TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

HPC error cable strain

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by greensportcars.at, Mar 16, 2014.

1. greensportcars.at

hi tesla-friends,

today i installed a HPC in my Garage. it shows error cable strain. what does this mean? there is nothing mentioned in the manual.

some hints?

thanks
    Manfred

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I'm not familiar with HPC's, but the NEC code requires that the EVSE provide interlock equipment to prevent cables from being stretched too far. I suspect there's some type of a strain switch in it that is tripped or malfunctioning?

3. greensportcars.at

thank you very much! i found the switch. i was wondering about that construction, but now it makes sense.

4. greensportcars.at

what the hell .... ! i blocked the switch, i also fixed the cable as strong as i could, nothing helps, always the same error "cable strain"

somebody with similar experince?

thanks
    manfred

5. FlasherZ

Wish I could help you... I know nothing about the Roadster HPC's. Perhaps that switch is bad?

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Where are you seeing this "Cable Strain" message?

7. greensportcars.at

hi doug,

the signal LED for power and cable strain on the front panel are flashing red alternately.

thanks
    manfred

8. FlasherZ

Post here also makes reference to the problem:
    HPC problem

No replies, however.

9. greensportcars.at

now i made some Pictures of the HPC:

first the controllerboard, in my opinion all connected correct

HPC1.jpg

on the second you see the inside, green+red+black for connecting power, purple for the connection Signal, no further modification

HPC2.jpg

on the third you see that i decomposed the cable strain switch and fixed it. there i found the small green plug, i don't know whats the function of this one, there is no free cable to plug in.

HPC3.jpg

and the last Shows the cable strain LED flashing

HPC4.jpg

PLEASE HELP ! i Need this thing to work. any hint? or is somebody able to make a picture of inside his own HPC so i can compare?

thanks
    Manfred from the middle auf europe

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Oh okay, that's the old style HPC, not the Clipper Creek unit like the one I have. Can't help you unfortunately. Sorry.

11. PVG199

PVG199 Member

Hi Manfred..

Were you ever able to figure out the problem? I am now faced with the exact same issue and I know what the fix involves, but I don't know the steps.

Basically, there is a reset procedure that needs to be performed to make the "cable strain" error message go away. It involves some combination of pressing the "reset" button a prescribed number of times but for the life of me I can't remember the details. (I was able to reset it last year, but stupidly didn't write anything down).

So, if maybe you've found this same information, it would be great if you could tell me. If not, I'll keep looking and maybe I can post it here if/when I find it.

Regards,

Patrick Gough (California)