TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HPWC and disconnecting a sleepy car?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, May 16, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Just checking that this is normal behavior.....

In the morning, my car is charged and asleep. Sometime I find myself trying to do things without my phone....If I try to remove the connector, it's locked. When I click the little button on the handle of the HPWC connector it's supposed to briefly unlock the connector, but it doesn't work if the car is asleep. A sure way to determine that the car is asleep is the little telsa logo in the charge port isn't lit. So, to wake up the car I usually push the closest (rear, driver side) door handle and I hear little slight wizzes and small clicks of possible life and within about 5 to 10 seconds, the telsa logo is lit again and I can click the connector button and THEN I hear the connector briefly dis-engage and I remove it.

Does this sound about right?

2. drewbaumann

drewbaumann Member

Yes. I have seen the same behavior reported on YouTube. One thing other users do is touch the trunk handle once and that unlocks, but does not open the trunk. You can then remove the connector.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Not quite. The lit Tesla logo on the charge port doesn’t indicate awake vs. asleep. It goes out soon after you plug in (just as the S and X charge port ring light does) so as not to attract attention to your plugged in car in the dark. In order to disconnect the charge cable the car needs to be unlocked. Pushing in the charge handle button does nothing unless the car is unlocked ( not “awake”). This is the same behavior as S and X.

• Informative x 2
  4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Sounds normal to me.

5. buddhra

buddhra Member

Mine is the same. I wish they'd make it wake up if you press the button on the charger handle. I usually tap the trunk release to wake the car.

6. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

You can also push in the door handle just a little bit to tickle it awake. Not enough to engage the door release, just a little nudge. I made a video of it here:

• Informative x 1
  7. insaneoctane

I don't have enough experience to be sure, but I think when I press on the rear door handle, it does NOT unlock the car (I don't have my phone), but the charge logo does come back on and I can use the little button. I *think* the car is still locked though? Admittedly, I'm not sure of this, but I will be checking. Either way, it does sound like normal behavior.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Again you’re not waking up the car, you’re unlocking the car. Awake, locked cars will not release the charge cable. For good reason.

9. insaneoctane

Exactly what I'm seeing. Notice the Tesla logo isn't lit in the beginning, but it's lit after the door tickle. I feel dirty now that I've typed that. ;)

• Funny x 1
  10. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

#10 Zarwin, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Actually I’m doing both*. This only happens when the car is in deep sleep. If I walk away and come back an hour later, the light on the charge port is off and of course the car is locked. Touching the button on the wall connector handle unlocks the car and releases it. It’s when it sits overnight and goes into deep sleep that the button on the handle does nothing.

EDIT: *Turns out I'm incorrect, the car does not unlock when pressing the handle in partially, it just wakes up and pressing the charge connector button unlocks it. See the following post.

11. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

#11 Zarwin, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    To clarify .. the following applies to a Model 3 that you approach with your phone (as a key). When attempting to remove the charge connector from the car the following two scenarios are possible:

1. The car is locked but has not been sitting long enough to go into deep sleep. The charge connector button press will unlock the car and release as seen here (note the mirror folded before pressing the button and unfolded after indicating locked/unlocked state):

2. The car is locked and has been sitting long enough to go into deep sleep. The charge connector button press will do nothing until the car is tickled out of deep sleep by partially pressing a door handle or trunk button. Then pressing the charge connector button unlocks the car and releases the connector, as shown here:

Also to note as I've just tried it. Pushing the door handle in slightly does not unlock the car, it only wakes up the car. The car does not unlock until it is pushed in far enough to release the door completely or the charge connector button is pressed.

12. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

But what if it is a nudge nudge wink wink?

• Funny x 1
  13. RayK

RayK Member

Say no more!

• Funny x 1
  14. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

Give the trunk a squeeze and it disengages in a matter of seconds. It’s the fastest way for me to do it.

• Like x 1
  15. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

+1