Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Gen 3 info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a thread in for sale forum referencing a gen 3, but didn't find other threads here.

Went looking on Tesla's website. Looks like this is VERY new...like within the last few weeks.

Wall Connector

Just ordered a gloss black late last month. Now that's no longer even listed. Guess this explains why both of those options have been going in & out of stock so frequently.

Previously, the other option was silver, and you could get a 24' or 8.5' cable.

Quick review of differences in gen 3:
1) It has wifi "Connecting Wall Connector to a local Wi-Fi network enables it to receive over-the-air firmware updates, remote diagnostics access, and usage data tracking capability." 2.4GHz, WPA 2/3 only (WPA enterprise supported in the future). Looks like it can also be an AP your car can connect to?
2) "Tesla vehicles can provide firmware updates to Wall Connectors." Hmmmm.
3) You can get any color you want, as long as it's white
4) 18ft cable is currently the only option, but the manual references an 8.5' version too.
5) Max output is 48A/11kw (Gen 2 also supported 80A/20kw & 72/64/56A as well)
6) Slightly smaller in all dimensions, and weighs 10lbs vs. 20lbs for Gen 2.

I wonder if you can mix and match gen 2 and 3 for load sharing (I doubt it). I pre wired for a second charger outside of my garage in addition to the V2 unit inside on the same circuit. I might need to buy a V2 sooner rather than later to ensure comparability unless there is some very compelling reason to move to V3.

Reactions: ai4px
Well the gen 2 has RS485. Elsewhere there is documentation to communicate to it. So I have USB to RS485 adapter. That will connect to a later model wifi router...
The bit in the middle is replacing the firmware in the router...
So the gen2 is still a viable option. That said, only 48 Amps means slower charging at home for those who thought they had that covered.
Yes, the Tesla plug supports 80A. But the J1772 only supports 50A in a UL listed form as far as I can see... Anybody got any comments on using the full 80A?
There are issues with the 80A gen 2 if the wiring isn't tight! I've just repaired one!

You couldn't find any threads about this? There's currently four v3 HPWC threads going on.

Mods really need to merge all of these as it's turning into several fragmented conversations talking largely about the same points.
Please share links.

Before posting, I searched for a variety of things like "HPWC gen 3".

After your post, I searched for "HPWC v3". This post is the only relevant hit.

If search is busted here, that would explain a lot of things...

Please share links.

Before posting, I searched for a variety of things like "HPWC gen 3".

After your post, I searched for "HPWC v3". This post is the only relevant hit.

If search is busted here, that would explain a lot of things...

I was wrong... there's not three, there's actually at least FOUR started before your thread was created:

1) New Wifi Wall Connector 48 amps?

2) New Tesla Wall Connector

3) V3 Wall Charger

4) Gen 3 Wall Connector

That's just the four that I subscribed to (five including yours) that were started in the few subforums I'm subscribed to & got email notifications of. There's most likely even more conversations occurring on the exact same topic across several other subforums I'm not subscribed to. Forum staff needs to do a better job of merging these types of threads early to avoid fragmented conversations.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I wonder if you can mix and match gen 2 and 3 for load sharing (I doubt it). I pre wired for a second charger outside of my garage in addition to the V2 unit inside on the same circuit. I might need to buy a V2 sooner rather than later to ensure comparability unless there is some very compelling reason to move to V3.

The manual shows a single RS485 connection, so I am thinking that a V3 WC may be able to act as a master to V2 WCs. (It doesn't have a second connection, that I assume would be "in" to act as a pass-through and would be necessary if it was a slave, unless you could only have a single V3 WC at the end of a V2 sharing network.)

Of course sharing on the V3 WCs is coming in a future software update, so it might be a while before we find out what it is capable of.

I'm just going to pick up another V2 charger in the short term since I already pre wired for a charger outside on the same branch circuit as the one in my garage. V3 may have cool features but I'd like to have the longer cable and greater headroom in current capacity in case they introduce on board chargers above 48A at some point in the future.

I'm just going to pick up another V2 charger in the short term since I already pre wired for a charger outside on the same branch circuit as the one in my garage. V3 may have cool features but I'd like to have the longer cable and greater headroom in current capacity in case they introduce on board chargers above 48A at some point in the future.
I doubt Tesla will introduce higher current capacity, otherwise they would had provided that option with the V3 HPWC. Now the cable length is an issue and a true drawback to the new unit.

I'm just going to pick up another V2 charger in the short term
Not available online anymore.

I doubt Tesla will introduce higher current capacity, otherwise they would had provided that option with the V3 HPWC.
Uh...are you new to the way Tesla works? They change stuff ALL THE TIME. It would not surprise me at all to see them call such a charger a v3 as well, and leave it to people digging into the spec sheets to figure out the differences between them :p

This is my biggest question. Have the V2 for my model 3 but we are adding a Model Y to the household. I would like to add the second wall connector on the same circuit and daisy chain them but I am not sure whether a V2 will work with a V3.

This is my biggest question. Have the V2 for my model 3 but we are adding a Model Y to the household. I would like to add the second wall connector on the same circuit and daisy chain them but I am not sure whether a V2 will work with a V3.
I went ahead and bought a new in box V2 the week that the V3 was announced. I got it for a nice discount as well. :D

Oddly enough I got mine from a guy in CT, probably not far from you. He bought a model 3 and almost immediately sold it. He just decided it didn't do what he needed for his family. He gave me a great price and threw in a few accessories that he bought that he wasn't going to use.

I'm sure a few V2 chargers are out there, it's just the question of what price will people be asking given that we know that there are a few things about V2 that are currently more capable than V3 such as the total amperage, cable length, and up to 4 units on the same branch circuit. I'm sure some features about V3 will eventually announced that are compelling. I already had my whole install set up and wire run for an additional HPWC on the same branch circuit just outside my garage. It would have been a pain to reconfigure. I wanted to just hook up a second charger and a network cable and be done with it.