Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Howto Access Tesla Diagnostic Port behind Infotainment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On an older Model S85, like the pre-D models, do NOT pull the cubby straight out, since there are also clips at the back end of the cubby.

Just push down gently but firmly on the open mouth of the cubby untill the two "front" (mouth end) clips disengage.

Then, on cars that still have the TDC located there, you should be able to slide your flat hand into the gap above the cubby, and locate the TDC at the far left in that space. But, in some cars with a center console installed, it might not be possible to pull the cubby-opening down without damaging the cubby. So, these cars might have the TDC relocated, probably over to the right side of the cubby and out to the right, possibly accessed by removing the right-side jocky-stick shaped trim piece.

Also, cars after about September 2015 probably have the "new" style of TDC, not the "old" style found in my late 2014 S85.

cubby.jpeg

Reactions: mswlogo
The TM-Spy app for Android and iOS (currently fairly well developed, and being tested by some owners) needs to connect to the CAN3 bus there to be able to read, display, and gather, save, and display data, like the Battery Pack voltage and current, pack cell voltages, and pack module temperatures. See the TM-Spy threads.

On my 2014 model-S I had no problem removing the Cubby and finding the diagnostic port needed for TM-Spy. However with my new model-S with the console, there seems to be no room to remove the cubby. Can anyone confirm that they have done this? Is there enough room to get the cubby out?

On my 2014 model-S I had no problem removing the Cubby and finding the diagnostic port needed for TM-Spy. However with my new model-S with the console, there seems to be no room to remove the cubby. Can anyone confirm that they have done this? Is there enough room to get the cubby out?

Watching this thread; also want to know how to access on my late 2016 AP 2 model s.

Accessing the diagnostic port in cars with the console is discussed starting here (with pictures). Not quite as easy as moving the cubby, but it is doable.

Just tried this on my AP2 model s.

Cubby came out no problem (with a bit of force), and the cable was in there. Also see an Ethernet cable there on my car. Is this one somehow on the "internal" network? Or is this just the new location for the toolbox connector (moved from the panel behind the the door)

...Stupidly, I decided to take my right kick panel off as well.

Don't do that. Lots more force + lots more clips... and nothing of interest underneath (though I though I read in the service manual there was supposed to be a spare 12V circuit under there? I didn't find it).