TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HPWC installation mistake Electrician

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by EasterEgg, Jun 4, 2018.

1. EasterEgg

EasterEgg Member

View attachment 9750 View attachment 9749 I had my HPWC installed last Friday by a Tesla recommended Electrician. After he was done I wanted to adjust the charging cable hanging on the charger. As I unwind it and wing or back on the charger it was wobbling, the charger. I have to double check it again and yes, it's wobbly.

As I remove the charger to look at the bracket, my Electrician only used 2 screws to mount the charger on my narrow stud on the garage. The top screw head fell off while I was moving it meaning it was only held together by one screw.

I drove to Home Depot directly and bought one 2 x 2 plywood and some wood screws. I have mounted the plywood between 2 studs using six 2 inch woods screws and then mounted the HPWC bracket with six wood screws. It's so secure now that I can hang on it if I want.

You guys think the Electrician did a bad job ?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

He's an electrician not a carpenter! :D
    Hopefully his electrical work is better than that. Obviously mounting it with one screw is not good.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. 40milecommuter

I see he put a pigtail on the HPWC. That's a big NO NO. Putting a NEMA 14-50 on a HPWC is explicitly against the NEC. Good luck with any insurance claims...

4. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

I believe that is incorrect. See NEC section 625.44.
    625.44 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Connection.

5. EasterEgg

EasterEgg Member

Wiring the HPWC to an 14-50 is my preference. I wanted to keep mobile charger in the car for emergencies and just in case that I don't have a Tesla in the future, I can still use the outlet.

Everything is up to code including the pig tail connection to the 15-50 with 6 gauge wire and 50A breaker.

6. davewill

davewill Member

Hardly. There is a small bit of debate over whether it's actually code compliant (see the charging FAQ), but if inspectors seem fine with it.

7. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

You linked to it, but did you read it? It still says that is not allowed.
    625.44 section (B) says:
    "and complying with all of the following:"

So there are conditions 1 and 2 that both have to be complied with. Section 1 is already violated.

(1) It is intended for connection to nonlocking, 2-pole, 3-wire and 3-pole, 4-wire, grounding-type receptacle outlets rated not more than 50 amperes.

Tesla's wall connector is intended to be hardwired. People are deciding they want to add a cord, in contradiction to its intended installation. That section of the code does cover the many other kinds of EVSEs that are built with pluggable cords, that are intended to be plugged in.

8. EasterEgg

EasterEgg Member

The Inspector passed the HPWC with the pig tail and granted the permit.
    I'm in Los Angeles, this may vary on your location but I'm good to go.

• Like x 1
  9. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

I thought that Tesla actually sold a version with a 14-50 pigtail. I guess this is the thread I was thinking of: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/help-installing-a-tesla-hpwc-40-amp-version-nema-14-50.108829/
    Seems like it might not be official though the OP seems to feel it is legit. Maybe Tesla sells them only directly to installers?

10. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

I've seen the threads on that. They look very legitimate, but no one seems to really know where they come from.

11. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

I just installed a Telsa Wall Connector myself. It comes with two screws to screw it to the wall and they did not look very beefy to me. I used some much larger screws I had laying around for decking. (though this made it tough to mount the wall connector onto the bracket since the screw heads were a bit big). So he installed it per the instructions, though sounds like he may have damaged a screw during install?

I too question the installation of that pigtail. What size breaker did your electrician install? Also, can you take the cover off the wall connector and look at the rotary dial setting for max power? (or take a picture and post it as well) The Wall Connector can take up to a 100a circuit (80 amps usable). The Model 3 long range can draw up to 48 amps which would require a 60 amp breaker. So if you want to be able to max your charge rate I would want it on a 60a breaker. Can you also figure out what wire gauges he used for the hots, neutral, and ground? (maybe take off your panel cover and take a picture if you are comfortable doing that)

My reading of NEC 625.44 is that the Tesla Wall Connector is intended to be "Stationary Equipment" - meaning it is "Fixed in Place" (i.e. not easily removable without tools). That means you fall into NEC 625.44 (C) which says "All other equipment shall be permanently wired and fixed in place to the supporting surface."

So I believe your install is non-optimal in that I am guessing (hoping?) that it is only on a 50a breaker, and also it is not code compliant due to the above.

Now with that being said, I can't think of any serious safety issues with how it is installed (from what I can see in the pictures) and you probably will get plenty of range with a 50 amp circuit (40 amps of actual charging). You are likely missing out on that extra eight amps though.

I really don't get why your electrician did not just hardwire it... Maybe the thought is that making it a plug allows that to count as a needed "disconnect"?

• Like x 1
  12. EasterEgg

EasterEgg Member

The charger is connected to a 50A breaker with 6 gauge coper wire and set to 40A.
    I'm ok getting 37 miles per hour with this setup. It was my preference too have the charger with a pig tail. For the following reasons:

1. I want to keep my mobile charger in my car and I didn't want to plug and unplug all the time.
    2. I wanted a back up if the HPWC fails.
    3. I have received a great deal on the HPWC.
    4. Just in case if I didn't own a Tesla in the future, I have use the outlet for another charger.

The city inspector stop by and approved everything and gave me my permit, I'm in Los Angeles

13. eprosenx

eprosenx Member

Got it! I follow your logic.

Question: Did the HPWC you ordered somehow come with the pigtail from whoever you ordered it from? Or did your electrician install that for you? (curious where he got the whip - it looks to be very thick which makes me think high quality)

With that being said, my reading of this is that it does NOT meet 2017 NEC (though your local jurisdiction may follow older code or have local modifications to it).

My inspector came out and spent just a couple minutes looking at my install. I could not convince him to even take the breaker panel cover off and check out what I had done. He saw my pipe bending and was super impressed and just signed off right there (when I really did want him to look deeper just to make sure I did not miss anything!). So the moral of the story is that inspectors miss or chose not to call out TONS of things that are not code compliant. ;-)

• Like x 1
  14. EasterEgg

EasterEgg Member

My Tesla recommended electrician provided the pig tail as the HPWC didn't come with one. The Inspector was pretty thorough during his inspection and was satisfied with the work.