Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC installer recommendation in Canberra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All you need is a 32amp 5pin 3phase socket - nothing complicated, and a lot cheaper than employing a Tesla preferred contractor.
If the house is 1p, then still install a 3p socket with 1p on L1.
Then a lead and angled plug (only about $25 each on Ebay) fitted to the HPWC to make it mobile (for bush trips) and easier to replace if it fails.

Reactions: 1001
I have received a quote of around $750 from O'Brien.
My meter box is just on the other side of the garage wall where the charger will be installed and I do not have 3ph.
Trying to get a couple more before I finalise.

Thanks,
Sam

My meter box is just on the other side of the garage wall where the charger will be installed and I do not have 3ph
That’s sounds too much. The “Tesla tax” might be in operation there. I had a 3-phase 32A install with new 3-phase RCBO and concealed cable run through to the sub board for $516 inc GST.

Reactions: Techno-phile
My meter box is just on the other side of the garage wall where the charger will be installed and I do not have 3ph.
Trying to get a couple more before I finalise.

Thanks,
Sam
If the charger is next to the meter box your electrician will be thrilled to get $750 for that job.
It really is a very straightforward job, I’ve done several myself as a layman.
Since you are providing the HPWC there is very little material cost to the electrician, maybe $100.

Reactions: kkillebrew
I’m not in canberra however the best person is any competent electrician. Its not rocket science. Its connected like any other hard wired appliance. No more difficult in single phase then connecting a power point, just more time consuming as you need a new circuit. A stock standard every day any electrician standard new circuit.
The only thing that catches electricians out is the full reset at the end, but its explained in the manual. You press a button.

My recent quote from O'Brien was $1,500 for a 32A dedicated 1p circuit, which is similar to a quote from the electrician who installed my solar panel inverter system. I believe the quote is that high because the switch box is on the other side of the house to my detached brick garage, so there's be a reasonably long heavy core cable run to the garage with conduiting involved between.
Anyway, I opted to go with O'Brien because I felt I'd have some extra come-back if they do a shoddy job as they are a Tesla-endorsed sparkie.

Talking about this though, does anyone who has had a new circuit installed also have solar on their house? I assumed that the wall connector could be wired in to take AC power from the solar inverter, but then I read in another thread that the connector will still pull power from the grid - which sorta defeats the point a little.

My recent quote from O'Brien was $1,500 for a 32A dedicated 1p circuit, which is similar to a quote from the electrician who installed my solar panel inverter system. I believe the quote is that high because the switch box is on the other side of the house to my detached brick garage, so there's be a reasonably long heavy core cable run to the garage with conduiting involved between.
Anyway, I opted to go with O'Brien because I felt I'd have some extra come-back if they do a shoddy job as they are a Tesla-endorsed sparkie.

Talking about this though, does anyone who has had a new circuit installed also have solar on their house? I assumed that the wall connector could be wired in to take AC power from the solar inverter, but then I read in another thread that the connector will still pull power from the grid - which sorta defeats the point a little.
You wire the connector like everything else in your house, that is straight to the board with its own breaker. Your invertor then feeds power to the board when it is available, and its up to you to manage loads in your house based on solar being produced. Works well if you have an app showing production and consumption.
I only plug my tesla’s in when there is spare solar, although with the batteries it has smoothed out a fair bit.

Rooftop PV and inverter serves all of your house’s circuits. Adding a “new” circuit in a house just means tapping in a new breaker to the existing wiring from the main board, or a sub-board if you have them. If the total house load is more than what the PV is generating or inverter can supply, then the balance is made from grid draw. If not, you can charge your car purely on solar.

My HPWC was connected to a new 3-phase 32A circuit added to the sub-board that serves my garage. I dial down my Model 3 charge rate to be 6A at home so that it’s possible to charge it purely from solar (5 kW inverter, 6A x 3 phase = 4.3 kW). If I ever need to charge it faster than that, I can dial it up to 16A which is 11.5 kW, and charge it overnight instead at offpeak grid rates.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
I should add that, strictly speaking, only one phase in a 3-phase house is directly served by solar, unless you have a 3 phase inverter. Further, only one phase will be backed up, if you have a single PW2. However Tesla’s PW2 and Gateway fudges the exported solar on Phase A so that it nets out consumption on all 3 phases, provided the total load is less than 5 kW. So from a billing perspective it’s as if all 3 phases were being run from solar or PW2 or both.

I should add that, strictly speaking, only one phase in a 3-phase house is directly served by solar, unless you have a 3 phase inverter. Further, only one phase will be backed up, if you have a single PW2. However Tesla’s PW2 and Gateway fudges the exported solar on Phase A so that it nets out consumption on all 3 phases, provided the total load is less than 5 kW. So from a billing perspective it’s as if all 3 phases were being run from solar or PW2 or both.
I have micro-invertors spread across all phases (2 solar circuits per phase) and yes only one phase can be backed up by PW2.

Thanks for your comments guys. Yeah, I knew I'd require a dedicated 32A circuit, but I was wondering how it'd be wired in at the switchbox alongside my Reposit meter (which makes "smart" decisions for best use of the battery and grid). My house is also only single phase.
Anyway, I have a wiring diagram for my solar installation, so I'll give that the O'Brien to reduce their need for back-tracing. Cheers.

Just an update to this for others looking for more up to date prices in Canberra.

I'm running single-phase and my meter box is about 13m from the wall where the charger is being installed. If yours is closer you may well be able to get a cheaper install.

I reached out to Chesters Electrical as TeslaSam further up in this thread mentioned a crazy cheap price he got. In 2022 they quoted me 1k. It may be due to the busy period all tradies seem to be in atm.

I received about 5 quotes. I was able to lock down an $850 install from 'Electric Vehicles Canberra', that covers all installs up to 15m from the meter box. All other quotes were 1k and above.

Hope this is helpful for someone.

Reactions: Punchbuggy
Just an update to this for others looking for more up to date prices in Canberra.

I'm running single-phase and my meter box is about 13m from the wall where the charger is being installed. If yours is closer you may well be able to get a cheaper install.

I reached out to Chesters Electrical as TeslaSam further up in this thread mentioned a crazy cheap price he got. In 2022 they quoted me 1k. It may be due to the busy period all tradies seem to be in atm.

I received about 5 quotes. I was able to lock down an $850 install from 'Electric Vehicles Canberra', that covers all installs up to 15m from the meter box. All other quotes were 1k and above.

Hope this is helpful for someone.
Yes, thanks Mosesvii. I'm looking to install a charger and my initial quote was $1,300 which seems to include a 'Tesla Tax'! I'll certainly be asking around for other quotes.