Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPCs at Supercharging sites?

Should HPC chargers be installed at Supercharger sites?

• I don't care one way or the other I don't plan to use the Supercharger sites anyway.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Link: Teslas new Superchargers leave Roadster, other EV owners flat | ExtremeTech

I'm flabbergasted that Tesla is not including an ability to charge Roadsters in their new supercharging network. I expected to come here and see a thread about it already. I understand the fast charging ability requires the Model S design; but the cost to have included a regular 240v 50 or 70 amp charger for Roadster owners would have been a small addition in the scheme of things.

The ~2500 Roadster owners spent over $250 million buying cars from Tesla. Are you guys not pissed that we're being forgotten already?

I know I am, and my wife is. I just had my wife convinced to order a Model X, now she wants nothing to do with Tesla.

-J

Tesla is telling the press their will be *no* option to charge a Roadster at these stations. Here is another example:

Tesla Motors unveils 'Superchargers' at event near Los Angeles - San Jose Mercury News

"The Superchargers can only be used by Model S drivers; they won't work with other plug-in electric vehicles. Drivers of the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt and even the Tesla Roadster are out of luck."

It's not as simple as reducing the amps. The Supercharger stations are direct DC power charging, using a feature of the Model S charging design to do so. They would need some additional equipment to support Roadsters. The cost would be relatively small however; and again, I can't believe they are leaving the early-adopter, advocate-owners group who spent over $250 million with them behind already.

I think most of us are so stunned that we can't believe it is possibly true.

Roadster owners have been evangelists for EVs, have gotten charging stations installed (and in many cases, paid for them ourselves), have handed out Model S brochures, brought our cars to events, given rides, and talked to countless of family, friends, and strangers about how great Tesla is. No other company has managed to turn 2000+ customers into 2000+ sales people. I can't believe Tesla would throw away that market advantage.

I'm preferring think that this has not been well thought through by Tesla while in the midst of a million moving parts - and I will be reaching out directly to those I know at Tesla for better answers. I prefer not to sit here and fuss about it on the forum (giving fodder to the shorts). I'd like to have a conversation directly with the company.

The Roadster would need some rather non-trivial hardware upgrades to be able to charge from the supercharger. Also given the older chemistry, it's probably not good for the battery. I think the best Tesla could do is to have some 80 A HPCs at each supercharger location. But what connector to use?

I'd be perfectly content with a Model S adapter on the Roadster and charging at 80A since that would be better then 40A at a campground. Supercharger access would be the best of course but I'll probably be driving the Model S on longer trips anyway given the comfort and better storage. Having Supercharger access on the Roadster would open that up to longer trips more easily as well.

Would it be a plus? Sure, but TESLA does not owe us any more than the remainder of our warranties. I have lived without SC network with the roadsters for years. I was never promised a roadster SC network so why be so pissed?

Who goes cross country in a roadster? This is really ridiculous...

Personally I don't mind the Superchargers are Model S only. I don't use the Roadster for long road trips, and if I did there are enough J1772 options in place (or coming soon) to cover me.

What I DO want is the option to upgrade the Roadster to a Supercharger battery pack!

It is more than just batteries. It is battery pack, cooling system, PEM, cables, extra wiring, plug...

Just wait for Next Generation Roadster...

Changing this one over would be far too costly.

If a Roadster to Model S plug upgrade were possible, then they could add additional HPWCs at these stations for 40kWh Model S and Roadster customers. I'd take that and much cheaper than a Supercharger conversion for the Roadster I'd imagine.

@bonnie1194 - I have also sent an email to most of the folks I know at Tesla. I was just surprised it wasn't being discussed here. And yes, I (and I think most of us) are just looking for a 70amp roadster HPC to be included in the Supercharger stations; not any dramatic new charging capability for Roadsters.

If a Roadster to Model S plug upgrade were possible, then they could add additional HPWCs at these stations for 40kWh Model S and Roadster customers. I'd take that and much cheaper than a Supercharger conversion for the Roadster I'd imagine.

I feel that would be the correct route for Tesla to take otherwise I see Tesla severely segregating their own customers, which could later turn out to be or been the majority of their customers.... Such as what if there's more demand for the Model-X? Then what will they do, perform a whole new retrofit/transition? I really don't understand the business sense of this nor the scaleability. Possibly they'll add support at the superchagers for the Model-X or move the supercharging support to the Model-X itself.

I was actually shocked there would be zero charge support for the Roadster community, and that one hurt where it counts. Where's the love Tesla?

Obviously upgrading the Roadster is not in the cards, at least not without massive modifications to the car. Would have been nice if they had included one or two J1772 70A units at the site.
But J1772's would not promote buying a Tesla. I think it should definitely NOT be J1772's but instead be Tesla HPC's (Model S plug if there's a Model S -> Roadster adapter or a Roadster plug). That would keep 40kwh model S and Roadster owners in the mix.

I feel that would be the correct route for Tesla to take otherwise I see Tesla severely segregating their own customers, which could later turn out to be or been the majority of their customers.... Such as what if there's more demand for the Model-X? Then what will they do, perform a whole new retrofit/transition? I really don't understand the business sense of this nor the scaleability. Possibly they'll add support at the superchagers for the Model-X or move the supercharging support to the Model-X itself.
Huh? I have to assume that Model X will have exactly the same charging system and capability as Model S. They won't change a thing. Elon already stated the current system would allow up to 120kw so as pack size increases the current charges can keep up.

Huh? I have to assume that Model X will have exactly the same charging system and capability as Model S. They won't change a thing. Elon already stated the current system would allow up to 120kw so as pack size increases the current charges can keep up.

I would hope and like you said Strider assume supercharger support will be built into the Model-X. I read that the supercharger was built with the model-S and future Telsa vehicles in mind.

Is it true they're not supporting the 40kWh Model-S? I see Tesla mentions on their website that the supercharging hardware is not available for the 40kWh Model-S. So given that it appears it is true, then why's that? Cost Savings or something else? Will there be a cutoff as well for the Model-X?

Possibly in the future they'll add support to the 40kWh version if the cost of manufacturing the cars drop due to increased demand and reduced supplier costs. I can only speculate it was just a cost reduction decision and that the hardware support would drive the price up 8k or so.

Last edited:
I would hope and like you said Strider assume supercharger support will be built into the Model-X. I read that the supercharger was built with the model-S and future Telsa vehicles in mind.

Is it true they're not supporting the 40kWh Model-S? I see Tesla mentions on their website that the supercharging hardware is not available for the 40kWh Model-S. So given that it appears it is true, then why's that? Cost Savings or something else? Will there be a cutoff as well for the Model-X?

Possibly in the future they'll add support to the 40kWh version if the cost of manufacturing the cars drop due to increased demand and reduced supplier costs. I can only speculate it was just a cost reduction decision and that the hardware support would drive the price up 8k or so.

I thought the lack of 40 kWh pack support was due to the small size of the pack and the stress that supercharging would cause it. Didn't think that it was just an arbitrary / sales decision for Tesla.