Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC cable - neat solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a pic of my HPWC. I’m not super happy with how untidy the cable looks, and it’s also in the road of grabbing the connector itself.

What other solutions are you folks using? Pics super helpful.

Cheers

Attachments

• A1109929-4FBB-4B8C-A14C-1A8246FF37F8.jpeg
    A1109929-4FBB-4B8C-A14C-1A8246FF37F8.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 86
Not sure how I can say this without sounding condescending, but you consider that setup untidy?

My cable is just wound around a hook I attached to the shelving unit that my EVSE (I don't have a wall connector, but rather a homebuilt dual-headed J1772 EVSE) is attached to. I'm guessing you'd be pretty horrified at how untidy my setup and the things I've got on my shelves look! ;)

I'm honestly not sure what you consider untidy about your setup, but maybe there is something lost in translation. What do you mean by "it’s also in the road of grabbing the connector itself" Is there an issue with unwinding it that you are having?

Not sure how I can say this without sounding condescending, but you consider that setup untidy?

My cable is just wound around a hook I attached to the shelving unit that my EVSE (I don't have a wall connector, but rather a homebuilt dual-headed J1772 EVSE) is attached to. I'm guessing you'd be pretty horrified at how untidy my setup and the things I've got on my shelves look! ;)

I'm honestly not sure what you consider untidy about your setup, but maybe there is something lost in translation. What do you mean by "it’s also in the road of grabbing the connector itself" Is there an issue with unwinding it that you are having?
When I go to grab the charging handle, the cables are in the road of providing a clear path out (shown by red arrow). Maybe I’m just being too fussy?!

Dangling the handle over the top of the charger body (as opposed to plugging it in the side) seems much easier to use, just not as tidy.

Attachments

• 4B0B1B99-C4C5-41F3-861E-0BD184E75F31.jpeg
    4B0B1B99-C4C5-41F3-861E-0BD184E75F31.jpeg
    764.1 KB · Views: 40
How much of the cable do you use when charging? I back our X in and we're right near the charger. If that's the case for you, you can always make the extra length neat by using velcro or tywrap and hang it behind the charger. You can always cut to length and re wire what you use and remove the excess.

I've seen cable organizers but those are more for the UMC IMO. Your HPWC basically has a cable organizer built in. I've got the older Gen 2 version which has a MUCH thicker and longer cable so your cable looks much neater compared to mine. I still don't really worry about it too much. Maybe for the accessibility aspect, try to make the loops larger. This should allow them to "sag" a little bit more which may make the handle stand outside of that loop a little bit more making it easier to access w/o the additional loops being in the way? Worth trying. FWIW, I don't think your s/u looks untidy at all.

Reactions: Rocky_H
BTW, here is what an "untidy" setup actually looks like 😆:

1659980338691.png

The connector on the left is a straight J1772 connector that clicks into a $5 holster attached to the shelf. The cable itself is wound and hanging off a hook I attached to the shelf. This is for my wife's J1772 car.

My connector is on the right. It's just loosely hanging down, but similarly the cable is wound and hanging off a second hook. I have a second J1772 holster attached to the shelf, which is a relic of the pre-Tesla days when my car also took J1772. I've basically just attached my J1772 adapter to the J1772 connector and it stays there permanently (I bought a second J1772 adapter to keep in the car).

I did find a kid who was selling 3D printed equivalents for Tesla connectors, but I wasn't sure whether it would work with the adapter or not, so I never did get it. I'm willing to tolerate letting it hang (or sometimes I lay it on the shelf). You can also find Tesla cable holsters online both cheap 3D printed things, and more professional ones. It sounds like your main trouble is having the connector dock on the side of the wall connector and interfering with the cord itself. A front docking holster with cable management like this would be what you are looking for (or just continue to use the wall connector itself for you cable management:
1659981345178.png

This is available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/TOPlight-Charging-Organizer-Accessories-Connector/dp/B07S2HKV4S/)

Actually, what kind of connector do you have in Australia? Is it J1772 Type 2 plug? If so, you can probably find very cheap Type 2 versions of the $5 one I have.

Reactions: Bennny
you can always make the extra length neat by using velcro or tywrap and hang it behind the charger
Be careful coiling up the cable. It can get hot when charging and melt if there is insufficient airflow around the cable.

Tesla ancient history tells of how one of the original Tesla founders did this at his house with an early prototype and it caught fire. I believe that was charging at about 70 amps but you still need to be careful, even at 'only' 30 amps (remember, your oven, stove, and clothes dryer get nice and hot at 'only' 30 amps).

Long loops, while perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing to some, are the safest - and they coil quicker since there are only 2 or 3 loops to make.

Be careful coiling up the cable. It can get hot when charging and melt if there is insufficient airflow around the cable.

Tesla ancient history tells of how one of the original Tesla founders did this at his house with an early prototype and it caught fire. I believe that was charging at about 70 amps but you still need to be careful, even at 'only' 30 amps (remember, your oven, stove, and clothes dryer get nice and hot at 'only' 30 amps).

Long loops, while perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing to some, are the safest - and they coil quicker since there are only 2 or 3 loops to make.
This is a non-issue especially on the Gen 3.

BTW, here is what an "untidy" setup actually looks like 😆:

View attachment 838158

The connector on the left is a straight J1772 connector that clicks into a $5 holster attached to the shelf. The cable itself is wound and hanging off a hook I attached to the shelf. This is for my wife's J1772 car.

My connector is on the right. It's just loosely hanging down,

I can only imagine what the rest of the shop looks like...
1660158419103.png