Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC coming in three days before pickup date. What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever experience this? I am not happen with Tesla's customer service so far. I have everything set up and just need to install the HPWC before I can get it inspected and PG&E to give me my meters and stuff. My electrician is probably not available on such short notice. Tesla didn't even let me know the charge was shipped out until it arrived today. I called Tesla multiple times about my HPWC.

What should I do now? I can't charge my car if I pick it up in less than three days now. Very stressed out over this right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not happen with Tesla's customer service so far.

I am NOT HAPPY!!

Don't know why we can't edit our posts.

I've been calling them ever since a month before delivery. I'm pretty sure they can delay the delivery, but I'm just saying why they couldn't schedule everything on a timely basis. I purchased a P85+ and not even getting decent service. I guess I really get what I paid for? I am not even asking much, just for my HPWC to come with enough time to install before I get the car.

Other than delaying the car I don't know what else I can do. Original plans for Thanksgiving are probably going to have to be tossed in the trash because of this stress of getting all this set up last minute.

Other ideas out there on what I can do now? I'm totally lost at this point. I'm a lost man. . . .

Well, I realize it would be much faster to use HPWC to charge, however, (and maybe I am just missing something here), can't you just use an adapter and regular current/socket for brief time while you get the electrician scheduled out there for the installation? The car should come with the necessary plug adapters, as I recall.
http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/outlet

I think TM does try to coordinate these things but they ultimately cannot control some of the supply issues. I think it took me like 6 months to get my HPWC but since I had a J1772 station already, I figured let more "needy" people get their HPWC first, so I didn't bug them over it.

I've been calling them ever since a month before delivery. I'm pretty sure they can delay the delivery, but I'm just saying why they couldn't schedule everything on a timely basis. I purchased a P85+ and not even getting decent service. I guess I really get what I paid for? I am not even asking much, just for my HPWC to come with enough time to install before I get the car.

Other than delaying the car I don't know what else I can do. Original plans for Thanksgiving are probably going to have to be tossed in the trash because of this stress of getting all this set up last minute.

Other ideas out there on what I can do now? I'm totally lost at this point. I'm a lost man. . . .

You can charge on multiple other sources. If none of those are available, have your electrician put in a temp 14-50 plug. It will only take him a short time and get you going until he can finish the install for your HPWC. they temp power like this all the time for construction sites. Not a stressable event!!

Worst case scenerio, you charge off of 110 until your HPWC is installed or use other charging available at local retail stores if available.

Where do you live? I'm sure there are some TMC members close by that would allow you to charge with them for a few days. FWIW I almost never use my HPWC, just a wall plug (14-50)

PS:you can't edit your posts as you only have 3 so far. You need a few more. WELCOME!

Might you be able to charge from a dryer receptacle if your mud room adjoins the garage or consider charging from an existing 110V 15amp (3 miles/hr) or a 110V 20amp (5 miles/hr) to hold you over? You can use a 12ga. extension cord (preferably on a dedicated branch circuit) if needed for 110V charging temporarily with the guidance of your electrician. I have had my car since January and only use a 14-30 receptacle for charging and my commute is 80 miles round trip. Sorry that your delivery experience is not going well. I am sure you will enjoy that awesome P85+ when it arrives!

Last edited:
Anyone ever experience this? I am not happen with Tesla's customer service so far. I have everything set up and just need to install the HPWC before I can get it inspected and PG&E to give me my meters and stuff. My electrician is probably not available on such short notice. Tesla didn't even let me know the charge was shipped out until it arrived today. I called Tesla multiple times about my HPWC.

What should I do now? I can't charge my car if I pick it up in less than three days now. Very stressed out over this right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I am NOT HAPPY!!

Don't know why we can't edit our posts.

I didn't get my HPWC until about 4 months after I had my car. One of these days I might actually get it installed, but there are plenty of places to charge if you look around. your MS will have plenty of range to charge every second, third or even fourth day (depending on your daily usage)

Yea I know there are a lot to charge everywhere, BUT I wish they didn't tell me that the charger would be shipped to me 1-2 weeks before my car arrives. Even this past week then said that they would contact me when they have shipped out the charger and no emails until I actually called them back to hear that it has already been delivered to the house. I'll try out the alternatives you guys suggested, BUT I wont be able to install a temp outlet. The 110 is just too slow for my driving.

I know I will enjoy the P85+! Just wished the customer service side was handled better.

Anyway I'll try maybe push back the delivery date or just charge at the Tesla stores. Good ideas?

Call another electrician. I called around and got one out to my house the next morning. You do not have to use Mr. Electric or Sun Nation if you do not want to. Any licensed electrician can do the work. bkenchan, you can come over to my house and use mine.:rolleyes: I know it is already too late for you but for others reading this, the HPWC typically arrives about a week to 10 days prior to the vehicle. Schedule an HPWC install for the week before car delivery and you should have no problems. Be aware, Tesla often delivers a few days or even up to a week early. They are rarely late on deliveries from what I have been reading.

I finally got my electrician to come on the day that I get my car! I want to use my electrician because he's been working on my house so you know. . .

Yea I know the HPWC is supposed to arrive 1-2 weeks prior, but it didn't. That's why I was so stressed over it.

I like how I can change the amps on the HPWC! Hope everything goes well on Saturday. I'm still NOT HAPPY with the customer service I got from Tesla though.