TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HPWC - Is it OK to charge with most of the cable coiled?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by pete8314, Jan 23, 2013.

1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I have my electrician coming tomorrow to wire in the 6-15 until the arrival of my HPWC. The distance from the wall to my car will be about 5ft, meaning that a bunch of cable will stay on the storage hook, is that OK? If it's not, then I can reduce the run from the breaker box, but I'd rather not.

Thanks, Pete

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'd recommend loosening up the loops as much as possible, so they're hanging most of the way to the floor. That way the loops will be mostly exposed to air rather than all bunched up. That will help keep the cable cool.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

With only 25 foot of that large cord that Tesla uses, it'll be hard to create enough of a field to overheat the cable. Don't take a 1/2" rod or 2" PVC pipe and coil the cable around it and you'll be ok. :)

4. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

If you're still worried, you can always do "figure-eight" coiling. I do this for convenience to prevent tangling with most cords anyway.

5. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Thanks all, that helps a lot.