Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC charging outdoors questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I just ordered an HPWC and I'll be using it outside (we don't have a garage). Here's what I'm wondering:

1) Is it ok for the nozzle (part that goes in the car) to be outside without being covered? I ordered my HPWC, but didn't throw in the cable organizer because I'd read too many posts on TMC that talked about the nozzle not fitting well in the cable organizer. Should I plan on using something like a shower cap with rubber band to keep the nozzle end covered from rain/snow/etc? I realize the unit is fine staying outside, but I guess I'm worried about not having the slot in the cable organizer to protect the nozzle end.

2) The cable on my HPWC will be 24 feet. Do I need a install a hook to wrap the cable around or do you think I can just wrap the cable around the HPWC unit? I've never held that 24ft. cable, but I'm guessing it's pretty heavy.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rob

Hey,

I just ordered an HPWC and I'll be using it outside (we don't have a garage). Here's what I'm wondering:

1) Is it ok for the nozzle (part that goes in the car) to be outside without being covered? I ordered my HPWC, but didn't throw in the cable organizer because I'd read too many posts on TMC that talked about the nozzle not fitting well in the cable organizer. Should I plan on using something like a shower cap with rubber band to keep the nozzle end covered from rain/snow/etc? I realize the unit is fine staying outside, but I guess I'm worried about not having the slot in the cable organizer to protect the nozzle end.

2) The cable on my HPWC will be 24 feet. Do I need a install a hook to wrap the cable around or do you think I can just wrap the cable around the HPWC unit? I've never held that 24ft. cable, but I'm guessing it's pretty heavy.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rob

Just my unprofessional opinion, but I've seen HPWCs outside at many destination charging locations and I've never had an issue so I think you'll be fine. I have the HPWC in my garage and I don't have a separate cable organizer for it - I just wrap the cable around the HPWC unit and then put the nozzle into the side of the unit. The way it's designed that should prevent rain/snow/etc from getting to the nozzle. Works great! Good luck!

Reactions: RobW2428
The Wall Connector is designed to do exactly what you want. It has a port in the side to accept/protect the plug. The top of the unit is sloped to hold the cable if it is looped, and will hold enough loops (usually 3) if you mount the unit as directed in the instructions. The weight of the 24' cable is not excessive.

Reactions: RobW2428
if you haven't purchased a wrangler, and want to look at something different, take a look at this:

Tesla Cord Wrangler Kit
(I think this was from someone here on the boards if I remember right)

The files for this are also available if you have access to a 3d printer (Tesla Cord Wrangler by davidgeller)

Note, I haven't tried either that one nor the Tesla one, so I am not -recommending- either, but its always good to look around.

if you haven't purchased a wrangler, and want to look at something different, take a look at this:

Tesla Cord Wrangler Kit
(I think this was from someone here on the boards if I remember right)

The files for this are also available if you have access to a 3d printer (Tesla Cord Wrangler by davidgeller)

Note, I haven't tried either that one nor the Tesla one, so I am not -recommending- either, but its always good to look around.

Looks cool, but I think I'll wait and see how things go without one.

IMG_1202.JPG
Finished off our outdoor Tesla Wall Connector and NEMA 14-50 outdoor plug a few days back. We also included a 20 amp 110 outdoor plug for vacuum cleaner etc. the Tesla charger was provided by Tesla and Airbnb for FREE. Our Airbnb loft qualified for the free charger and our property will be added to the Tesla Destination Charging map. What a cool program and they were so easy to work with. Request a Tesla charger
I'll be adding two solar post caps, motion sensitive lighting and a coat of Deckover for the posts and it'll be finished. Looking forward to hosting more Tesla owners now that we're fully prepared to charge.