Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Burned Up (Yikes!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first report that I've seen of any such HPWC issue, whereas I've read many more reports of UMC failures.

AFAIK, most if not all of the UMC problems were at the point where it plugs into the wall. And even in those cases, some of them involved a loose or defective receptacle and not the actual UMC itself. I don't recall ever seeing anything about a problem in the UMC's electronics box.

Got a call back from Tesla Service this morning. They are sending a tech tomorrow to drop off a new HPWC and to do an unrelated proactive service bulletin on the car. ( The Service Advisor had the picture from this forum in front of him... ) The garage has a NEMA 10-50R outlet on a seperate breaker already ( but obviously there is no adapter for the car for a 10-50R ) but since I need to get an electrician out here anyways I'll have him swap in a 14-50 on a separate bill just in case. ( The 14-50 is ~4 feet from the main box.. so even if they have to rewire, it should be pretty cheap )

In the end I'd still trust the HWPC over a home depot outlet for higher current, after all the unit did what it's supposed to when somehting fails.. IE: it cut power and prevented a fire... so thats a huge win in my book.