Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC dropped from 80 to 40 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 5 year old HPWC just dropped to a max of 40 amps. My dual charger Model S charges fine elsewhere. Reset the electrical panel circuit breakers and no change. The other clue is when I press on the reset button, the lights do not go out for a moment but just stay green. Should I just buy another one?

My 5 year old HPWC just dropped to a max of 40 amps. My dual charger Model S charges fine elsewhere. Reset the electrical panel circuit breakers and no change. The other clue is when I press on the reset button, the lights do not go out for a moment but just stay green. Should I just buy another one?

Are you sure that it charges at 80 amps at other HPWC? Reason I ask is I know someone who had same problem, suddenly only charging at 40 amps, and thought it was a problem with one of their two chargers. Unfortunately, within two weeks they could not charge at all. Turned out it was a bad cell in the main battery. I hope that you have a simpler problem, but their experience could be a consideration if you're planning a cross-country summer roadtrip.

Good luck!

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and MMC-
We went to the local Tesla service center and the car charged at over 40 amps. So it is the wall charger right? Well I had someone else with a Model S come by and try charging with my charger and they got more than 40 amps. Go figure. The problem seems to be pairing my car with my charger. Well, its off to the service center today.

Unless someone has been inside the HPWC and changed switches, i have trouble seeing how it could be the issue. What does the charging screen say when you're charging at home? 40a/40a or 40a/80a? Could you have dialed it down, and now the car is remembering the setting? Can you manually dial it back up?

Took it to Tesla service yesterday and they said that the slave charger is exhibiting some screwy data and they want $2300 to replace it and we do not have that kind of money right now. Just paid $2300 to have the MCU replaced. My business partner is trying to lynch me right now.