Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Energy Usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if I’m misunderstanding something here regarding my MYP’s energy usage.

All of my charging is done at home via my Tesla Wall Connector @48 amps. (Actually, I did try a supercharger once for 15 minutes or so when I first got the car to make sure I knew what I was doing).

My car has 3239 miles on it & shows Total Energy usage as 957 kWh, resulting in 296 Wh/mi. Seems rerasonable, based on what I've read here & elsewhere.

When I query my wall connector with "http://wall.connector.uri/api/1/lifetime", substituting its IP address for “wall.connector.uri”, I get the following report:

{"contactor_cycles":79,"contactor_cycles_loaded":3,"alert_count":3,"thermal_foldbacks":0,"avg_startup_temp":27.1,"charge_starts":79,"energy_wh":1408681,"connector_cycles":44,"uptime_s":16034694,"charging_time_s":373001}

If I understand this correctly, the report shows that my connector has used 1408681 watt hours since new, corresponding to approximately 435 Wh/mi, which seems like a huge disagreement with the wall connector usage.

What am I missing here? Does that “energy-wh”: 1408681 not indicate the total electricity used by the wall connector?

Thanks for any explanation!

Reactions: CaseyL
I'm not sure I understand. Does something say you used 26.4kwh of charging?
Yes, the "energy_wh" metric available via the "lifetime" api showa this difference when you subsract yesterdays reading from today's for exampe, when only half was consumed. If you scroll up you can see that others have also seen double counting issues causing this. It's likely a bug in the firmware I was wondering if anyone found a solution, or had gotten any response from Tesla. I was hoping to use the data from the API instead of a physical meter to monitor usage, but this.is not feasible currently.

My question about idle power was separate from this. I was just a little concreted about the idle current reported via then api (about 0.3A/phase), but if you are correct these readings must just not be very accurate at very low currents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was just a little concreted about the idle current reported via then api (about 0.3A/phase), but if you are correct these readings must just not be very accurate at very low currents.
I'd wager that the voltage/current are out of phase with each other and while it may actually be seeing 0.3A/phase, that 0.3A/phase may be occurring at 10V or somesuch.

Upvote 0
I'd wager that the voltage/current are out of phase with each other and while it may actually be seeing 0.3A/phase, that 0.3A/phase may be occurring at 10V or somesuch.

Not sure about things being "out of phase", but you may have a point re: voltage. I was calculating current power consumption using grid_v * vehicle_current_a * 3, but It may be that it is actually 0.2*3.9 + 0.3*0 + 0.3*4.4 = 2.1W. 2W seems very low though given it has an active Wi-Fi connection and is running a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Another way of thinking about it is that the wall connector is probably only using a single phase for idle operations (Wi-Fi etc.), so power is grid_v * vehicle_current_a * 1, so 70-100W. Unfortunately, I don't have an induction meter, else it would be easy to test.

1694339007055.png

Upvote 0