Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC GETTING HOT WITH CHARGING

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i use HPWC to charge my X and model3. Noticing hey connector getting quite hot when charging the X (used to be just warm). The model 3 (charges at lower amp) now gets warm. The connector appears clean. Anybody with similar experience?

Without specific numbers, impossible to tell. But at 72 amps, the wand does get quite warm. At home I charge at 50 amps. My car has been charging for 30 minutes or so, and the wand temp is 102º F Ambient temperature in my garage today is approx 93º F, so roughly a 10º change from ambient. If I was charging at 72 amps, it would probably be around 140 (that's a guess). I don't have a model 3 (yet) but at 32 amps, I would expect something below 102º

If the wand ever overheats, the car will complain and reduce the rate.

Even though they look clean, just in case you may want to use a Q-tip and gentle cleaner on both the connector's contacts and your charge ports. Be sure to also dry the connections with a new Q-tip.

It may be good to reduce the charge amperage from the screen by several amps since this should also extend the life of your Wall Connector (generating less heat both in the wall unit and connector). If you still have trouble, consider contacting [email protected].

Reactions: Kacey Green
I have one of the original wall chargers from my Model S and I charged at 80amp. I use it now on our Model X 72amp. That handle does get hot... like almost to burning hot. This is normal as far as I know.

Yeah, as Electric700 says, try lowering the amperage to on the X to 32 (to match the 3) and see how the handle feels (carefully).

-m

i use HPWC to charge my X and model3. Noticing hey connector getting quite hot when charging the X (used to be just warm). The model 3 (charges at lower amp) now gets warm. The connector appears clean. Anybody with similar experience?

I had the same issue. It wasn't the cable getting hot. It was the HPWC itself. Charging was also tripping the breaker occasionally. It ended up being one of the connections at the breaker was loose.

• Informative
Digging up this old thread. I’m having this same issue. I have the Gen 2 HPWC, Model X P100D and Model 3 Stealth Perf. I notice that with the X, both pulling max Amps at 48, the cables get pretty hot, but the breaker gets crazy hot. Like 1 leg is 132F and the other 105F.

Both are pull about 47-48 amps each leg.

We have it set to 9 in the HPWC for the dip switch thing, and 6AWG copper and a 60Amp breaker.

I noticed this a year ago, so i replaced the breaker, as it was an older one. And i thought I had it figured out, but it gets so hot that a week or so ago, the Mode X actually started charging at 5KW instead of normal 10-11.

Anyone else see this before? I tightened down all the connection points, and I have yet to notice this with my Model 3. Just the X seems to crank the temp on that breaker. The conduit the 6AWG is in (metal clad kind) also gets pretty warm to touch.

Thanks.

I believe a 60 amp breaker and 6AWG stranded copper (not Romex) is to spec. I would think 48amp should be fine no? I only notice excessive heat with X not 3. Both pulling same amperage.

I did not use a torque wrench. I may need to adjust the X to 40 though. Thanks.

Digging up this old thread. I’m having this same issue. I have the Gen 2 HPWC, Model X P100D and Model 3 Stealth Perf. I notice that with the X, both pulling max Amps at 48, the cables get pretty hot, but the breaker gets crazy hot. Like 1 leg is 132F and the other 105F.

Both are pull about 47-48 amps each leg.

We have it set to 9 in the HPWC for the dip switch thing, and 6AWG copper and a 60Amp breaker.

I noticed this a year ago, so i replaced the breaker, as it was an older one. And i thought I had it figured out, but it gets so hot that a week or so ago, the Mode X actually started charging at 5KW instead of normal 10-11.

Anyone else see this before? I tightened down all the connection points, and I have yet to notice this with my Model 3. Just the X seems to crank the temp on that breaker. The conduit the 6AWG is in (metal clad kind) also gets pretty warm to touch.

Thanks.

You can quantify this. Voltage should be displayed when the car connects but isn't charging. How much does the voltage drop?

I had a problem drawing 72Amps on HPWC where the cable, charger, conduit and breakers were all getting too hot to touch. Then I started smelling a burning wire smell. Sure enough-the connecter inside the charger was frying! I called Tesla-they felt there might be a defect of the Charger and sent me a new one. The new one (Gen 2) started having the same heating up problems. I spoke with my electrician who felt the wiring in the house could not take the 72 Amp draw so we lowered it to 64 amps-and the conduit, cable, charger, 80 Amp breaker are still getting to hot to touch.
I have subsequently lowered the limit in the car to 58Amps and will see how that goes. I was not willing to change the copper wiring to accommodate 72 Amps. I can live with a slower charge.

I charged finally a long session with the 3. The top/outside of the breaker was very hot as well. 135F. That seems really high. I lowered the X to 40 amps. I think i may do the same with the 3. This is a brand new breaker too. I have to get a torque wrench still but it’s super tight on both ends. they were both pulling the same amperage on both hot lines, but one line is 20F higher than the other. So weird.

I charged finally a long session with the 3. The top/outside of the breaker was very hot as well. 135F. That seems really high. I lowered the X to 40 amps. I think i may do the same with the 3. This is a brand new breaker too. I have to get a torque wrench still but it’s super tight on both ends. they were both pulling the same amperage on both hot lines, but one line is 20F higher than the other. So weird.

That sounds like a damaged cable if it’s drawing the same current but only one is heating up...

So to report back on this one. I did not have the cables properly torqued, as I just made them really tight. So i borrowed a friend’s torque wrench and voila, big difference. Both cars X or 3, charging at 48amps, full 11Kw, temps on the breaker did not go above 107F inside the box, so i measured directly at the hottest point.

Also, prior to torquing, the one wire inside of the HPWC was 200F!! After torquing, both were around 90-99F max.

Shame on me for this one.