Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Howto Access Tesla Diagnostic Port behind Infotainment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I have S, built April 2017, no matter how hard I pull down the cubby, it wont pop. I pull very hard, the cubby is bending, plastic is cracking but no way to pop it out. When I remove the passenger kick panel, I can feel some empty connector just behind the cubby under the MCU on the passenger side, but there is not enough room for the fingers to catch and pull it out. Any ideas?

Guys, I have S, built April 2017, no matter how hard I pull down the cubby, it wont pop. I pull very hard, the cubby is bending, plastic is cracking but no way to pop it out. When I remove the passenger kick panel, I can feel some empty connector just behind the cubby under the MCU on the passenger side, but there is not enough room for the fingers to catch and pull it out. Any ideas?

It’ll pop out. Make sure you’re pulling straight down at the front edge (closest to the screen). There are two automotive clips holding it in and they definitely can be tight.

If you do somehow manage to break it, a replacement is something like $35 from tesla iirc, so not the end of the world.

@appleguru would this be another area where we can tap into the OBD port? Bearbu's kit is currently using up the OBD connector on the driver's side, I'd rather not add on another OBD adapter if there is another available port.

Depends on what you’re looking for... the TDC connector has 4 different CAN busses on it (body, power train, chassis, body fault iirc). The OBD port just had the chassis bus (and even then, only on cars built after ~aug 2013)

So could I plug your obd connector to the one behind the MCU and it'll work w/ artsci's camera switcher?

I have a CanBUS diagnostic cable that was made specially to adapt from the Tesla connector to ODBII standard type connector. I think I purchased on eBay. So in answer to your question, no, there is not a strict ODBII type connector underneath the MCU for @BearBu's adapter.