Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPC internal wiring question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At long, long last I'm a happy Tesla roadster owner (#513). The HPC installation was just completed today. (Thankfully the company I work for, Google, has lots of charging stations and allows employees to charge for free, though, as I still can't charge at home until I get some fence and gate work done to allow access to a driveway that was blocked by the previous homeowner.)

The electrician who installed it (who is very good, but not an expert on HPCs) noticed a pair of disconnected wires inside the unit as he was performing the installation. For now we have left them disconnected, as this is how the unit came from the Tesla dealer, but I'd like to know if that's the way they're supposed to be, or if they should be connected.

The wires I'm talking about are thin, blue wires with purple plastic connectors on the end, that look like they just slide together and snap into place. In Lloyd's thread about his hydra-headed HPC they look like the wires visible in the third picture of the fourth post in that thread, though I think my plastic connectors are a slightly different color. If there's any question about which wires I mean, I'll snap a picture once it's daylight again and post it here.

I looked at the HPC installation guide, and the pictures on pages 8 and 9 seem to show one of these wires hanging down between the "contactor" and the "vehicle ground terminal", and not obviously connecting to anything. So perhaps the wires are meant to be disconnected, but that's certainly not definitive. In Lloyd's picture they're clearly connected. So perhaps it is important that they be connected, but maybe his unit differs from mine or those cables being connected is related to the modifications he was making to the unit or something, so again not definitive.

I'm hoping one of the experts on here will know what these wires are and whether or not they should be connected before I try to use this thing. Thanks for any info.