Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPC problem/question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed a Tesla HPC and it is working except that it appears to be limited to 48 amps. I had been charging with a UMC 240 which had limited me to 30 amps. My wiring is #6 and I have a rum of about 30'. The voltage at the car is a respectable 243 V. I have a 70 amp breaker so realize I can not charge at the full 70 amps but thought I could go to 56 amps and even then I do not see how the HPC would know the difference.

I purchased it used and found a manual on line and I do not see any setting on the unit or in the manual that would limit my charge rate. Has anyone else seen this issue? I have not been below 80% if that makes a difference. Thank you

I just installed a Tesla HPC and it is working except that it appears to be limited to 48 amps. I had been charging with a UMC 240 which had limited me to 30 amps. My wiring is #6 and I have a rum of about 30'. The voltage at the car is a respectable 243 V. I have a 70 amp breaker so realize I can not charge at the full 70 amps but thought I could go to 56 amps and even then I do not see how the HPC would know the difference.

I purchased it used and found a manual on line and I do not see any setting on the unit or in the manual that would limit my charge rate. Has anyone else seen this issue? I have not been below 80% if that makes a difference. Thank you

I believe Clipper Creek sets the maximum current at the factory.

Do they set it differently for different customers? I thought they all were made for 70 amps, at least that is what the literature says. But on closer inspection there is a sticker on the side that says 48A.

Last edited:
Do they set it differently for different customers? I thought they all were made for 70 amps, at least that is what the literature says. But on closer inspection there is a sticker on the side that says 48A.

I believe you can ask for it to be set differently, but AFAIK the default for Tesla is 70A. You had best contact them for assistance.

I don't have an HPC but was visiting a fellow Roadster owner once and had the same problem. He had forgotten that his was dropped down to 40A I believe and opened up the HPC and used a diagram to flip a few switches and reprogram it to 70A. There should be a way to change yours to 56A then.

I don't have an HPC but was visiting a fellow Roadster owner once and had the same problem. He had forgotten that his was dropped down to 40A I believe and opened up the HPC and used a diagram to flip a few switches and reprogram it to 70A. There should be a way to change yours to 56A then.

Clipper Creek doesn't document this in their installation manuals. I suspect there's some kind of regulatory or legal requirement behind that. I've also heard that there are switches, but haven't verified this myself. If there's a diagram inside the unit then it should be simple enough.

There is a diagram on how to connect the power wires. But there are no visible switches or diagrams on setting the power level. I assume it is the pilot signal but I do not see how I can change.

Early HPC units had switch settings to control the charge current. It is my understanding that this was removed from later generation units and they had to be ordered pre-configure for the desired charge current.

It is a TS-70 and Clipper Creek was nice on the phone. There is a programming port on the inside of the unit and units can be programmed for less than 70 amps such as 48 or 56. They are sending me a programming unit to upload some new code so I can charge at a higher rate.

Yes Clipper Creek was most helpful and they sent me a programming unit. You need to open the box but they give clear instrutions. You just download the program you want. They have a different firmware version for each possible maximum amp setting. So if anyone needs a high speed charge in NE Tennessee just let me know.

Nice work. So I guess you can control from your car how much you want to draw now.

Does anyone know if Tesla is making their own HPC for the Model S or is that also ClipperCreek? I'd assume they are making it themselves to make more profit.

This is a Tesla HPC so I think Tesla subs the manufacturing to Clipper Creek. Since I only installed a 70 amp breaker I limited the unit to a Max of 64 amps. I know that t is above the recommended limit but I set the standard charge on the Roadster to 48 amps. This is comfortably under the limit. It will be rare I need or use the higher rate at home.

Dhrivnak, I am wondering if you were ever able to increase your charger to 56A out from 70A in, I believe yours was factory set at 48A out; I am also wondering where I might look to buy a used one - thanks

Dhrivnak, I am wondering if you were ever able to increase your charger to 56A out from 70A in, I believe yours was factory set at 48A out; I am also wondering where I might look to buy a used one - thanks

OpenEVSE has new firmware that was just released, you can adjust the pilot signal anywhere from 6A to 80A new via a menu system that runs off 1 button (using short and long presses, works quite well). You can build a 75A J-1772 EVSE for about $700 in parts, which is a little over half the cost of the new Tesla WHPC ($1,200). The only thing missing is the Model S connector, but it shouldn't matter as the Model S comes with the J-1772 adapter.

I think most people will also set the power lower than 72A, most of the time.. You will just have the capability if you need it occasionally... You will need to put it on a 90A or 100A breaker if you want the 75A capability, and wire it with large gauge wire (like #3 or #4 for the 2 hots, the ground can be #8)

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/EVSE_Example75A

Mitch

I'd like to keep a J-1772 adapter in my car at all times, for fear of forgetting it and not being able to charge away from home. So a Model S connector would be nice.

Yes, you always keep the J-1772 to Model S adapter in the car. You would also use it at home, if you built a 75A J-1772 EVSE, instead of buying the Tesla $1,200 Wallmounted HPC. If you are electrically challenged, building an OpenEVSE isn't a project for you. You can save some money building your own J-1772 75A EVSE instead of buying the Tesla WHPC

I thought the Tesla Wallmounted HPC was $2500? No?

When you configure your Model S, there is the "2nd onboard charger", that is $1,500. That installs inside the car and is a 2nd 10KW onboard charger....

There is also the WHPC, that's $1,200. Thats their Wall Mounted High Power EVSE (it shouldn't even be called a charger, it's just a fancy interface/protection device)

Together they are $2,700

Go check it out on your configure page.