Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Down for second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I aN GROWING CONCERNED ABOUT MY HPWC. I have had the car and charger for almost a year. For the second time it has stopped working. The first time TESLA came out and fixed it. This time they say they are sending out an electrician to change it because they can not fix it. Fortunately it is under warranty. It is a great car but very disconcerting if i am unable to use it. Have others had many issues? Do most get a back up 40amp wall charger installed as a back up? Has anyone compared charging through 40 amps vs 80 as far as cost and efficiency?

I aN GROWING CONCERNED ABOUT MY HPWC. I have had the car and charger for almost a year. For the second time it has stopped working. The first time TESLA came out and fixed it. This time they say they are sending out an electrician to change it because they can not fix it. Fortunately it is under warranty. It is a great car but very disconcerting if i am unable to use it. Have others had many issues? Do most get a back up 40amp wall charger installed as a back up? Has anyone compared charging through 40 amps vs 80 as far as cost and efficiency?

Half as many miles per hour of charge, Half as many KW per hour... longer timewise, push cost wise...

Do most get a back up 40amp wall charger installed as a back up? Has anyone compared charging through 40 amps vs 80 as far as cost and efficiency?

Fortunately I'm relocating my J1772 L2 Voltec Charger for my son. That will serve as my MS back-up. I've ordered my HPWC and my MS this weekend. I'm guessing the HPWC will come first. :)

I'll tell you though - borrowing the P85D this weekend, it put only about 10 miles/hour on the battery at the pathetic 15 amps it was pulling.

Fortunately I'm relocating my J1772 L2 Voltec Charger for my son. That will serve as my MS back-up. I've ordered my HPWC and my MS this weekend. I'm guessing the HPWC will come first. :)

I'll tell you though - borrowing the P85D this weekend, it put only about 10 miles/hour on the battery at the pathetic 15 amps it was pulling.

O'Chris, thou who doth vexeth pigs in ye' noble steed P85D,

Why hath thou installeth HPWC, when thine Tesla liveth in depravity of dual chargers!
Hast NEMA 14-50 not valorous enough for thine desires?
Enlighten us lord! telleth ye all!

I've never had a problem like that with mine. Mine was getting a little too hot (and I replaced it) but it never ceased to function. I've had it in service for over 2 years now. I don't have a backup NEMA 14-50 installed but I can connect to my dryer outlet if necessary.
The cost/efficiency of 40 amps will be virtually the same as 80.