Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC ground wire gauge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am installing the HPWC with a 60 amp breaker and using THHN 6 gauge wire for my hot legs. What gauge should I use for the ground wire... I was going to use 10 gauge THHN wire?

That appears to be correct per NEC:
Equipment Grounding Conductor Table 250-95

HPWC installation instructions do not call out full sized ground, like some other appliances (hot tubs) do.

I used a 60amp breaker. After plugging in your run distance into a online wire size calculator, its says you need to use 4awg wire not 6awg. Have you already purchased the wire? I made the mistake of buying off amazon and since it was a cut to length purchase by the time I realized my mistake I couldn't return it. I could have saved another ~$100 if I had got the wire from Lowes.

I checked with an online calculator for wire size and run (please see pictures below)... With both a 100 ft run and 50 ft run, giving me results of using a 8 gauge wire and a 6 gauge wire, respectively.
Screenshot_20200107-113952.png
Screenshot_20200107-113919.png

My HPWC uses 10 gauge for the ground. The run from the panel (which at the service entrance, practically) is about 80-90 feet. However, my HPWC is on a 30 amp breaker because I have 100 amp service (condo building). The hot wires are 8 gauge.

BTW, I wouldn't trust that calculator at all.... #8 in conduit is never allowed to carry 60 amps. Regardless of whether its in romex or conduit, and even if you ignore the 75c rating of the HPWC's connectors.

Ampacity Charts - Cerrowire

Note that the ratings on that page are without regard to distance... that is, you need to find an appropriate calculator to tell you if the losses are acceptable for a given length...

https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop

I used a 60amp breaker. After plugging in your run distance into a online wire size calculator, its says you need to use 4awg wire not 6awg. Have you already purchased the wire? I made the mistake of buying off amazon and since it was a cut to length purchase by the time I realized my mistake I couldn't return it. I could have saved another ~$100 if I had got the wire from Lowes.
How long was your wire run?

How long was your wire run?

https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop

For 3% drop on 6AWG carrying 48 amps(its really carrying 48 amps, even though the THHN has to be rated for 60), you can go 169 feet overall(bidirectionally, pair of parallel conductors)

Interestingly, that calculator says the 6AWG won't take 60 amps... they must be assuming Romex/60c ratings, which I'm pretty surprised they would leave as an assumption.

I think it can be, but suggested practice is one black, one red. White is definitely verboten.

White is allowed, but you need to put some colored(not white, grey, or green) electrical tape near each end of it, so the person to next screw with it knows it might be live.

Its a little dated, but here's a reference.

https://www.ecmweb.com/national-electrical-code/qa/article/20890543/stumped-by-the-code

Note: upon rereading this, it's really intended for a cable like romex where the conductors are already built in and not changeable, not THHN in conduit.

Yes, two blacks should be fine. Black and red would be conventional, but not important.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks for all the input. I decided to go with 4 gauge THHN wire and 8 gauge THHN ground in 1 inch PVC schedule 40 conduit, to make pulling the wire easier. Luckily I can return the smaller wire to Home Depot.