TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HPWC issue

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Jbrandon2002, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Jbrandon2002

Jbrandon2002 Member

I am in the process of getting everything ready for my upcoming model x delivery. I just installed my HPWC. The unit is installed off of a newly installed 100 amp sub panel in my garage.
    I am currently only using a 60 amp breaker to the HPWC. However I have run into an issue.
    The HPWC will not give me a green light on the unit. Whenever I flip on the breaker all I get is a flashing red light. This continues for as long as I leave the breaker switched on. I have double and triple checked all of the wiring. I have performed a reset and a restart on the HPWC. I have checked voltage at the HPWC termination block and everything appears to be installed correctly but I just can't get a green light. I have taken a couple pictures that I will try to upload. I am curious if anyone else has seen this issue with the HPWCs? Or if anyone has any suggestions to try and get this thing working? I am using #3 thhn copper wire for both L1 and L2 and using#4 thhn copper wire for ground. I appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

First thing to check is the installation manual: there is a chart which shows you what the various red blinking lights mean. You will need to count the blinking pattern.

3. JamesG

JamesG Member

Make sure you didn't pinch a wire when you mounted the unit on the backer plate

4. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Also check the correct settings for the DIP switch.

5. Jbrandon2002

Jbrandon2002 Member

The issue is that there is no pattern. The timing of the blinking is consistent and there are no gaps.
    Thanks.

6. Jbrandon2002

Jbrandon2002 Member

Checked and rechecked the dip switches. Switch one is off and switch 2 is on. Some I have 240v service.

7. richrootes

richrootes Member

What's happening on the 30A breaker? Looks like you have a black and white hooked up to it - shouldn't the white come off the neutral rail?

8. TimsRunnin

TimsRunnin Member

Make sure the circular amperage selector to the right of the dip switches is set correctly. My HWPC came with the amperage selector set in test mode.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#9 Lloyd, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Looks like your ground is connected to the Neutral and not Ground for the 30 amp breaker

Your ground lug may not to bonded to the box properly.

10. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

Check your DIP switch to the left of the rotary switch. For line to line 240VAC, the 1st DIP switch must be set in the down position. I made a videos of my install. Maybe this will help.

11. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

That's possible based on the OP reporting continuous red flashing (or a single flash over and over) which the manual states may be a ground fault.

12. number12

number12 Member

Is buying HPWC directly from Tesla for $550 the best option?
    Is there a discount for owning a car?

13. Jbrandon2002

Jbrandon2002 Member

I will check that out ..the 30 amp is a small mini split AC that I just installed in the garage. How can I I check that the ground bar is grounded properly...since this is a sub panel I know the neutral bar has to be isolated from the ground which it is...you can see the large bare ground running directly behind the green ground...the HPWC is not touching the neutral bar in any way...

14. Jbrandon2002

Jbrandon2002 Member

No discount..I bought with the plan to ultimately have two eventually and they can run off the same breaker.

15. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

You can use any charger you like with the J1772 adapter. I used a Chevy Voltec charger for a couple of years but it was slow (15 amps) and would constantly pop its internal fuses. I decided to go with a Tesla HPWC since they are designed well and not very expensive when compared to other chargers capable of similar charge rates.

I don't know of any discounts with Tesla.

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

If all of your settings are correct in the HPWC as mentioned above, I would follow and check connections on the ground all the way back to the main panel if necessary. You can use a multimeter, but that will only show a complete open. Check your power connections and make sure that they are not set on insulation and are properly seated.

17. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

image.jpeg Wait a second... Is your HPWC connected to neutral in your sub panel? I'm pretty sure it has to be connected to the two legs and ground. See photo above from the install guide.

18. Jbrandon2002

Jbrandon2002 Member

Actually it is funny you ask that...I started off with the ground connected to neutral because in most situations that would be ok...however I reviewed the docs and the picture shown has the green #4 ground connected to the bare aluminum ground. I moved it from the neutral to the ground bar. I am starting to think the unit itself is bad since I already tracked back the aluminum ground and it is grounded properly...I am kind of at a loss...

19. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

Bummer, It sounds like you have gone over just about everything. Like you said, you may just have a bad unit.

20. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

All I can say is getting #2 wire into the power lugs was a PITA. We had to do it with the charger on the ground and then feed the wires back into the conduit and sub panel. Luckily that was only 2 feet. When we thought we had a connection it was not solid. The angle is really bad.