Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC no longer charging after Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got an V1 HPWC that charges at 80 amps on my dual charger P85D. It worked in a bulletproof fashion for many years. I brought the car in to replace a leaky LCD screen and they convinced me that the Infotainment Upgrade made more sense, so I did it. However, ever since I brought it home, it fails during the handshake and gives me the solid red ring and "Charging Interrupted."

It charges fine on a a supercharger and the mobile connector. Google suggested that it might be a known issue and Tesla would fix it, but so far I'm just getting the runaround from them and my search skills fail to find a thread here

Spotify is available on my MCU1 car but I have never used it so I can't say how well it works. I've generally had good luck with Slacker (now LiveXLive) working on 4G, except when going through a tunnel or similar.

If^H^H When I have MCU1 problems, I'll get the Tegra daughterboard replacement.

Spotify works fine on MCU1. It's all I use.

For the OP, have you tried charging at any other Tesla HPWC? And having someone else charge their car on your HPWC would also help narrow down the problem. Virginia is a big state, but if you're in the northern part, I would volunteer my car to get some free electricity (ho ho ho). I only have a single onboard charger though.

I've got an V1 HPWC that charges at 80 amps on my dual charger P85D. It worked in a bulletproof fashion for many years. I brought the car in to replace a leaky LCD screen and they convinced me that the Infotainment Upgrade made more sense, so I did it. However, ever since I brought it home, it fails during the handshake and gives me the solid red ring and "Charging Interrupted."

It charges fine on a a supercharger and the mobile connector. Google suggested that it might be a known issue and Tesla would fix it, but so far I'm just getting the runaround from them and my search skills fail to find a thread here
Yes, I'm pretty sure I do know what this is. When Tesla started selling the Model X, and then brought most of those changes to the refreshed Model S in mid 2016, people started reporting this a ton on the other forum on Tesla's website. The newer MCU in the console has some kind of incompatibility with the older wall connectors. And Tesla never was able to figure out any way to fix it with software, so they would just send people a new Gen2 wall connector to replace the older Gen1 wall connectors that were incompatible with the newer cars.

So since you get the newer MCU while your car was in, that seems to be what introduced the new incompatible part, which is why it won't work with your old Gen1 wall connector now.

This obviously brings up a certain problem with the hundreds of Gen1 wall connectors that were installed at hotels and now won't work with the newer vehicles.

Anyway, here are some threads on it that I was able to find:

Same Home charger....not the same

Gen 1 HPWC with newer Model Xs?

Wall Connector repair?

Wow, that's crazy. Imagine pulling up to a hotel with a low SoC, plugging in and finding you couldn't charge with their operational charger. I've stayed a few places where I depended on the charger being functional, else I'd be stranded. One was on the day I bought the car where I drove it home from Chicago and stopped in Akron for the night. Another one of those places was a pretty remote B&B a few weeks later!

Yes, I'm pretty sure I do know what this is. When Tesla started selling the Model X, and then brought most of those changes to the refreshed Model S in mid 2016, people started reporting this a ton on the other forum on Tesla's website. The newer MCU in the console has some kind of incompatibility with the older wall connectors. And Tesla never was able to figure out any way to fix it with software, so they would just send people a new Gen2 wall connector to replace the older Gen1 wall connectors that were incompatible with the newer cars.

So since you get the newer MCU while your car was in, that seems to be what introduced the new incompatible part, which is why it won't work with your old Gen1 wall connector now.

This obviously brings up a certain problem with the hundreds of Gen1 wall connectors that were installed at hotels and now won't work with the newer vehicles.

Anyway, here are some threads on it that I was able to find:

Same Home charger....not the same

Gen 1 HPWC with newer Model Xs?

Wall Connector repair?

Thank you so much! I had heard this was a known issue, but could not find any of those threads, I have a friend with an older S and it charges fine on my HPWC, so it’s 100% a hardware incompatibility. I guess I could go set the dipswitches down to 40 amps, but I find that somewhat irksome.

We encountered this issue immediately after delivery of our 2018 X 100D in mid 2018.

Our gen 1 HPWC at home would not charge our X (it had worked fine on our 2012 S P85 that we traded in for the X and also with our 2017 S 100D - both with MCU1). We also encountered the same issue with several gen 1 destination chargers.

Contacted Tesla's charging support team (at that time, it was much easier to reach Tesla support on the phone...) and they confirmed there was an incompatibility between MCU2 and gen 1 HPWC, and that they were working on a software fix. Since it could be a while before the fix was released, they sent us a replacement gen 2 HPWC for use at home.

Last year, we were able to charge on a gen 1 destination charger with our 2018 X, and assumed the promised software fix had been distributed.

MCU1 and MCU2 have different processors. The MCU2 processor is faster, which could introduce timing problems - the issue with MCU2 and gen 1 HPWC appeared to be a "handshake" issue when establishing communication between the MCU2 and the HPWC to initiate charging - and if code wasn't properly written, it's possible the handshake was failing because MCU2 was running too fast. The other possibility is source code incompatibility. MCU1 and MCU2 require different source code in some areas - and if they did a new implementation or re-implemented the handshake software, there could be a flaw in the logic.

If another MCU1 Tesla charges without problems, then it could be an issue with the vehicle and not the HPWC. A mobile service visit to observe the charging problem may be a reasonable step to get the issue resolved.