Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Charging Limited to 79A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While not directly related, I questioned Sun Country Highway as to why their 80 amp unit would only deliver a 79 amp pilot signal to the car. I would set the car to 80, plug in and the car would drop down to 79 and could not be bumped up beyond that as long as it was plugged in. I get 79/79 amps and sometimes 78/79. SCH's response was that it was a "rounding error" or something like that in the way the car interprets the signal that it is receiving.

I heard back today. As I understand, there is a rounding error created in the chargers' interpretation of the pilot signal; there is an open ticket to be addressed in a future release.

I heard back today. As I understand, there is a rounding error created in the chargers' interpretation of the pilot signal; there is an open ticket to be addressed in a future release.

How is this for an error? This is from Charging at a 70 Amp Clipper Creek J1772 in Pagosa Springs. The pilot should indicate 70 Amps available from this EVSE, it's being displayed as 0 offered, and the P85D is charging at 71 Amps!

71-0.PNG

BTW, the Voltage drooped from 243 Volts to 235 Volts with no current limiting...

My initial observation is that this is resolved in 6.2. But I haven't had it for very long so it's still possible that I'm just getting lucky and getting 80A.

I noticed yesterday that with the new software, the car seemed to be properly recognizing the 80 amp pilot signal from one of my two HPWCs. Today I tried briefly charging at 80 amps at the other one and it worked, with the actual charging amperage varying between 79 and 80 amps. So it definitely looks to me as if this has been corrected in 6.2

I say BS on the Tolerance answer, its a BUG!

As I mentioned in my 85D First impressions thread my car is limiting itself to 79A on an 80A HPWC setup.

I get only 79 Amps, not 79.9 or something, and it says I get 89KM/h of charge when I should get 92KM/hour of charge.

Tesla needs to fix this, I paid $5000 to be able to put rewire my house and put in a 100 AMP breaker, I want full 80 Amps and 92KM/h of range.

I get only 79 Amps, not 79.9 or something, and it says I get 89KM/h of charge when I should get 92KM/hour of charge.

Tesla needs to fix this, I paid $5000 to be able to put rewire my house and put in a 100 AMP breaker, I want full 80 Amps and 92KM/h of range.

The amperage is a rounding error with the gen2 chargers. Not a huge deal. It's adding up six sub modules worth of current and losing precision along the way to the UI.

The range per hour meter is silly, IMO, but to get the full rated range per hour you need to have virtually no voltage drop on your HPWC wiring. I can pretty much guarantee 99% of homes will end up with less than 240V at the car while charging at 80A, and thus less than maximum range per hour. This is from your home's wiring, utility, etc, not the car or Tesla.