Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[howto] Converting side markers back to non-Europe version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

While installing my HIDs, I found a set of "mystery unused cables" in the front of the car.
IMG-20141012-WA0013.jpg

After some asking around here, I learned they were meant for sidelights, which are disabled on the European versions of the car. I got the idea to re-enable them, to decrease of being hit by a blind highway driver while switching lanes (almost happened a few times this winter).

So after some more asking around here and on the Lotus forums, I found out that getting this part replaced by a functional one, would be pretty expensive. But at least I knew what the part would look like when finished:
$_35.jpg

I took one of the reflectors out, and made a quick sketch of the dimensions:
IMG-20150216-WA0023.jpg

And trying out if the fittings and leds I had would fit:
IMG-20150220-WA0034.jpg
IMG-20150220-WA0032.jpg

IMG-20150216-WA0034.jpg

It turned out none of them were that great, so I went online to find this:
IMG-20150220-WA0049.jpg

And I also ordered some Superseal connectors:
DSC_0003.jpg

And as it turned out, they were a perfect fit:
DSC_0005(1).jpg
DSC_0004.jpg

And my brother and I went to work:
DSC_0076.jpg
DSC_0075(2).jpg

Cutting a hole in the units:
DSC_0078.jpg
DSC_0077.jpg

And applying some liquid black rubber (found at a boat shop)
DSC_0082(1).jpg

And the final result was a couple of units with a wire:
DSC_0084.jpg
IMG-20150328-WA0005.jpg

And now she lights up at night:
IMG-20150402-WA0032.jpg

Thanks guys :)

I would love to change my orange reflectors in to white ones. If you crossed something like that while doing your research, please post me the links ;)
Yes I did... a freaking expensive one.

led.jpg

05-XX Lotus S2 Elise | Exige Clear LED Front Side-Markers

Awsome research Jille - side lights or driving lights easy option !
Well done , Sir !
:) :) Now I think of it... I forgot to show my frontside DRLs here. Gonna take a picture of those later!

Last edited:
One thing about this thread

Are that leagal to use side markers in europe??

I don't think tht becase the car check in sweden don't alow it not even on old cars if they are red or white

and if it shall be alowed it must have right e marking for this use

Exactly, it's easy to just unplug the connectors. They are very easy to reach, so whenever a police officer wants you to disable them, or for your car check, just pull them out.

By the way, in the Netherlands you are not allowed to have aftermarket Xenon HIDs. I installed some in mine, and it got through the yearly check as well, so I guess they aren't that precise ;)

Nicely done.

How much are the Lotus lights?

Years ago I got custom reflectors for a my S2000. They made clear and smoked ones to replace the Amber ones. IIRC, the initial tooling costs were high, but there was enough interest to make it affordable. IMO there PROBABLY aren't enough vehicles out there to make it affordable, even if everyone bought some. I'll ask around. Who would be interested, and how much would you be willing to pay?

Also, I think it's hard to see the turn signalsfrom the side. I would be cool to make the fender lights flash with the turn signals. Anyone know how to do that? Are the US stock lights LED?