TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HPWC 2gen 4 red flashes

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Staramerica, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Staramerica

Staramerica Member

Hi new to the forum. Expecting to pickup my 100D in 7 days! just hooked up the HPWC yesterday. But got 4 red flashes after powering it up. Manual said over/under voltage protection. What does it mean? I did flip the dip switch and turn the dial to 8 (100amp breaker). Thanks in advance!

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Have you actually measured your input voltage at the HPWC from the utility?

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

What do you have the DIP switch set to? You shouldn’t have had to ‘flip’ it for North American normal installation. Line to line is normal split phase installation.

And the rotary setting for 100 Amp breaker 80 amp usage is D. Better reread the manual.

4. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

Yeah, I am wondering if you flipped a dip switch that was only supposed to be flipped for 277v operation?

Also, as others said, measure your "hot to hot" voltage. Should be 240v + or - say 5%.

5. Staramerica

Staramerica Member

Thanks I will have the electrician check voltage tomorrow . I did mean position D for 100amp. Thanks

6. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

Can you post a picture of your dip switch settings? (I trust you about the rotary dial - I am curious about the other switches)

• Informative x 1
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

#7 boaterva, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    The manual is not at all clear on this as it blathers about under and over 240 which makes no sense. The important part is line to line and line to neutral.

Again, the default setting is what it should be for residential installs. But there’s no harm in changing it to the other setting to test if it got flipped to the wrong one. It will only work in one of them in any one location.

The other setting is made for commercial three phase power (using one leg, of course!).

• Like x 1
  8. Staramerica

Staramerica Member

It turns out to be a loose connection at the panel. Now it’s all good green light.
    Dip switch was at factory setting .
    Thanks everyone

• Love x 1
  9. Staramerica

Staramerica Member

Now I am just waiting to pick up the car tomorrow to test if it charges at 72a

• Love x 1
  10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Factory dip switch setting should be fine for US residential installation.

11. Staramerica

Staramerica Member

Car arrived yesterday. Charged it for the first time . 72a works like a charm!

• Like x 1