TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HPWC Cord Cover

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by ko-3, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ko-3

ko-3 New Member

Having my HPWC installed soon. Trying to decide on the best placement. My preferred spot for ease and aesthetics is on the passenger side. The 24' cable will reach if I go around the back end of the car, but can already tell managing that much cable everyday is going to be a pain. Before I spend the extra money and running a lot of conduit just to get to the other side of the car I am investigating cable options.

Has anyone tried using a heavy duty cord cover like this with the HPWC cable? It is rated for 24,000 lbs so should be plenty sturdy enough and would also double as a parking stop. I can't see why this would not work, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with doing this and if there are any gotchas.

Attached Files:

2. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

[​IMG]

Placed in such a way that when my gf is backing her SUV in and feels the front wheels hit the ramp, it's time to stop.

• Like x 1
  3. ko-3

ko-3 New Member

Nice! Does the cover move much? Is it bolted down? Where did you get the pole?

4. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

#4 run-the-joules, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    The cable ramp doesn't move at all. The pole is a bollard cover from amazon, and the base is a plumbing fitting that has something to do with toilets I gather, fitted into a melamine platform. The clip is just a, uh, clip thing from home depot. Dunno what it's called. It slides around a liiiiiitle bit over the course of a few weeks, once I get off my ass and buy a sheet of metal to replace the melamine I'll also put anti-ski rubber things on the bottom.

5. ko-3

ko-3 New Member

Thanks for the info. Again nice work. Going to give the cord cover a try.

• Like x 1
  6. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Personally I would have gone over the top and had the cable hang from the ceiling. This seems like trip hazards galore not to mention a huge bollard in the way.

7. T3SLA_S

T3SLA_S Member

I elected to install mine in the ceiling. Screwed velcro straps to the ceiling for the excess cable (coiled up) and the remaining end with the plug hangs about a foot below the inlet of the vehicle. Works great and with the 220 in the center of the ceiling it allows me to put the vehicle anywhere in the garage, pulled in or backed in.

• Like x 1
  8. Ed Hart

Ed Hart Member

Probably no two installation are going to be the same. I am currently juggling a single HPWC to charge two cars. In moving quickly from one car to the next, I grabbed the connector when it was near peak temperature. Hot! I got a glove to complete the changeover. Anyone have a similar experience? HPWC Thermal Performance.jpg

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. DanL3

DanL3 Member

Great pictures