Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC charging at only 16 AMPS on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Model 3 charges at 16 AMPS / 240 says HPWC is only partially plugged in.

Charging light is yellow.

Tried reseating plug several times and reset HWPC. Connectors look fine.

Model X charges at 48 AMPS consistently at no problem.

Model 3 charging with Model X charger gets 40 AMPs and green charging light.

Any ideas?

Wondering if I should have withheld the check to Tesla until I could have tested my HWPC at home. ;)

Any ideas?

Wondering if I should have withheld the check to Tesla until I could have tested my HWPC at home. ;)

You broke it already ??:eek:....is the yellow on charge port or yellow on wall connector ? I’m sure u know this already as the yellow on WC is because it reduced Amps due to heat ...if yellow on car port it’s the connection between WC and charge port is not seating correctly ..

You broke it already ??:eek:....is the yellow on charge port or yellow on wall connector ? I’m sure u know this already as the yellow on WC is because it reduced Amps due to heat ...if yellow on car port it’s the connection between WC and charge port is not seating correctly ..

Yes I busted it!

It's yellow on the car port. Tried inserting and reseating a few times. 16 AMPS. Plugged in Model X, boom back to 48 AMPS.

I will try it later! charging offsite now at the inlaws. Need that high SOC to slaughter random BMWs in town.

I owe you a drink for trying no matter the outcome.

Hope it fixes the issue however. Symptoms seem identical. Surprised it isnt a more common issue.

Most Model 3 owners just using mobile connector?

Model X Mobile Connector is charging it now..

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
From another thread

Cleaning supplies:
Spray the DeoxIt on one of the brushes and clean all the contact surfaces. Then use the swabs to remove all the dirt and dry the contacts.

Looks like it is common for the connection area to start failing due to dirt build up

Would definitely turn off breaker to HPWC before cleaning !

Video on DeoxIT

Last edited:

Any ideas?

A small plastic piece of your Model X charging port has broken off and is lodged inside your wall connector plug. When inserting it into the Model 3 it acts as spacer and keeps the plug from inserting all the way. Since it came from the Model X there is no additional spacer issue so it works fine there.

I am on my phone so I am not going to go searching the forums for the pictures / examples, but I have participated in threads about this. There was also a Reddit thread on this with good pictures that I answered.

A couple folks have fixed the issue by heating up like a pin or a drill bit hot with a candle and shoving it into the plastic piece and letting it cool. They were then able to extract it and get the charger working again.

Your Model X then needs service on its charge port to replace the broken charging port.

(I could be wrong, but these symptoms sound like a ringer for the solution I describe above)