Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC in Nashua - 80A@277V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following this thread and was also curious about this 277V HPWC. Driving home last Thursday I had the opportunity to check it out. No issues, worked like a charm. Just a single in-car charger (S 85 5/2014) displayed 11kW, 40/40A @ 272V.

While I won't claim there's an actual Supercharger void in the Nashua area, I will mention that this is no hassle location and it could help somebody out in a pinch.

Driving through the Gateway Hills development I hadn't realized how much expansion (still ongoing) had taken place up on that tiered hillside. I think I saw more MA plates in the parking lots than NH. No specific site in mind, but can't rule out a potential area off Rt 3 for a future Service Center.

• Disagree
Reactions: MMC-
Had my annual service and Dedham realized they didn't configure the firmware correctly. Came back today to try it out and saw the full dual charger in action.

Attachments

• IMG_6851.JPG
    IMG_6851.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 90
Just now called charger technical support at 650-681-6133. The guy said they took the 277 Volt Wye configuration out of the manual because that's too close to the max of 282 Volts for Tesla on-board chargers. Presumably at 282 Volts, the charger will interrupt and go into a fault mode. Problem is, 277 Volts is less than 2% less than the failure-inducing max of 282 Volts, and line voltages can sometimes go up and down by that amount depending on daily loads. It's my understanding that the 282 Volt limit is really a good and safe margin for 240 Volts, providing a 15% margin. At my house we sometimes hit 252 Volts, so you can see you need a healthy margin.

Bottom line appears to be that, yes, all Tesla's can charge at voltages up to 282 Volts, and will charge a little faster because the current is constant. But 277 Volts will charge only 15% faster than 240. Not worth it in my opinion.

In fact, Tesla charger technical support recommends and "anti bucking transformer" if you need to use 277 Volts, to get it down to a Voltage that's less likely trigger a charger fault as line voltages vary from the nominal.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl