TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HPWC data link question

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by alpinebum1, Jul 31, 2018.

1. alpinebum1

alpinebum1 Member

I just bought Belden B8760 cable for the data link between my two HPWCs. It is 18AWG, shielded, twister-pair, 2 conductor, 300V. I just noticed the Tesla manual states 600V cable is required. I can’t imagine anything in the HPWC is running higher than 300V. Does anybody know if I can safely use the cable I bought?

2. ka9q

ka9q Member

I don't actually know, but I can't imagine the link is anything but low voltage data. Question: does anybody have documentation on the format?

3. animorph

animorph Member

I believe the 600V restriction is only if it's in the same conduit as the 240V wires.

• Like x 1
  4. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

Animorph is correct. I used the same wire in my installation (see avatar).

• Like x 1
  5. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Please Insert a Model 3 into Avatar

I would suggest getting 600v wiring because 240v actually has a 340v peak to peak waveform so the voltage potential is greater than the insulation provided by the 300v cable.

6. M_VdM

M_VdM Member

Have a look over here: HPWC Hacking

7. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

I just looked through the installation manual again. The voltage rating for the comms wire isn't even mentioned. They're only worried about it being RF shielded. Your power wires already have 600V insulation on them, so the comm wires only need to be minimally protected anyway. Your cable choice is fine.

8. alpinebum1

alpinebum1 Member

Thanks for the info. I'm sticking with the cable already purchased. It's getting run through it's own conduit and has a very sturdy jacket on it. Stuff wasn't cheap either.

• Like x 1