Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TESLA support was non-existent for a failure of my TESLA high power wall charger to charge my car. The unit had power and it was suggested that I rule out a problem with the car itself by using the included mobile charger to connect to a different power source -- in my case a house current garage outlet. At 5 miles of range per hour, this is only good for a test; it is not a solution. The car slowly charged using the mobile charger.

Basically, the "support" staff told me to call an electrician and advised that if the HPWC is "broken" I would have to buy a new unit for full price. This unit was installed in August 2018, one month before my car arrived on September 26, 2018. Before I tell you how the unit was "fixed", I want to say that for a $65,000 car TESLA support was not just lousy, it was worthless. Service staff should, at the very least, KNOW what I learned online! AND, it should NOT be telling me I have to rebuy what I just bought for $550 a year ago. The warranty SUCKS! The car is unusable without a working HPWC and there are none, ZERO, Tesla or any other chargers in my immediate vicinity. If a critical part breaks after one year, there ought to have a more reasonable solution.

What no one at DEVON or Cherry Hill knew and what I found online was that solid state parts can be finicky. The solution is to turn off the power (flip the fuse) to the TESLA charger at my source of power. Keep it off for about 5-10 minutes and then flip the fuse back on. Voila, the charger now works perfectly and I was able to charge my car.

It works perfectly now. But I have to wonder which part is flaky and WHY this is so. The entire time the car would not charge, the power indicator on the wall charger was working fine. I could see the power was on; however, it was not transmitting power to my M3. So, is this a design flaw? A cheap part that is flaky? Whatever it is, TESLA should have a way to test and fix such an expensive part and not leave me, its customer, at a total loss to solve the problem.

l postedt this here so that other HPWC owners can see not only how to solve the problem but how TESLA was of no help and took no responsibility whatever.

Thanks so much for your comments!

Golfin,

Here is the manual for your device:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...a-wall-connector-installation-manua-en-v1.pdf

As Charley above mentioned, the common sense approach is a POPO. My best guess is that the power company was switching the grid around to repair or upgrade transformers. The TESLA unit seems quite cautious when it comes to monitoring grounding, phase and other perimeters. During a winter storm in Philadelphia, I can only imagine what work your utility must perform to keep things humming along. It is most likely that the circuitry in the charger did its job, stopping operation when it sensed an unsafe condition. It then needed to be reset.

The other thing that does break the charger is pulling the cable out of it's restraining bracket. RichRebuilds (popular YouTube TESLA repairer) broke his by not properly storing his cable (looping it around the box). It shouldn't be easy to dislodge those wires and pull them out and he's probably pulling his cables all over the place to his various projects (worst case scenario) but maybe something to be considerate of. We are used to carefully handling fuel lines, electric less so.

We had a wind/ice event last year and every day we had power interruptions. My equipment survived, but modern circuitry doesn't care for power spiking while in use.

Even a brand new $100,000,000.00+ Airbus product needs a reboot if you screw with its power supply when hooked to ground power.

Tom

Last edited:
When all else fails...
Hit the reset!!!

Attachments

• 15753380357391934154659195941678.jpg
    15753380357391934154659195941678.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 329
TESLA support was non-existent for a failure of my TESLA high power wall charger to charge my car. The unit had power and it was suggested that I rule out a problem with the car itself by using the included mobile charger to connect to a different power source -- in my case a house current garage outlet. At 5 miles of range per hour, this is only good for a test; it is not a solution. The car slowly charged using the mobile charger.

Basically, the "support" staff told me to call an electrician and advised that if the HPWC is "broken" I would have to buy a new unit for full price. This unit was installed in August 2018, one month before my car arrived on September 26, 2018. Before I tell you how the unit was "fixed", I want to say that for a $65,000 car TESLA support was not just lousy, it was worthless. Service staff should, at the very least, KNOW what I learned online! AND, it should NOT be telling me I have to rebuy what I just bought for $550 a year ago. The warranty SUCKS! The car is unusable without a working HPWC and there are none, ZERO, Tesla or any other chargers in my immediate vicinity. If a critical part breaks after one year, there ought to have a more reasonable solution.

What no one at DEVON or Cherry Hill knew and what I found online was that solid state parts can be finicky. The solution is to turn off the power (flip the fuse) to the TESLA charger at my source of power. Keep it off for about 5-10 minutes and then flip the fuse back on. Voila, the charger now works perfectly and I was able to charge my car.

It works perfectly now. But I have to wonder which part is flaky and WHY this is so. The entire time the car would not charge, the power indicator on the wall charger was working fine. I could see the power was on; however, it was not transmitting power to my M3. So, is this a design flaw? A cheap part that is flaky? Whatever it is, TESLA should have a way to test and fix such an expensive part and not leave me, its customer, at a total loss to solve the problem.

l postedt this here so that other HPWC owners can see not only how to solve the problem but how TESLA was of no help and took no responsibility whatever.

Thanks so much for your comments!

You didn't mention exactly how you knew "the unit had power".. was the green front panel light on? Did you see a streaming green light? A red light? A blinking red light?

Note that the Tesla HPWC Installation manual has a troubleshooting section. One of the troubleshooting methods is to do a HPWC reset. Did you do this? Another method that's mentioned is to turn off the circuit breaker for 10 seconds. This apparently would have solved your problem.

It does not seem from your description that the HPWC was at all defective or flaky, but merely doing what it was designed to do. One of the things it's designed to do is to protect you from dangerous conditions, like a lousy ground connection. Be happy the HPWC may have saved your life by refusing to turn on before a power cycle released the fault logic.

I'm sorry you had to deal with disappointing Tesla support.

BTW, did you contact Tesla support through the main Tesla website or did you contact the online store support? I recently had an issue with my Wall Connector . At first, I contacted Tesla support through the main website. I found that the online chat feature worked best in terms of reaching someone. This person told me that since I purchased the Wall Connector through the online store, I should contact the online store support and ask about having the Wall Connector serviced or replaced. I first sent an email to the online support. I did not receive a reply for 3 or 4 days, so I sent another email stating that I had an urgent need for help because my Wall Connector stopped working and I cannot charge my car. To my pleasant surprise an assistant manager replied to me. He asked me to send him some pics of the broken piece, which I did. He then shipped me a new Wall Connector at no cost to me since it was still under warranty. Tesla came through in the end.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
How did you acquire the Tesla wall unit? I agree with the last post that you have to be in touch with the correct person on the other end. Who was it?
I agree with the posts that it is quite likely that the unit was behaving how it was supposed to. Something could be off and it's sensing it.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Oh my goodness.

1. Products that are out of warranty are out of warranty.
2. It wasn't actually broken anyway.
The car is unusable without a working HPWC
3. Bull. Plenty of people use them without that.
there are none, ZERO, Tesla or any other chargers in my immediate vicinity.
4. You are in the city of Philadelphia, not some podunkville like Slave Lake, Alberta. I can't even begin to address how many dozens of charging points there are near you. Check Plugshare.

We will be glad to help with real problems, but tone down the nonsense some, please.

Hey Everyone, I just joined the TMC and it's helpful to know that I am not the only one having issues with the HPWC and struggling with Tesla support. After a year of flawlessly charging my Model 3 at 44 mi/hr speeds, it just stopped one night. Apparently a box fire (see image) was the cause. I brought into my local dealership, and they directed me to onlinesales. It's been 2 weeks, 3 emails, and a phone call to Tesla Home Charging 888-765-2489 who informed that Support is busy and they would get to me soon (one week since that call).

I rely on a home charge for my driving usage patterns, so replacing this is a priority, and without knowing how Tesla will respond I am blocked on moving forward, and finding any written warranty info online is challenging. If they won't stand behind this product and I need to buy another one, I'll likely go for a universal charger with a published warranty (e.g. Juicebox 40).

I would greatly appreciate some help with any of these questions:
1) Has anyone had any luck with getting a HPWC replaced with just over a year since purchase?
2) Is there a better way to get through to an online support rep that can help? (someone mentioned chat, but I was unable to find this)
3) Where can I find a warranty for the HPWC?
4) Can you recommend any other high power charges for your Tesla?
Thanks!
-rob

IMG_8885.jpg

Hey Everyone, I just joined the TMC and it's helpful to know that I am not the only one having issues with the HPWC and struggling with Tesla support. After a year of flawlessly charging my Model 3 at 44 mi/hr speeds, it just stopped one night. Apparently a box fire (see image) was the cause. I brought into my local dealership, and they directed me to onlinesales. It's been 2 weeks, 3 emails, and a phone call to Tesla Home Charging 888-765-2489 who informed that Support is busy and they would get to me soon (one week since that call).

I rely on a home charge for my driving usage patterns, so replacing this is a priority, and without knowing how Tesla will respond I am blocked on moving forward, and finding any written warranty info online is challenging. If they won't stand behind this product and I need to buy another one, I'll likely go for a universal charger with a published warranty (e.g. Juicebox 40).

I would greatly appreciate some help with any of these questions:
1) Has anyone had any luck with getting a HPWC replaced with just over a year since purchase?
2) Is there a better way to get through to an online support rep that can help? (someone mentioned chat, but I was unable to find this)
3) Where can I find a warranty for the HPWC?
4) Can you recommend any other high power charges for your Tesla?
Thanks!
-rob

View attachment 507931

Chat only works if you are trying to reach Tesla support for their cars. But for a HPWC that was purchased through their online store, you have to email online sales support at:

[email protected]

At first a couple days went by without a reply. I then sent a second email in which I stated that I really need to address this issue because this is my only way to charge my Tesla and without it, I have no other charging option. I then got a prompt email reply from an assistant manager with the home charging division. He asked me to send him a pic of the issue and, upon receiving this, he then sent me a brand new HPWC.

Good luck, I hope you get the help you are requesting from Tesla.

This is not a warranty item. The fail was due to the installation or one of the lugs not properly torqued/leads not properly terminated. Check for proper wire size also.

This was installed by a licensed electrician. How can you tell improper torgue from the picture, so that I might take this up with my electrician? Below is a picture before I splayed the wires for better viewing of the damage.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8884.jpg
    IMG_8884.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 149
This was installed by a licensed electrician. How can you tell improper torgue from the picture, so that I might take this up with my electrician? Below is a picture before I splayed the wires for better viewing of the damage.
Thanks!

The wire in red came loose or melted. It was likely nicked, loose, or not fully inserted. Or possibly undersized.

8DBD6A2F-21D5-4A2C-ABAD-A11477205AF3.jpeg

8DBD6A2F-21D5-4A2C-ABAD-A11477205AF3.jpeg

Attachments

• 71DEC84A-4469-4591-9C51-7FF1776D77BD.jpeg
    71DEC84A-4469-4591-9C51-7FF1776D77BD.jpeg
    721.2 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: mswlogo and Lloyd