Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC cable button is no longer opening the charge port anymore? Any fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model X P100D
I have a silver HPWC Gen 2. Everything worked perfect for past couple years.
Then I had an electrician move the HPWC to another wall. Everything works fine as far as charging, I get the full 72A.

However, the button no longer works to open the charge port.
The car is unlocked, my key fob and regular charging cable still open the port without any issue.
From my research here, it sounds like there is a transceiver in the wand that has gone bad.

I've tried pointing it at rear hatch, being super close, far away, etc. It does nothing.
Is there any way to repair the button part, or is the only way to get a new HPWC?

Any idea of how it could have went bad? Maybe handle got dropped when moving?

Thanks for the help!

Hi Impetuous,

If you purchased the charger by itself the warranty is for 12 months.
If you purchased it with your car, it is covered by the 4 year or X mile vehicle warranty.

It might be worthwhile to contact the charging team.
It could be fixed or repaired by a mobile technician...

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi Impetuous,

If you purchased the charger by itself the warranty is for 12 months.
If you purchased it with your car, it is covered by the 4 year or X mile vehicle warranty.

It might be worthwhile to contact the charging team.
It could be fixed or repaired by a mobile technician...

Good luck,

Shawn

I didnt even know you could purchase it with the car, I just purchased it as an accessory with the car. I was hoping there was a quick fix like repairing a piece inside the handle or swapping something. Looks like I could possible just swap wall charger and sell old one as working with the disclaimer of the button on ebay.

So there is an actual home charging support line for Tesla (650-681-6133).

I called them up. They had me reboot the Tesla with scroll wheels and try again - no dice. They had me do hard reset again - no dice. Killed power at breaker - no dice. I also updated the firmware to 2020.4 without luck.

They confirmed it doesn’t work and checked my receipt and will send me one under warranty.

They checked the part number and asked what the last letter of the part number is. Mine was E.

E apparently represents the firmware version of the wall connector. They said they’ve seen the button fail a bit recently, but only on the version E after a couple of years.

They said the version H is the latest and will try and source the gen 2 H and will send it to me in about a week, unless I want the Gen 3 (they have that in stock and ready to go).

I didn’t realize I would receive one under warranty so I already had a signature wall connector I purchased that was a version H. I swapped out the wall charger and the new one works now.

I sold the old one (with the disclaimer that the button doesn’t work). So I’m back in business now. Just wanted to post an update.