TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HPC charging limited to 48 Amps?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Mitrovic, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

Finally I got my HPC for the roadster installed.

Everything looks good, but when I try charging my roadster, it is not possible to charge with more then 48 Amps:

02E86CE1-8212-4072-BC91-C629B2FC012D_zpsqr9kmljm.jpg

Does anybody have a clue why?

On other HPC's I was able to charge with 70A

Thank you

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I don't use the HPC, but there are dip switches on the Model S one... I believe that the Roadster HPCs can be configured to draw less than full 70A by a board in the Clipper Creek controller.

Perhaps the one you obtained was thus constrained.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Call Clipper Creek and they will assist you in reprograming your unit to 70 amps if it is able.

Covered in other threads.

4. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

I had a Tesla mechanic before the installation and he programed the HPC from 70 to 63 ( or 60 ) A, because my grid can't take more.
    Do you think he made an error?

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

IIRC the Roadster HPC can be dialed up/down with a rotary DIP switch. You don't need to go to Clipper Creek for that.

6. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

There are two Roadster HPC's. One was made by Tesla and has a rotary switch to dial down the amps. The other was made by Clipper Creek and requires a firmware flash to limit the current.

7. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

I just had this problem myself, and was about to post nearly the exact same picture last week. Try unplugging the charger, closing the charge port, then access the tools > Charging > Current screen. Mine was set to a max of 55A there, which only allowed me to go up to 55A from the plug icon when charging. It also limited all ACC commands to 55A max.

I only wanted to test to see if my HPWC could supply 70A. Now it's back down to 40A max, since that seems to be the sweet spot for charging. I've never needed to charge faster than that.

8. Mitrovic

Mitrovic Member

And this helped with you?

I tried that, but it did not help.

The Tesla mechanic told, that he might have uploaded a wrong file, because they really rarely see those chargers these days. He will come and check.

9. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Yep, I can select anything from 12A to 70A now from the plug icon's current screen, whereas before I could only select up to 55A. Must be a different issue. I was hoping yours was as easy as mine.