TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HPWC Cable Hanger is Here (but beware of 'tab' issue....)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by PhilBa, Jun 19, 2013.

1. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#1 PhilBa, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    Setting up my new HPWC I ran into a problem that looks like a design error.

The new hanger has a mounting bracket that you screw to the wall. Then you slide the hanger onto the bracket. The hanger locks into place via the tabs, visible in the second picture. To remove the hanger, you pry up the two tabs from the back of the hanger. Oooops. How the [email protected] do you do that when the bracket is mounted against the wall???? WTF?!? Worse, if you route the cable through the back of the bracket and have to move or return the HPWC, you have to break the bracket or take the HPWC apart. Some one was just not thinking.

hpwc-hanger-1.jpg hpwc-hanger-2.jpg

My solution is to break the tabs off the hanger. The hanger slides down onto the bracket with a fair amount of friction and there are stops that allow gravity to hold the hanger in place.
    hpwc-hanger-3.jpg

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

For $5.00US put 'em where you need 'em:

$5-Hanger.jpg
    --

3. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#3 PhilBa, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    Yes, lots of people have done something similar to this since the HPWC hanger only now is being shipped. However, I want to use the hanger that came with the HPWC. Plus, frankly, it looks a lot better and has a hook for the plug to keep it off the ground. I'll post a picture when it's mounted.

4. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

I got my cable organizer a couple of days ago and just opened the box. I had the same reaction to the design and the same solution. The tabs aren't really necessary given the orientation of the parts, so I'm just going to remove them.

5. aja2460

aja2460 Old Member

HPWC Cable Hanger is Here

Cable hanger arrived today. On the front porch when I got home from
    work.
    Looks nice. I'll install it later tonight.
    Cable Hanger.JPG

6. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Danger Will Robinson...

There's a gotcha lurking If you hear a click when you slide the hanger onto the bracket you better hope you never need to move it.

7. aja2460

aja2460 Old Member

it'd be hard to get the car to the charger for sure.

8. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

The Tesla organizer is a P.O.S! In addition to the crowbar-only removal problem, the tiny little tab used to secure the connector does not work when the cable is twisted or hanging in any orientation very far from perfectly aligned. First time the cable popped out and the connector smacked the concrete floor, second time the connector popped out when I brushed by the cable and almost dented the car. I'll stick with a garden hose hanger.

9. B-Chicago

B-Chicago Member

Agree 100% on the alignment issue. It is very difficult to get the handle to hang straight since the cord is wound in at least two circles around the hanger. I think it looks fine, and it was included with my charger so I will use it for the cable, but I let the handle hang similar to the garden hose picture posted as it is actually more secure that way.

Attached Files:

10. SeanTek

SeanTek Member

I just installed the cable organizer (cable hanger) on Monday, and I can slide the hook part off and on from the wall attachment part very smoothly and without drama. I did not remove the tabs. Just pull straight up, or push straight down. That is my experience anyway.

11. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Interesting. Mine was locked in place. No matter how hard I tried. Even had 2 of the construction workers on my garage try, they couldn't budge it.

12. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I didn't break tabs either and have no issues removing it.

13. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

I just received mine and have not mounted it yet but looks like the tabs are meant to keep it from sliding up accidentally vs. actually being locked in place. I can slide the mounting piece out with just a small amount of pressure so don't think mine need to be removed.

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I received mine today, and it acts only as a 'soft detent' I can pull it on and off easily.

15. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

yeah they really should say on the instructions in bold do not fully engage until the final time or something like that. I heard the dreaded click..... arrrgh.

16. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

mine 'clicked' and now can't be removed. Unfortunately its in the wrong place as I was just testing out possible locations. oops.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Got mine today too. I removed the tabs to avoid any potential locking issues.
    Honestly, I can't see much point to this thing. I don't understand why the cord is supposed to run through the back slot of the "organizer". the latch doesn't hold the charger "nozzle" worth a hoot. It's hanging up now and will probably remain, but just draping the cord over the HPWC itself was working just as well if not better.

18. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

That is not occurring with all of them but is best to check and see if it releases prior to mounting it...

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Mod Note: Threads merged and title updated to highlight warning.

20. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#20 PhilBa, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    Update. Got my hanger mounted and the business end of the cord (aka nozzle, connector, thingy or watchamacallit) fits just fine and does NOT pop out without lifting it up. It seems to work the way it is supposed to. Now I just need a Tesla to test it out. Friday can't come soon enough!

@pilotsteve, try putting some padding on the bottom and giving it a hard whack with something wide like a board. If the tabs are really detents, you might just pop it loose.