once the car is in motion. I send and receive text messages via voice commands with my hands on the wheel, and wont touch my phone for anything else while driving.

A few things benefit from having buttons, but that also could be because I have used BMWs iDrive interface in some manner or other for quite a long time.. almost as long as they have had it. Even after 3 years of having my model 3, I miss having "a few" buttons a bit. I do NOT miss the instrument cluster, however. Every time I get in my wifes X3, it looks incredibly "busy" to me, except for the HUD.

Reactions: XPsionic
Vehicle speed is not a problem, at all. Other things are much harder to read (and strangely not configurable) due to the low-res color scheme and small fonts (battery percentage, clock).
I agree with the above quote completely.

I don't miss the driver's display itself. What I do miss is the big map display on my S. The 3/Y center display layout wastes a lot of space on the car graphics, so the map display ends up smaller than it needs to be and it can't be extended over the car graphics area. (However the 3/Y map size is still as good or better than most non-Tesla cars.)

To me a driver's display was always a tradeoff. In most cars I've ever driven, if I adjust the steering wheel how I like it best for driving, the wheel blocks some of the driver's display. In the Model 3 I love the small, sporty-feeling steering wheel, and I love that I *don't* need to crane my neck over to see a display through it.

(Yes the other obvious solution here is a yoke, but that brings its own set of problems, especially with how Tesla implemented it in the S/X.)

It’s not optimal, let’s be honest. If the car had a factory HUD option it would be worth whatever they wanted to charge for it and then some. But you do adjust and it largely becomes a non-issue after a month or two.
No thanks. I drove a Corvette with HUD and I found it a distraction. I don't mind a quick glance to check my speed. Better than having something in my line of sight. Of course YMMV.

Reactions: Shelburne
As others have said, it's a non-issue. The previous UI was better though, so I'm hoping a v11 at some point improves it again. I don't really want to beat that dead horse anymore, but having current speed, cruise control set speed, and the detected speed limit all in basically the same place at the same size was such a dumb move, in my opinion.

I am still waiting for my Model 3 to deliver, and I'm just curious how other people are doing without an odometer?
I'm someone who checks my speed every 5 min or so in case there's a cop in the vicinity.
Is this something you can comfortably get used to?
No problems at all .. after all, you have no problems glancing in the rear-view mirror, right? it's exactly the same, once your muscle memory gets used to where to look you dont even think about it.

Reactions: android04
I've driven friends' M3s a number of times, and the only time it was a little jarring not having a normal binnacle behind the steering wheel was the first time I drove one at night. Habitually glancing down and only seeing a dark void was odd at first, but I quickly adjusted.
i also got this odd feeling the first time at night but it only happened once.. felt like i was on a twilight zone episode or something lol

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2