Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's your experience of Model 3 viewing the speedometer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I check it every 10 seconds on my Model 3. It has both the speedometer and odometer. No problem. If you only checked it every 5 minutes on your old car, you will be able to do it a lot more often on your Model 3.

Seriously, it is not problem to see the speed on M3 at all. However, in an older software, the size of the font was bigger. Wish there was an option to change the font size.
And I enjoy the totally unobstructed view of the road. No cluster of instruments. Just the road. I’ve been using voice commands lately. No reason to search for the basics.

It’s not optimal, let’s be honest.

My opinion is that it *is* optimal. Before I owned the car, I wasn't sure what it'd be like (didn't test drive it). After my 7 hour drive to take delivery of the M3, my eyes were incredibly fatigued from my last car. It was dark out for most of the drive (winter) and the green HUD glowed in front of me. The 7 hour drive home, zero fatigue from the M3, and everything is very easily visible.

That said, this is subjective and everyone's peripheral vision is different. We also tend to lose our peripheral vision as we get older. I'm not sure I really look at the speedometer that often anyways... I just keep up with traffic (or far ahead of it ;)). Also, you can set a chime when you exceed the speed limit.

I ended up going for a test drive, it didn't even need getting used to. The speed was pretty conveniently located on the screen and I didn't have any issue whatsoever. However, I did find it very hard to follow the speed limit because the car was so fast. I guess this would come with practice :p

also model3 has no leeway. it usually just reads 1 to 1.5km/h over. Unlike lets say other cars where its 5-8km/h over.

My opinion is that it *is* optimal. Before I owned the car, I wasn't sure what it'd be like (didn't test drive it). After my 7 hour drive to take delivery of the M3, my eyes were incredibly fatigued from my last car. It was dark out for most of the drive (winter) and the green HUD glowed in front of me. The 7 hour drive home, zero fatigue from the M3, and everything is very easily visible.

That said, this is subjective and everyone's peripheral vision is different. We also tend to lose our peripheral vision as we get older. I'm not sure I really look at the speedometer that often anyways... I just keep up with traffic (or far ahead of it ;)). Also, you can set a chime when you exceed the speed limit.

Same, no test drive, and I was used to it by the time I got from the SC (~30 minutes).

I've had cars with traditional gauges, LCD panels, HUD, etc., and the TM3 implementation is just as good as any of those. Really, in any car, your speedometer (non-HUD) isn't directly in your line of site, but it's a small glance away, and for me at least, it doesn't matter if that's slightly down, or slightly right, it's effectively the same. The HUD while being a bit more directly in your LOS can also be a touch distracting - in my Corvettes I tended to use it selectively.

And yeah, that little audio chime is terrific, outside of the occasional MPH check, if I'm not using CC and kind of "going with the flow", that will at least give me a "check your speed" heads up.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Awesome. Thanks everyone. Yeah maybe I'm just imaging that it's a problem when it's really not lol. Well, I better go for a test drive before I take delivery of this car.
Who looks at the speedometer? Just match your speed to the traffic and you will be fine. Now if you insist on doing the 55 mph speed limit when others are doing 65 or 70 you will create other problems.

My wife says that she wishes the screen were tilted a little more toward the driver, but there was absolutely no adjustment time to get used to looking slightly over to see the speedometer. I think there is also a setting that alerts you when you're going over the speed limit, but I can't imagine anyone turns it on.

My wife says that she wishes the screen were tilted a little more toward the driver, but there was absolutely no adjustment time to get used to looking slightly over to see the speedometer. I think there is also a setting that alerts you when you're going over the speed limit, but I can't imagine anyone turns it on.
There are 3rd party options to allow screen tilting:

I'm looking to do this mod as well. It's a fairly easy DIY.

I’m surprised people need to check their speed so frequently.

with speed cameras around every corner, covert speed operations, unmarked vehicles which are just waiting for make money immediately from you going a few kms over its more vital than ever to pay less attention to the road and more attention to the speed. particularly if you have a car which does have instant torque and will respond quickly to even minute pressure.

with speed cameras around every corner, covert speed operations, unmarked vehicles which are just waiting for make money immediately from you going a few kms over its more vital than ever to pay less attention to the road and more attention to the speed. particularly if you have a car which does have instant torque and will respond quickly to even minute pressure.
Exactly. Location of the speedo takes a short while to get used to, and you'll get used to it.

But that's not the issue, or the point -- which people miss when they say "just match other traffic" or "you dont need to look at it much".

The point is with powerful electric drivetrain without an audible motor or gearshift sensation, it is extremely easy to exceed the speed limit in low speed regimes. If you're driving around a town limit of 50kph (31mph), you can stealthily and half-mindedly glide from 40-80kph, without feeling it by the seat of the pants. In a normal car you can maintain a targe speed just by the pitch of the motor.

There are 3rd party options to allow screen tilting:

I'm looking to do this mod as well. It's a fairly easy DIY.
Yes! I have seen this before, but I am extremely not handy and would fear doing damage. Only she has an issue with the screen angle and she rarely drives it.

This may help for those who are only seeing the stock Tesla interior photos. It seems to me that the distance between the speedometer and a traditional speedometer are about the same, just on the side of the wheel instead of inside of it. Points for Tesla though are that sometimes the steering wheel is in the way of traditional speedometers, and many traditional speedometers are "analog" style... so ultimately I believe looking at the Tesla speedometer takes less time and cognition.

speedo.jpg