Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC and disconnecting a sleepy car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checking that this is normal behavior.....

In the morning, my car is charged and asleep. Sometime I find myself trying to do things without my phone....If I try to remove the connector, it's locked. When I click the little button on the handle of the HPWC connector it's supposed to briefly unlock the connector, but it doesn't work if the car is asleep. A sure way to determine that the car is asleep is the little telsa logo in the charge port isn't lit. So, to wake up the car I usually push the closest (rear, driver side) door handle and I hear little slight wizzes and small clicks of possible life and within about 5 to 10 seconds, the telsa logo is lit again and I can click the connector button and THEN I hear the connector briefly dis-engage and I remove it.

Does this sound about right?

In the morning, my car is charged and asleep. Sometime I find myself trying to do things without my phone....If I try to remove the connector, it's locked. When I click the little button on the handle of the HPWC connector it's supposed to briefly unlock the connector, but it doesn't work if the car is asleep. A sure way to determine that the car is asleep is the little telsa logo in the charge port isn't lit. So, to wake up the car I usually push the closest (rear, driver side) door handle and I hear little slight wizzes and small clicks of possible life and within about 5 to 10 seconds, the telsa logo is lit again and I can click the connector button and THEN I hear the connector briefly dis-engage and I remove it.

Yes. I have seen the same behavior reported on YouTube. One thing other users do is touch the trunk handle once and that unlocks, but does not open the trunk. You can then remove the connector.

Not quite. The lit Tesla logo on the charge port doesn’t indicate awake vs. asleep. It goes out soon after you plug in (just as the S and X charge port ring light does) so as not to attract attention to your plugged in car in the dark. In order to disconnect the charge cable the car needs to be unlocked. Pushing in the charge handle button does nothing unless the car is unlocked ( not “awake”). This is the same behavior as S and X.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8 and tracksyde
Sounds normal to me.

Mine is the same. I wish they'd make it wake up if you press the button on the charger handle. I usually tap the trunk release to wake the car.

Not quite. The lit Tesla logo on the charge port doesn’t indicate awake vs. asleep. It goes out soon after you plug in (just as the S and X charge port ring light does) so as not to attract attention to your plugged in car in the dark. In order to disconnect the charge cable the car needs to be unlocked. Pushing in the charge handle button does nothing unless the car is unlocked ( not “awake”). This is the same behavior as S and X.
I don't have enough experience to be sure, but I think when I press on the rear door handle, it does NOT unlock the car (I don't have my phone), but the charge logo does come back on and I can use the little button. I *think* the car is still locked though? Admittedly, I'm not sure of this, but I will be checking. Either way, it does sound like normal behavior.

Again you’re not waking up the car, you’re unlocking the car. Awake, locked cars will not release the charge cable. For good reason.

Actually I’m doing both*. This only happens when the car is in deep sleep. If I walk away and come back an hour later, the light on the charge port is off and of course the car is locked. Touching the button on the wall connector handle unlocks the car and releases it. It’s when it sits overnight and goes into deep sleep that the button on the handle does nothing.

EDIT: *Turns out I'm incorrect, the car does not unlock when pressing the handle in partially, it just wakes up and pressing the charge connector button unlocks it. See the following post.

Last edited:
To clarify .. the following applies to a Model 3 that you approach with your phone (as a key). When attempting to remove the charge connector from the car the following two scenarios are possible:

1. The car is locked but has not been sitting long enough to go into deep sleep. The charge connector button press will unlock the car and release as seen here (note the mirror folded before pressing the button and unfolded after indicating locked/unlocked state):

2. The car is locked and has been sitting long enough to go into deep sleep. The charge connector button press will do nothing until the car is tickled out of deep sleep by partially pressing a door handle or trunk button. Then pressing the charge connector button unlocks the car and releases the connector, as shown here:

Also to note as I've just tried it. Pushing the door handle in slightly does not unlock the car, it only wakes up the car. The car does not unlock until it is pushed in far enough to release the door completely or the charge connector button is pressed.

Last edited: