Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC : Charging at 40amps vs. 80amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am entering the home stretch of getting my CPO 60 (Friday)... which has dual chargers.

I had been debating getting a HPWC ... and with the duals, I think that i going to go for it.
One question, with it being a 60, I know that I don't need to take advantage of the full capability of the HPWC -- so I could just turn down the charge input (within the car) to 40a.

Except for the charge time needed, is there any reason to go 40amps vs. 80amps?

I did find it handy topping up at the Indianapolis Service Center during the Midwest Tesla Gathering; there were limited chargers for a lot of cars. Keep in mind, events such as that don't occur often, and because there are so many Superchargers, having twin chargers is becoming less a benefit.

On road trips I've been fortunate to find several high amperage J1772 and HPWC's to do a top up in between supercharging. It's far more workable when you can pull 60-80 amps during a stop vs. waiting for a 30 amp charge on the weak ones. I know that gets back to the charge time needed part of the answer, but it is more critical on the road vs. when you're charging overnight at home.

One question, with it being a 60, I know that I don't need to take advantage of the full capability of the HPWC -- so I could just turn down the charge input (within the car) to 40a.

It doesn't matter that it's a 60. It will still charge faster at 80 amps except when it tapers.

Assuming you have the old dual 40amp chargers, if you turn down the charge, turn it down to 42 amps instead of 40 since that way each charger will only operate at 21 amps instead of one charger at 40 amps. The chargers are liquid cooled high wear items so the less stress and heat on them the better.

Get the HPWC and wire it for 80 amps (100 amp breaker and wire). You can always dial it down but if you limit it with smaller breakers and wiring you are limiting your future charging rate. The cost differential is negligible. First time you want to charge fast and can't you'll regret the low amperage.

I have a 90D with dual chargers. I have never used an 80 amp at home: I have never needed to charge anything other than overnight, and 40 amps is plenty.

The only time I ever, EVER needed to charge faster was before the era of superchargers. Yeah, There was a Once Upon a Time when there were NO superchargers, and during that time, I used a couple 80 amp chargers while driving to and from Canada from CA. I have since gone to using home charging and supercharging and have never needed an 80 amp charger. I have always used my 14-50 outlet and Tesla 50 amp charger, for nearly 5 years now.

The outlet cost me around $50.

But do what you want.