Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed my WC (with a cord) and the install was super easy on an existing NEMA 14-50 outlet, wired a 50 amp appliance cord to it, and set the amps to 50. Charges at 9 kWh/40 amps @ 36 mph and I keep my NEMA 14-50 outlet.

UMF2qJO.jpg

I do wish the cord was longer than 18', where I originally had the outlet installed was based on a Clipper Creek EVSE that had a 24' cord. My parking is now limited. Oh well, first-world problems.

I am confused by one thing, the included Quickstart Guide indicated the LED lights correspond to the amperage settings, 5 LEDs = 60A, 4 LEDs = 50A etc. But when my unit is charging ALL 5 led's light up. The unit was successfully commissioned via WI-FI and set to 50A and the car's display shows it's pulling 40A/9 kWh @ 36 mph.

I just installed my WC (with a cord) and the install was super easy on an existing NEMA 14-50 outlet, wired a 50 amp appliance cord to it, and set the amps to 50. Charges at 9 kWh/40 amps @ 36 mph and I keep my NEMA 14-50 outlet.

UMF2qJO.jpg

I do wish the cord was longer than 18', where I originally had the outlet installed was based on a Clipper Creek EVSE that had a 24' cord. My parking is now limited. Oh well, first-world problems.

I am confused by one thing, the included Quickstart Guide indicated the LED lights correspond to the amperage settings, 5 LEDs = 60A, 4 LEDs = 50A etc. But when my unit is charging ALL 5 led's light up. The unit was successfully commissioned via WI-FI and set to 50A and the car's display shows it's pulling 40A/9 kWh @ 36 mph.
Are the 5 lights constantly on or just during the first couple minutes? I had mine installed but I don't have the car yet. From my understanding I set it up properly for 60amps and it's on a 60 amp breaker but it's currently only showing one light, but during configuration I did have all 5 🧐

I am not an electrician so I cannot debate you on code but I note many high power devices, such as welders, have some pretty long cords. Also it sounds like the OP installed a TWC and instead of hard-wiring used a short 14-50 appliance cord.
It has been previously noted that if the manufacturer does not provide a power plug for their electrical equipment the electrical code does not allow the equipment to be fitted with a plug.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just looking at how an electric range/oven with a 14-50 power plug is used this is very different from an EVSE application.

The electric range may operate up to 4 burners; typically not all burners are in use at the same time and not set to the highest heat. The oven/broiler when turned on will reach a set temperature and then the thermostat will cycle the heating elements on and off.

The EVSE will draw the maximum current from the circuit for the duration of the charging period that could last more than 8 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: mrwug and Rocky_H
So “technically” the OP’s installation is not to code anyway, right?
Interesting discussion, I will check with my electrician and see what the local code says. The initial installation passed inspection as it was installed by our builder and specifically identified as an "Electric Vehicle" power source. No mention was made of pigtail length. I measured mine and come up with about 24 inches.

But how is this different from folks using extension cords to connect an EVSE?

Appreciate the comments.