Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of getting everything ready for my upcoming model x delivery. I just installed my HPWC. The unit is installed off of a newly installed 100 amp sub panel in my garage.
I am currently only using a 60 amp breaker to the HPWC. However I have run into an issue.
The HPWC will not give me a green light on the unit. Whenever I flip on the breaker all I get is a flashing red light. This continues for as long as I leave the breaker switched on. I have double and triple checked all of the wiring. I have performed a reset and a restart on the HPWC. I have checked voltage at the HPWC termination block and everything appears to be installed correctly but I just can't get a green light. I have taken a couple pictures that I will try to upload. I am curious if anyone else has seen this issue with the HPWCs? Or if anyone has any suggestions to try and get this thing working? I am using #3 thhn copper wire for both L1 and L2 and using#4 thhn copper wire for ground. I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20160904_022732.jpg
    20160904_022732.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20160904_022746.jpg
    20160904_022746.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 107
I am in the process of getting everything ready for my upcoming model x delivery. I just installed my HPWC. The unit is installed off of a newly installed 100 amp sub panel in my garage.
I am currently only using a 60 amp breaker to the HPWC. However I have run into an issue.
The HPWC will not give me a green light on the unit. Whenever I flip on the breaker all I get is a flashing red light. This continues for as long as I leave the breaker switched on. I have double and triple checked all of the wiring. I have performed a reset and a restart on the HPWC. I have checked voltage at the HPWC termination block and everything appears to be installed correctly but I just can't get a green light. I have taken a couple pictures that I will try to upload. I am curious if anyone else has seen this issue with the HPWCs? Or if anyone has any suggestions to try and get this thing working? I am using #3 thhn copper wire for both L1 and L2 and using#4 thhn copper wire for ground. I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks.
Make sure you didn't pinch a wire when you mounted the unit on the backer plate

Looks like your ground is connected to the Neutral and not Ground for the 30 amp breaker

Your ground lug may not to bonded to the box properly.
I will check that out ..the 30 amp is a small mini split AC that I just installed in the garage. How can I I check that the ground bar is grounded properly...since this is a sub panel I know the neutral bar has to be isolated from the ground which it is...you can see the large bare ground running directly behind the green ground...the HPWC is not touching the neutral bar in any way...

Is buying HPWC directly from Tesla for $550 the best option?
Is there a discount for owning a car?

You can use any charger you like with the J1772 adapter. I used a Chevy Voltec charger for a couple of years but it was slow (15 amps) and would constantly pop its internal fuses. I decided to go with a Tesla HPWC since they are designed well and not very expensive when compared to other chargers capable of similar charge rates.

I don't know of any discounts with Tesla.

I will check that out ..the 30 amp is a small mini split AC that I just installed in the garage. How can I I check that the ground bar is grounded properly...since this is a sub panel I know the neutral bar has to be isolated from the ground which it is...you can see the large bare ground running directly behind the green ground...the HPWC is not touching the neutral bar in any way...

If all of your settings are correct in the HPWC as mentioned above, I would follow and check connections on the ground all the way back to the main panel if necessary. You can use a multimeter, but that will only show a complete open. Check your power connections and make sure that they are not set on insulation and are properly seated.

View attachment 193084 Wait a second... Is your HPWC connected to neutral in your sub panel? I'm pretty sure it has to be connected to the two legs and ground. See photo above from the install guide.
Actually it is funny you ask that...I started off with the ground connected to neutral because in most situations that would be ok...however I reviewed the docs and the picture shown has the green #4 ground connected to the bare aluminum ground. I moved it from the neutral to the ground bar. I am starting to think the unit itself is bad since I already tracked back the aluminum ground and it is grounded properly...I am kind of at a loss...

All I can say is getting #2 wire into the power lugs was a PITA. We had to do it with the charger on the ground and then feed the wires back into the conduit and sub panel. Luckily that was only 2 feet. When we thought we had a connection it was not solid. The angle is really bad.