Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC - Is it OK to charge with most of the cable coiled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my electrician coming tomorrow to wire in the 6-15 until the arrival of my HPWC. The distance from the wall to my car will be about 5ft, meaning that a bunch of cable will stay on the storage hook, is that OK? If it's not, then I can reduce the run from the breaker box, but I'd rather not.

Thanks, Pete

I'd recommend loosening up the loops as much as possible, so they're hanging most of the way to the floor. That way the loops will be mostly exposed to air rather than all bunched up. That will help keep the cable cool.

I have my electrician coming tomorrow to wire in the 6-15 until the arrival of my HPWC. The distance from the wall to my car will be about 5ft, meaning that a bunch of cable will stay on the storage hook, is that OK? If it's not, then I can reduce the run from the breaker box, but I'd rather not.

With only 25 foot of that large cord that Tesla uses, it'll be hard to create enough of a field to overheat the cable. Don't take a 1/2" rod or 2" PVC pipe and coil the cable around it and you'll be ok. :)