Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC connector not fully engaging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I've had my HPWC and used it daily for 7 months with no issues until this week when I began noticing it taking several tries to get the connector to fully lock in. I would get a very quick clicking upon inserting the connector and the LED ring would turn green instead of the usual blue, and the dash would show a charge draw of just 16 amps instead of 60 and the connector would not lock in.

Tonight I tried 10 or more times and never did get a blue ring, but finally, even with a green ring I finally got the connector to lock in and the dash showed 60amps.

Only change is I did update to v4.5 .61 on Sunday. No issues with my UMC like this that I've noticed, but only used it 1-2 times this week.

Anyone else? Any suggestions before I call service?

IIRC, there was a post some time ago about foreign matter (aka gunk) preventing the connector from fully engaging. That was about a UMC, but it should be applicable to either.

Yup, check to see if you have "foreign matter" in the little groove in the bottom of the car's connector. I've also read in a couple of threads about the charge port lock getting misaligned, you may need service to look at it.

I've had my HPWC and used it daily for 7 months with no issues until this week when I began noticing it taking several tries to get the connector to fully lock in. I would get a very quick clicking upon inserting the connector and the LED ring would turn green instead of the usual blue, and the dash would show a charge draw of just 16 amps instead of 60 and the connector would not lock in.

Tonight I tried 10 or more times and never did get a blue ring, but finally, even with a green ring I finally got the connector to lock in and the dash showed 60amps.

Only change is I did update to v4.5 .61 on Sunday. No issues with my UMC like this that I've noticed, but only used it 1-2 times this week.

Anyone else? Any suggestions before I call service?

I had this exact experience yesterday. I have two HPWCs. The first never exhibits this problem. The second occasionally is hard to seat properly - or at least to get the car to acknowledge. Yesterday for the first time the car said that the connector was engaged, but only showed 16A. Removing and reseating the connector several times (maybe 4) did the trick.

I will check for foreign matter on the connector to see if that's the problem.